Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaking roof....anyone?

Options
  • 18-01-2013 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Good morning
    We have an ungoing leaky roof (2 bed townhouse over sitting room) and Durkans looked (literally) at it twice over the years. It occurs during the windy and wet weather. We spent some money on getting it seen to recently but based on this mornings drops it appears to be a bigger problem than anticipated and the tiles have to be lifted.
    Basically I was wondering has anyone had a similar problem and what fixed it?
    I have of course contacted Durkans and await a response.
    The quote we got this morning was high but fair but I am hoping there might be some other solutions that people have first hand experience with.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

I haven't had any visible leaks but do have a problem with one of the vent pipes that runs through the attic.
    During periods of heavy rain, the pipe sags and fills with water. I check it every few weeks and empty it.
    If I didn't do this, I expect that it would end up on a ceiling somewhere. Maybe check this out just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Car2318

Thanks Mullie
    Afraid it definitely is a roof problem. Our sitting room is at back of house and the leak occurs where the extended part of the downstairs build joins with the upstairs back bedroom . You can clearly see the line of where the builds join from the water mark on the ceiling :(
    We think there may now be a hols in the felt and although our part of roof has been sealed etc the water may be getting it from a gap on someone elses roof and flowing down to a possible hole in the felt!

Please wind and rain stop :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

sounds like poor detailing with lapping felt along with tiling on a low-pitched roof. Is your home timber-framed?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Yeap, sounds like the flashing is too short or something..

The muppets done the same on my house.. In actual fact the flashing came off in my hand...
    Luckily enough Tec-7 was invented for such carry on's by cowboys..

All fixed for a tenner.. (€12 if you go to woodies!)

Advertisement