Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adkins Sacked

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Villa, QPR and Reading will be delighted with this move, gives them a bit of hope. Daft decision.

9/5 for relegation on Paddy Power looks good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

One of the strangest sackings in some time, makes no sense whatsoever. Feel sorry for Adkins, he was doing a great job there and doesn't deserve this at all, but if the Southampton board are going to make stupid decisions like this he's better off out of there tbh. Anyone with a bit of cop on can see he's been hard done here, and can see what he has achieved in the past few years. He'll be in the running for any vacant manager spots that come up in the near future I'm sure. Hope Southampton go down after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

IvySlayer wrote: »
    He's disgusted and the club is now a laughing stock.

Basically what they've become!

Would love to hear the board justifying that decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i hope...

- the players refuse to play, or they deliberately lower their performance
    - get the club relegated
    - all leave the club before the start of next season (Clyne, Lallana, Lambert, Schneiderlin and Puncheon won't be short of potential suitors)
    - then they freefall into oblivion.

i do feel for the fans though. Adkins was doing a brilliant job.

i was actually just thinking today about sticking up a thread or writing something about Southampton, how they'd done well to ignore that difficult start, stick with the man who got them 2 promotions, and were reaping the benefits now.

incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Baffled when I heard this. Still am.

Had been cheering on Southampton all the way too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Adkins favourite with some bookies to become Blackpool manager according to Sky Sports News

Steven Wyeth ‏@stevenwyeth
    When Nigel Adkins took charge at #saintsfc 28 months ago they were 22nd in League 1. Now 15th in PL, lost just 2 of 12 #madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Weird decision. Fair play to Adkins and what he achieved there considering that was his first ever managers job. Wasn't he the physio there prior to that?

Hopefully he walks into another job fairly quickly.

• Advertisement

Anyone wrote: »
    Weird decision. Fair play to Adkins and what he achieved there considering that was his first ever managers job. Wasn't he the physio there prior to that?

He was player-manager at Bangor City for a few years in the mid-90s and later became manager of Scunthorpe in 2006, he was previously the physio there.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭zztop

Completely STUNNED

Speechless

New guy cant even speak English

Its a Skate Conspiracy:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Living in Southampton at the moment, every footy fan I know totally bemused. Saw one guy thinking about tearing up his season ticket, ridiculous decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Interesting comments about the Southampton chairman Nicola Cortese from Le Tissier back in October.
    "I suppose the only real story will probably come out when he leaves the football club. He is not a very nice human being. It's as simple as that.

"I think a lot of the stuff will come out about him when he leaves the football club and only when he leaves. He has a lot of hold over a lot of people and while the club is doing well on the pitch he will get away with it.

"When it's not quite going so well and the spotlight starts falling on other areas of the football pitch, then that's when he'll come under a little bit of pressure."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'm just surprised Sir Clive wasn't in the hunt, with his football phrases on his hand.

Terrible decision, I hope Adkins waits for another Prem club instead of going back down a level, to get back to back promotions and have his team as competitive as they are shows he deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Peadar_85

Even Mike Ashley would be embarrassed by that decision!

The timing is bonkers - 2 days after coming back from 2 down to draw with the European champs and moving 3 points from safety...morale in the camp was hardly poor with results like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

236881.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This makes the actions of the Wolves board last February look smart!

Incredible stupid action if it was taken for football reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Harshest/most ridiculous sacking ever?

2 successive promotions.

On course for 38 points which would probably secure safety in his first season in the Premier League.

Playing exciting, attacking football.

They should be building a statue of him and instead they're sacking him?!

I certainly can't think of a harsher sacking. The Chelsea ones and Hughton don't come close to this imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

strange decision made even stranger by the fact they made a 3.5m signing a few days ago and are just starting to find some form.

However don't be so quick to judge the new guy. give him a chance at least. Newcastle fans were raging when Pardew was appointed but he did well enough last season (less said about this season the better).

Anyone wrote: »

No, that was with Scunthorpe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Peadar_85 wrote: »
    Even Mike Ashley would be embarrassed by that decision!

The timing is bonkers - 2 days after coming back from 2 down to draw with the European champs and moving 3 points from safety...morale in the camp was hardly poor with results like that

It's very similar to Hughton's sacking two years ago. I guess that actually worked out alright for Newcastle in the end (and Hughton). We'll see if this turns out the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Respected club to laughing stock in one tweet.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Local_Chap wrote: »
    Adkins favourite with some bookies to become Blackpool manager according to Sky Sports News

Jesus, going from one basket case chairman to another there. Blackpool are only going one direction and that is down down down.

carlop wrote: »
    It's very similar to Hughton's sacking two years ago. I guess that actually worked out alright for Newcastle in the end (and Hughton). We'll see if this turns out the same way.

Nah as bad as Hughton's sacking was this one is on a different level altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

carlop wrote: »

Big difference being Newcastle were actually on a poor run when Hughton was sacked which gets overlooked. Southampton have only lost two in 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Stupid sacking. If this happened in FM I'd be reporting it as a bug

gimmick wrote: »
    Jesus, going from one basket case chairman to another there. Blackpool are only going one direction and that is down down down.

Good article on F365 the other day about the chairman. He's one shady character

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Football is amazing sometimes.

You have to feel for the fans. It's a nightmare scenario for them.

Adkins will have a very wide choice of jobs open to him. Might be worth his while holding out for the next PL manager slot to open rather than go back down the leagues. He's a great prospect now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

shrewdness wrote: »
    Steven Wyeth ‏@stevenwyeth
    When Nigel Adkins took charge at #saintsfc 28 months ago they were 22nd in League 1. Now 15th in PL, lost just 2 of 12 #madness

So in less than two and a half years he climbed 50 league places. Incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Either this is a genius move.... or just stupidity of the highest order! Probably the latter

Pro. F wrote: »
    You have to feel for the fans. It's a nightmare scenario for them.

I actually agree and disagree with this. As a Southampton fan, I'm happy to have a chairman who has put enough money behind the club to get us to where we are now. Back to back promotions and a good run of form, and looking like we could stay in the top tier.

However, with that money and investment comes the nonsense that has crept into football over the last couple of decades. To sack a successful and much-admired manager at this point of the season is absolute lunacy.

Complete Catch-22 situation.

Anyway, I'm done with football for another while. Was starting to enjoy watching Southampton playing good football again but this has left a really bitter taste in the mouth.

Yakult wrote: »
    Either this is a genius move.... or just stupidity of the highest order! Probably the latter

There is 0% chance this is a genius move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Couldn't believe this when I saw it, Adkins would do a good job somewhere else as he's more than proved he's a good manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pro. F wrote: »
    Adkins will have a very wide choice of jobs open to him. Might be worth his while holding out for the next PL manager slot to open rather than go back down the leagues. He's a great prospect now.

He won't have any scope for sitting on his arse waiting for a PL job, which one is likely? Reading? Nope they know they were always likely to go back down, everyone else is safe enough even at Fulham, Villa and Newcastle.

He should probably avoid Blackpool but take the first decent Championship job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Haven't heard Pochetinos name in about a decade, until last night when flicking past ESPN Classics where Arg-Eng in 2002 was on.

The following morning he takes over a PL team. Odd!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Sunderland would be a good option for him i reckon O Neill will pack it in soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Fizman wrote: »
    Haven't heard Pochetinos name in about a decade, until last night when flicking past ESPN Classics where Arg-Eng in 2002 was on.

The following morning he takes over a PL team. Odd!!

He was Espanyol manager for a few years.

He did fairly well for a time but Espanyol is in an absolute heap, just like nearly every team in la Liga.

He looks like he could be a pretty good manager although I didn't follow his time at Espanyol that closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

What the bleeding absolute fup.

Honestly, if any Southampton fan was told that they'd be 15th in the league with 22 games played and the momentum firmly in their favour, they'd be delighted. And that's even leaving aside two promotions. I honestly have no idea what the board were expecting this season, but survival was always going to be the limit of their achievement.

I'd say Villa, Newcastle and Wigan fans are delighted - this bonehead move may have saved them from relegation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Leeds and Sheff Wed perhaps the most likely in the Championship to look to him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

S28382 wrote: »
    Sunderland would be a good option for him i reckon O Neill will pack it in soon.

O'Neill won't be going anywhere soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

This must be one of the worst sackings ever, awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Just switched my view of Southampton from Probable Survival to Probable Relegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Cant understand this sacking,gets a great result during the week against Chelsea,unbeaten in the last four PL games and in the last few months they haven't been playing too badly,they have been competitive and are out of the relegation zone be it only by three points,and then they sack him,what a strange decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

mike65 wrote: »
    He won't have any scope for sitting on his arse waiting for a PL job, which one is likely? Reading? Nope they know they were always likely to go back down, everyone else is safe enough even at Fulham, Villa and Newcastle.

He should probably avoid Blackpool but take the first decent Championship job.

I'm talking about staying out of it for up to a year. A few good PL opportunities will definitely come up in that time.

You might say that doing that is too big a risk. Maybe it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Seen a lot of odd sackings recently which actually worked so no opinion until results are seen from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

dsmythy wrote: »
    Seen a lot of odd sackings recently which actually worked so no opinion until results are seen from me.

How do you know whether they have worked or not? We'll never know, in any of those cases, whether the incumbent would have done a better job, had he been left in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

dsmythy wrote: »

LOL

Work backwards from the result, right?

It's amazing that the fundamentally incorrect method of analysing most anything in life feels so intuitive and right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I hope Southampton end up in the Championship next season . 2 Promotions in 2 years. 4 months in the premiership and outside the relegation zone. Thats loyalty for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Well, I see what he means. I imagine most of us had similar WTF thoughts about Hughton when he got the boot. Then when we saw Pardew appointed it was like a sideways step at best. It has worked pretty well for Newcastle, certainly last season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement