Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adkins Sacked

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

gimmick wrote: »
    Well, I see what he means. I imagine most of us had similar WTF thoughts about Hughton when he got the boot. Then when we saw Pardew appointed it was like a sideways step at best. It has worked pretty well for Newcastle, certainly last season.

It might work out well in the short term but I find it a disgraceful decision . The man put them back in the premier league , he deserved at least a full season in charge .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

What makes least sense to me, is why they felt the need to sack a manager who the players all no doubt loved, I'm talking about the likes of Lambert, Llalana, Fonte etc who have come up the divisions with him, and replaced him with a manager who can't speak English.

It's utter madness, and a perfect example of a board who want too much too fast. Why do promoted clubs try for immediate success which almost always results in failure, when Tony Pulis and Stoke pretty much laid out the blueprints of how to maintain Premier League stability? It's baby steps, it doesn't go League 2 > League 1> Championship > Champions League.

Utter madness, could really bite them in the arse. And then fans will turn against the board if it does. I really thought they were on course to stay up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

It might work out well in the short term but I find it a disgraceful decision . The man put them back in the premier league , he deserved at least a full season in charge .

Oh I agree entirely. I too feel the sacking is beyond contempt. I am just saying that it may work out with Pochetino as well. Unlikely I would say, but possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I hope Southampton end up in the Championship next season . 2 Promotions in 2 years. 4 months in the premiership and outside the relegation zone. Thats loyalty for you.

There are a lot of people wishing Southampton to be relegated, which is fair enough given the actions today. But there are some great, loyal football people who support the team and the club and it isn't fair that they should be punished for the actions of one or two in control (Cortese and Liebherr).

At the same time, without these two it's quite probable that the team wouldn't be in the Premier League at this moment.

Bah. I just don't know what to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    LOL

Work backwards from the result, right?

It's amazing that the fundamentally incorrect method of analysing most anything in life feels so intuitive and right.
    The greatest lesson poker ever thought me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Amazing how Southampton can go from the team everyone wanted to stay up to the team everyone wants to go down in one morning of idiocy.

Could be Villa's salvation this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I don't see why Houghton's sacking at Newcastle is being held up as an example of how daft sackings can work out for the best. Newcastle haven't particularly benefited from that course of events.

Stability in the leadership is hugely important for football clubs. And sacking managers unnecessarily also costs money which could otherwise be spent on players, staff and facilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

gimmick wrote: »
    Well, I see what he means. I imagine most of us had similar WTF thoughts about Hughton when he got the boot. Then when we saw Pardew appointed it was like a sideways step at best. It has worked pretty well for Newcastle, certainly last season.

They might get lucky, sure. But you have to analyse the decision that they've made now on the basis of the information available. Given his achievements at the club; their recent run of form; and the track record of the guy replacing him - you can call this a dreadful decision and feel good about it irrespective of what happens later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    There are a lot of people wishing Southampton to be relegated, which is fair enough given the actions today. But there are some great, loyal football people who support the team and the club and it isn't fair that they should be punished for the actions of one or two in control (Cortese and Liebherr).

At the same time, without these two it's quite probable that the team wouldn't be in the Premier League at this moment.

Don't understand it at all. Southampton fans think it's just as ridiculous as any other fans, they can't control what some muppets at the top do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

can't believe this decision :confused: the saints being on a good run of results as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Shocking.

Unless he whipped it out at a club function or something this is very difficult to understand.

It is the only explanation to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

MrJoeSoap wrote: »

I know what you are saying but to me what they did was a disgrace . I just hope Nigel Adkins can find a job soon and get a crack of managing a premier league team its the least he deserves after this .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

They might get lucky, sure. But you have to analyse the decision that they've made now on the basis of the information available. Given his achievements at the club; their recent run of form; and the track record of the guy replacing him - you can call this a dreadful decision and feel good about it irrespective of what happens later.

Not disagreeing with any of that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

This is one of the strangest moves I've seen this season. Bad start, turned it around, 3 points clear...bet McDermott's quaking in his boots now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Did Abramovich sneakily give a lecture to the visiting dignitaries on Wednesday night on how to run clubs..

Al-Fayed will have to up his game. A Michael Jackson statue does not cut it anymore in the mad chairmen stakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,564 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This is much worse than the Hughton thing. Probably the worst sacking of the Premiership era

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Childish maybe but I really really hope they go down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Its a complete disgrace, hope they get relegated now to be honest...

His record in recent :WDLWLDDDWD...Which is 14 points out of a possible 30 and he gets sacked...Utter Fcuking Disgrace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Just in from work to hear this, baffling news.
    Must be more to it than just the results

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

CSF wrote: »
    This is much worse than the Hughton thing. Probably the worst sacking of the Premiership era
    It's hardly that bad. I think it's an incredibly stupid and short-sighted decision but Southampton have been bumping along the bottom of the league for the past half-season. I would have backed Adkins to save them but we're not quite in Venky's territory yet

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    They deserve to be relegated now.
    hope they go down.
    Hope they end up in the conference tbh
    Paully D wrote: »
    I hope they go down now, ****ing ridiculous decision.
    If it means they go down, however, all the better.
    shrewdness wrote: »
    Hope Southampton go down after this.
    I hope Southampton end up in the Championship next season.
    I really really hope they go down.
    hope they get relegated now to be honest...

:(
    Pro. F wrote: »
    You have to feel for the fans.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

I think the nearest comparison is the sacking of Di Matteo at WBA but this is football and loyalty doesn't come in to it. I think it more sad that like WBA & Roy if Pochettino keeps them up and establishes them in the prem then the circumstances of Adkins departure like Di Matteo will soon be forgotten and the football train will move on. The question is. Was Di Matteo's sacking vindicated?

Only time will tell if Southampton's board have made the right call but to quote the other comments you have to feel for Adkins.

Reekwind wrote: »
    It's hardly that bad. I think it's an incredibly stupid and short-sighted decision but Southampton have been bumping along the bottom of the league for the past half-season. I would have backed Adkins to save them but we're not quite in Venky's territory yet
    You can't ignore where Adkins brought Southampton from. Allardyce never done that for Blackburn.

Childish maybe but I really really hope they go down.
    Not childish. Natural reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I was expecting Michael Appleton to be appointed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

The sacking itself is more than likely a terrible decision but think it may be a blessing in disguise for Adkins. His CV at Southampton is excellent, up and including this season as their positioning is probably above average for a promoted side, he's been widely supported by peers in the game who think its a crazy decision.

Don't think Southampton have massive potential to improve on their current level, imo have a bigger chance of worsening so he may have got out at the right time with his reputation still very much intact and would be a decent option for the next lower-mid premier league team or a team abroad looking for a new manager.

CSF wrote: »
    You can't ignore where Adkins brought Southampton from
    You can because, here and now, it's a near-irrelevancy. The only question that the Southampton board had to consider was would Adkins keep them up this season. They clearly figured no, and it's not difficult to figure out why

Now I admire Adkins as a manager (in no small part because of his past achievements with the club) but their form has not been impressive this season and Southampton were always favourites to go down. I disagree that a new manager presents the best option to stave off relegation but the decision is definitely not as mad or outlandish as some are claiming here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Southampton spent quite a bit of money during the summer. I think they spent the bones of £20m between Ramirez and Rodriguez alone.

Did Adkins get value for money? Or did he have much of a hand in the signings at all?

If the signings were deemed up to scratch was Adkins doing enough with the amount of money spent?

I'm not sure it's as simple as "Southampton are ****e - of course they'd be teetering around relegation".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

You can because, here and now, it's a near-irrelevancy. The only question that the Southampton board had to consider was would Adkins keep them up this season. They clearly figured no, and it's not difficult to figure out why

Now I admire Adkins as a manager (in no small part because of his past achievements with the club) but their form has not been impressive this season and Southampton were always favourites to go down. I disagree that a new manager presents the best option to stave off relegation but the decision is definitely not as mad or outlandish as some are claiming here

If they were always favourites to go down surely their form (slightly above relegation form) is decent going no? If people aren't content with their current position their expectations are incredibly unrealistic, especially considering this side have achieved back to back promotions and are probably punching above their weight at this level with a squad with some players who were applying their trade in league 1 a few years ago.

44% the teams promoted to the prem since it began have gone straight back down, a very large proportion of those who survived did so by the skin of their teeth. Those who finished top 10 are outliers in the sample. Imo their form is more than acceptable all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

He can't even speak English. Will he be as bad as Trap!?

• Advertisement

Rekop dog wrote: »
    If they were always favourites to go down surely their form (slightly above relegation form) is decent going no?
    No really. Southampton are not doing well this season. They're three points over the drop and would look much worse if it weren't for the implosions at Newcastle and Villa (and I'd be highly surprised if either of those went down). The club's position is in reality little different from Nov/Dec when rumours first began circulating about a potential sacking

The expectation is survival and anyone who says that Southampton were out of the woods or unlikely to be relegated is just deluding themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

I'm baffled by the sacking of Adkins, just as Southampton's results were improving. Drawing 2-2 at Chelsea from 2-0 down showed great spirit, so the players were giving him 100%.

There's no guarantee the new guy will get the same response from the players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fans organising a protest for Mondays game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

I still can't believe he got the sack, I'm actually upset for the fans because they play some great football and they're extremely likeable. At first, I was saying I'd love to see them go down now but deep down I wouldn't, they give youth a chance to impress and they have produced some class players such as Bale, Walcott, Chamerlain and I'm sure there are more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Nigel Adkins, who was sacked by Southampton, was well liked by fans and had the best win percentage in the club's history

Less than 48 hours earlier Southampton had extended their impressive run to only two defeats in 12 matches, by coming back from two goals down at Stamford Bridge to draw 2-2 with Chelsea. Adkins could never have guessed it would be his last game. The word harsh barely does it justice. He picked Southampton up off the floor in League One, winning back-to-back promotions to secure the club's return to the Premier League for the first time in seven years. The fans loved him and it was easy to see why.

Adkins believed in playing open, attacking football, which delivered plenty of goals. There were times, particularly in the early stages of the current campaign, when that approach looked a little naive. Southampton conceded 28 in the opening 10 matches but Adkins recognised and addressed the problem. In the next 12 fixtures Southampton conceded only a goal a game and picked up 18 points. They were 15th, three points clear of the bottom three after Wednesday night's memorable result against the European Champions.

Guardian blog

Nigel Adkins:

Bangor City: May 1993 - Feb 1996
    P 116 W 74 D 18 L 24 Win% 63.79

Scunthorpe United: Nov 2006 - Sep 2010
    P 199 W 83 D 44 L 72 Win% 41.71

Southampton: Sep 2010 - Jan 2013
    P 124 W 67 D 25 L 32 Win% 54.03

Bangor City
    League of Wales: 1993–94, 1994–95

Scunthorpe United
    League One champions: 2006–07
    League One play-off winners 2008–09
    Football League Trophy runners-up 2009

Southampton
    League One runners-up: 2010–11
    Championship runners-up 2011–12

Individual
    League One Manager of the Month February 2007 Scunthorpe United
    League One Manager of the Month April 2011 Southampton
    Winner of the final quarter of the Castrol LMA Managers' Performance table 2010-2011 season Southampton

Wiki

Mauricio Pochettino:

Espanyol: Jan 2009 - Nov 2012
    P 161 W 53 D 38 L 70 Win% 32.92

Wiki

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

mike65 wrote: »
    Fans organising a protest for Mondays game
    Effective protest that will never happen: no Saint's fan crosses the turnstiles. You want to protest this decision hit the owner where it hurts: his wallet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

wonga77 wrote: »
    Just in from work to hear this, baffling news.
    Must be more to it than just the results

This. Surely there must be more to it than the results.

No really. Southampton are not doing well this season. They're three points over the drop and would look much worse if it weren't for the implosions at Newcastle and Villa (and I'd be highly surprised if either of those went down). The club's position is in reality little different from Nov/Dec when rumours first began circulating about a potential sacking

The expectation is survival and anyone who says that Southampton were out of the woods or unlikely to be relegated is just deluding themselves
    What were you or the board expecting? Top half finish? Southampton were doing great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I, for one, am outraged that there are still question marks in the title of the thread.

Give over.

CSF wrote:
    What were you or the board expecting? Top half finish? Southampton were doing great
    Where on earth are people getting this notion from that "Southampton were doing great"? Have you looked at the table recently?

After spending most of the first half of the season in the bottom three, Southampton now sit three points above the drop zone. Fun fact: of the 22 game weeks of the season, the Saints have been in the bottom four for 19. Currently below them are Villa and Newcastle (both surely in false positions) and Wigan (who tend to linger there until pulling off an escape in the last weeks of the season). If this is "doing great" then we should expect very little from managers

People say that "there must be more to it than the results" but the results were P22 W5 D7 L10. This 'run' that they were apparently on was LDDDWD. Now none of this is shockingly bad but let's not pretend that Adkins or his club were having a great season or had secured survival. We've all seen managers sacked for a lot less

• Advertisement

Where on earth are people getting this notion from that "Southampton were doing great"? Have you looked at the table recently?

After spending most of the first half of the season in the bottom three, Southampton now sit three points above the drop zone. Fun fact: of the 22 game weeks of the season, the Saints have been in the bottom four for 19. Currently below them are Villa and Newcastle (both surely in false positions) and Wigan (who tend to linger there until pulling off an escape in the last weeks of the season). If this is "doing great" then we should expect very little from managers

People say that "there must be more to it than the results" but the results were P22 W5 D7 L10. This 'run' that they were apparently on was LDDDWD. Now none of this is shockingly bad but let's not pretend that Adkins or his club were having a great season or had secured survival. We've all seen managers sacked for a lot less

"Southampton conceded 28 in the opening 10 matches but Adkins recognised and addressed the problem. In the next 12 fixtures Southampton conceded only a goal a game and picked up 18 points."

"extended their impressive run to only two defeats in 12 matches, by coming back from two goals down at Stamford Bridge to draw 2-2 with Chelsea."

"He picked Southampton up off the floor in League One, winning back-to-back promotions to secure the club's return to the Premier League for the first time in seven years."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Southampton spent a lot in the summer, not many managers can spend 11 million on a player and 6 million on an average Championship striker. He obviously didn't deserve to be sacked but its not that big of a deal based on this season. Fair enough he did well to get them successive promotions.

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Southampton spent a lot in the summer, not many managers can spend 11 million on a player and 6 million on an average Championship striker. He obviously didn't deserve to be sacked but its not that big of a deal based on this season. Fair enough he did well to get them successive promotions.

Nathaniel Clyne (Crystal Palace) £2.5m
    Steven Davis (Rangers) £800,000
    Paulo Gazzaniga (Gillingham) £2m
    Jay Rodriguez (Burnley) £7m
    Emmanuel Mayuka (BSC Young Boys) £3.5m
    Gaston Ramirez (Bologna) Undisclosed
    Cody Cropper (Unattached) Free

Chelsea
    Eden Hazard (Lille, £32m)
    Oscar (Internacional, £25m)
    Marko Marin (W Bremen, £7m)
    Victor Moses (Wigan, £9m)
    Cezar Azpilicueta (Marseille, £7m)
    George Brady (Cannes, £250,000)
    Thorgan Hazard (Lens, Undisclosed)

Do you think Roberto's sacking was that big of a deal either?

EdenHazard wrote: »

It is a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

Every week now, this game gets worse to care about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Adkins departing message:

BA68qYyCUAAX-6m.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Ridiculous decision.

The way the game is going it would nearly be worth putting money on Fergie getting the sack next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Paully D wrote: »
    Adkins departing message:

BA68qYyCUAAX-6m.jpg

I'm happy he got sacked after that smiley face hahah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Joke of a decision considering what the man did for the club.

I do have to wonder though how many of the people criticising Southampton were themselves wanting Trap to get the sack despite two play-off finishes and a first tournament finals in ten years. I'm sure that was completely different though and not at all comical or ridiculous.

To me this is indicative of the modern mindset in football. People who don't give a toss about yesterday and think paradise is within sight if only someone else was in the driving seat. Yesterday doesn't matter. Only tomorrow matters. They make the move and they wind up in ruins.

• Advertisement

Joke of a decision considering what the man did for the club.

I do have to wonder though how many of the people criticising Southampton were themselves wanting Trap to get the sack despite two play-off finishes and a first tournament finals in ten years. I'm sure that was completely different though and not at all comical or ridiculous.

To me this is indicative of the modern mindset in football. People who don't give a toss about yesterday and think paradise is within sight if only someone else was in the driving seat. Yesterday doesn't matter. Only tomorrow matters. They make the move and they wind up in ruins.
    They are completely different. Maybe if Trap had achieved that with Belarus or something, they might be the same, but even then not really.

Advertisement