Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home grown hardwoods.

Options
  • 18-01-2013 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Is there any business' supplying home grown hardwoods, anywhere you check its always american hardwoods which is a shame or is it just that as a small country we cant supply the demand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

bizzyb wrote: »
    Is there any business' supplying home grown hardwoods, anywhere you check its always american hardwoods which is a shame or is it just that as a small country we cant supply the demand.

Just last week I rang the whole country and only one person had birch! They I got it from said he buys fallin trees and trees that going to be cut down and saws them up into planks and then dries them

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

It kills me to see hundreds of adds on dondeal for hardwood firewood, perfectly good timber,altough probably not mature trees(and in some cases not even hardwood).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

:rolleyes:Eh...... the trouble is we havn't got any hardwoods to speak of.
    Since the state was founded we concentrated on conifers. Our mandrins and ministers always preferred the short term view you see.
    My local council engaged a tree surgeon to take down three elms in front of my house. I persuaded him to allow me the one in front of my house -- the others went into his pocket as firewood.
    I'm tempted to get into small scale milling for fruitwoods etc but its mighty expensive - just lifting the trunks is a problem let alone buying a bandmill.!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

How big was the Elm you were left with? It makes me sick to see good trees like these being cut for firewood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Native hardwoods are ok for small bespoke jobs, but if i turned up with a set of stairs made in native oak it would be firstly of various shades, more knots and a higher likely hood of cupping twisting and splitting.
    grand you might say it adds character, but thats not what people want and he who pays the piper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

woodturner wrote: »
    How big was the Elm you were left with? It makes me sick to see good trees like these being cut for firewood.

The trunk was about 15 inches diameter. I'm going to get it cut into planks somehow.
    When I asked for the others I was told 'they were going somewhere else'
    If I wasn't so mad I would have offered him money but yes, it was sickening to see a 60 year old elm being turned into firewood by a tree surgeon of all people.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

recipio wrote: »
    The trunk was about 15 inches diameter. I'm going to get it cut into planks somehow.
    When I asked for the others I was told 'they were going somewhere else'
    If I wasn't so mad I would have offered him money but yes, it was sickening to see a 60 year old elm being turned into firewood by a tree surgeon of all people.

Bugger. A friend of mine was given a 5ft length of Cherry 18" in diameter that I am going to turn bowls from. He was lucky to get it because the person cutting it had started to cut it for firewood :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Coillte have a sawmill in Drundrum co tipperary who sell most native hardwood kiln dried, you could also look on the Coford website I think they have a link to wood for sale, what part of the country are you in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

Coillte have a sawmill in Drundrum co tipperary who sell most native hardwood kiln dried, you could also look on the Coford website I think they have a link to wood for sale, what part of the country are you in ?
    Cheers for the reply, i will check it out,i am based in Banagher Co.Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hunkypex

You might want to try Lisnavagh timber in Carlow too. I've never bought off them so I don't know what the quality of the timber is like though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement