Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adkins Sacked

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

CSF wrote: »
    They are completely different. Maybe if Trap had achieved that with Belarus or something, they might be the same, but even then not really.

We are Southampton in international football terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

EdenHazard wrote: »
    I'm happy he got sacked after that smiley face hahah

Classic EdenHazard! What will he say next!

I think it's a Newcastle/Hughton situation, i.e. wasn't so much as wanting to sack Adkins as it was wanting to hire the new guy - for whatever reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,564 ✭✭✭✭CSF

But the achievements are completely different. Getting to an international playoff as 3rd seed is done ridiculously regularly. 2 consecutive promotions to the Premiership and then holding your own is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

The late great Brian clough had a chapter in his autobiography entitled What Football Directors Know about football. That chapter consisted of a blank page. That sort of sums it up really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There has to be more to this than what we know. There has to be something way bigger than form and results. I don't think anybody would be stupid enough to sack him with the way that team have been playing recently.

I'm sure it will come out eventually as to why he was sacked.

Well of course on second thought the owners might just be as bad as Venkys even though I don't think thats possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

We were third seeds in our group. Finishing second and beating Estonia in the play offs was not a huge achievement. It was fairly standard stuff.

It's ridiculous to even begin to compare it to Adkins' achievements with Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Blatter wrote: »
    We were third seeds in our group. Finishing second and beating Estonia in the play offs is not a huge achievement.

It's ridiculous to even begin to compare it to Adkins' achievements with Southampton.
    Correct, Ireland getting to the Euros is a far greater achievement than what Southampton have done under Adkins.

CSF wrote: »
    But the achievements are completely different. Getting to an international playoff as 3rd seed is done ridiculously regularly. 2 consecutive promotions to the Premiership and then holding your own is not.

It has not been done regularly by the Irish team. A tournament drought of ten years - at certain times where we were not even competitive - was ended and and we could have done so two years earlier if not for you know what. Scotland have been third seeds on a regular basis and haven't fared too well either.

The way I see it, the confused reaction by everywhere outside Southampton to this decision is how the wider football community would have greeted Trap's sacking had it been done. That's why I find a lot of the outrage on here to be quite amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

It has not been done regularly by the Irish team. A tournament drought of ten years - at certain times where we were not even competitive - was ended and and we could have done so two years earlier if not for you know what. Scotland have been third seeds on a regular basis and haven't fared too well either.

The way I see it, the confused reaction by everywhere outside Southampton to this decision is how the wider football community would have greeted Trap's sacking had it been done. That's why I find a lot of the outrage on here to be quite amusing.

You pick ridiculous sample sizes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

eagle eye wrote: »
    Correct, Ireland getting to the Euros is a far greater achievement than what Southampton have done under Adkins.

Really really isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Really really isn't.

Sarcasm detector malfunction?

Pro. F wrote: »
    You pick ridiculous sample sizes.

I don't think there's a better sample to use than that of Scotland in terms of players, population size and fan expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

http://georgeweahscousin.com/2013/01/18/mauricio-pochettino-the-man-with-a-plan/

I'll give the new guy the benefit of the doubt and give him a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Duzzie wrote: »
    http://georgeweahscousin.com/2013/01/18/mauricio-pochettino-the-man-with-a-plan/

I'll give the new guy the benefit of the doubt and give him a chance

Very good article, still think the sacking was a disgrace

Very good article, still think the sacking was a disgrace
    I dont like that Adkins was sacked, he did well to take Saints to where they are but I do think that he had done what he was employed to do and probably took the club as far as he could. Cortese saved the club by persuading Markus Liebherr to buy it when we were days from going under forever. He may have made some strange decisions but he always seems to have done what he felt was best for the club, and mostly those decisions have been vindicated. Yes it is sad to see Nigel go but I am first and foremost a Southampton fan, and to date Cortese has steered the club in the right direction. I'm afraid the football business is not a pleasant one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I dont like that Adkins was sacked, he did well to take Saints to where they are but I do think that he had done what he was employed to do and probably took the club as far as he could. Cortese saved the club by persuading Markus Liebherr to buy it when we were days from going under forever. He may have made some strange decisions but he always seems to have done what he felt was best for the club, and mostly those decisions have been vindicated. Yes it is sad to see Nigel go but I am first and foremost a Southampton fan, and to date Cortese has steered the club in the right direction. I'm afraid the football business is not a pleasant one.

Not a Southamption fan myself, can see where you're coming from. Still think Adkins has been treated very unfairly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

How can anybody come to this conclusion when he hasn't had the chance to take the club any further?

Blatter wrote: »
    How can anybody come to this conclusion when he hasn't had the chance to take the club any further?

It is what I think, no more, no less. I have no more basis for this conclusion than someone saying he could have taken the club further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

It is what I think, no more, no less. I have no more basis for this conclusion than someone saying he could have taken the club further.

What makes you think it?

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    What makes you think it?

It's just what I feel based on the season so far, but what I think is irrelevant. I am not the running the club, Cortese is, and so far his decisions have been right. I am therefore prepared to give the new manager a fair run at it. As I said, football is not a pretty business these days and there is little room for sentiment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

What a Classy gesture by Nigel , this was a message he left for the players

adkins%20message.jpg

It's just what I feel based on the season so far, but what I think is irrelevant. I am not the running the club, Cortese is, and so far his decisions have been right. I am therefore prepared to give the new manager a fair run at it. As I said, football is not a pretty business these days and there is little room for sentiment.

He has obviously rubbed Le Tiss up the wrong way in some fashion, he seems to hold a serious grudge against him. I don't think the amount of money spent between last season and this season was appropriate given the risk that we still might be relegated. But I guess that if we do stay up it'll be considered good management etc... etc...

I wasn't happy with the way the team was playing earlier in the season (far too many leads blown), but they had really turned a corner lately and were looking to be on the way up. To undo that good work and appoint somebody with no English is incredible, and was always going to upset the fans hugely given how popular Adkins is.

I'm just embarrassed to be in any way associated with the team after the way Adkins was treated today, truly appalling.

He has obviously rubbed Le Tiss up the wrong way in some fashion, he seems to hold a serious grudge against him. I don't think the amount of money spent between last season and this season was appropriate given the risk that we still might be relegated. But I guess that if we do stay up it'll be considered good management etc... etc...

I wasn't happy with the way the team was playing earlier in the season (far too many leads blown), but they had really turned a corner lately and were looking to be on the way up. To undo that good work and appoint somebody with no English is incredible, and was always going to upset the fans hugely given how popular Adkins is.

I'm just embarrassed to be in any way associated with the team after the way Adkins was treated today, truly appalling.
    I'm afraid no-one but Adkins or Cortese could tell us truthfully how he was treated, we simply don't know, anything out there at the moment is pure speculation and newspaper talk. Until either of them give an interview and spill the beans, it will remain just that.
    I do think think that Adkins is a very good manager and will do very well in his career, I am also very sad to see him go. He is leaving with his reputation in tact, which may have been somewhat tarnished had he stayed and taken us down, not that i'm saying that would have happened. Maybe he's too much of a nice guy in a nasty business. There is nothing to be embarrassed about, us fans are mere pawns in the bigger scheme of things

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

He found out he was sacked while watching it on tv!!!!!

Melion wrote: »
    He found out he was sacked while watching it on tv!!!!!

Says who?? The papers?? It's not like them to let facts get in the way of a juicy story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

With the timing of the sacking there's a good chance there was a disagreement over the transfer window targets or lack of.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    With the timing of the sacking there's a good chance there was a disagreement over the transfer window targets or lack of.

Actually the timing of this is my only worry as a Villa fan. It could destabilize to a big degree but on the flipside they are also making this change early enough that the new man might be able to get a few signings in and he may be able to bring in players that Adkins wouldnt have from abroad who could make a big impact on any relegation battle. Otherwise I'd think it's a mad move at a time when Southampton are doing well under a manager the players and fans would have been united behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Ardent

The sacking is the stuff of lunatics, and the timing is just horrible. Just looking at their fixtures there and I reckon they will be firmly in the relegation zone by end of Feb.

They face Everton, the two Manchester clubs and Newcastle. All tough games at the best of times. The only imminently winnable game is Wigan - but no gurarantees there either as we don't know if Pochettino will cut it in the Premiership.

Insanity!

Ardent wrote: »
    The sacking is the stuff of lunatics, and the timing is just horrible. Just looking at their fixtures there and I reckon they will be firmly in the relegation zone by end of Feb.

They face Everton, the two Manchester clubs and Newcastle. All tough games at the best of times. The only imminently winnable game is Wigan - but no gurarantees there either as we don't know if Pochettino will cut it in the Premiership.

Insanity!

Wigan beat Southampton as St. Marys, so would be surprised to see that go any way other than a home win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,950 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Have to love Jeff's comment on SS though - short montage of Nigel. cut to studio "Couldn't quite see Nigel's back or the knife that went into it" :D

Disgraceful decision. I wonder will the real reason come out?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I don't think there's a better sample to use than that of Scotland in terms of players, population size and fan expectations.

That is still a ridiculously small sample size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Solid start. Hope he does well and stays up after watching the usually ****e sky sports lads spewed on saturday. Charlie Nicolas was the only one speaking sense.

Solid start. Hope he does well and stays up after watching the usually ****e sky sports lads spewed on saturday. Charlie Nicolas was the only one speaking sense.

Was Le Tissier on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Was Le Tissier on it?

Yup.

He wanted him to do well, but said he wasn't surprised about what happened, and how he was clearly topped up, from the new lad saying he was studying the Soton squad for a few weeks.

Merse then was saying how he hoped they went down and Le Tiss was arguing with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Was Le Tissier on it?

Yea. Usually Sky sports crap - bad enough sacking Adkins but replacing him with a flithly foreigner and not a British manager was the ultimate thing Southampton did wrong. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Yup.

He wanted him to do well, but said he wasn't surprised about what happened, and how he was clearly topped up, from the new lad saying he was studying the Soton squad for a few weeks.

Merse then was saying how he hoped they went down and Le Tiss was arguing with him.

As much as everyone wants to get violins out for how poor Adkins was stabbed in the back, I think I'd rather any incoming manager was given prior notice to assess the squad and have a look at the team he's set to manage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Gbear wrote: »
    As much as everyone wants to get violins out for how poor Adkins was stabbed in the back, I think I'd rather any incoming manager was given prior notice to assess the squad and have a look at the team he's set to manage.

Quit this nonsense please. It was a joke of a decision!

monkey9 wrote: »
    Quit this nonsense please. It was a joke of a decision!

I don't disagree.

I'm talking specifically about going behind the back of Adkins.
    If they'd decided to change manager, it's better that they did it in the right way - giving the incoming manager plenty of notice and time to plan, even if it meant having to stab Adkins in the back.

It might be worse for Adkins but doing it that way is better for the club, even if the overall decision is stupid.

If you compare it to Venky's at Blackburn, they sacked Allardyce and had no replacement lined up. Even if it's not the correct decision, and it's not and won't have been even if Pochettino does great, at least they're doing the whole process with an iota of sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sacked by Reading this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Paully D wrote: »

Interesting looking back on this one. The owners made a good call - worked out differently than many of us expected at the very least.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Interesting looking back on this one. The owners made a good call - worked out differently than many of us expected at the very least.

Even with Liebherr dying it seems like they've a clear idea of what they're trying to do.

Not something you could say about a lot of these clubs that have sprung up under foreign investment over the past 15 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Paully D wrote: »

Nice opening for Rodgers to return !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Even with Liebherr dying it seems like they've a clear idea of what they're trying to do.

Not something you could say about a lot of these clubs that have sprung up under foreign investment over the past 15 years.

Southampton did not 'spring up' from anywhere.

Prior to their relegation in the mid 2000s they were 30 odd consecutive years in the top flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Southampton did not 'spring up' from anywhere.

Prior to their relegation in the mid 2000s they were 30 odd consecutive years in the top flight.

When were they bought, how long were they out of the PL for beforehand and how have they been since, FI has helped along with a sane overall plan/

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bloody hell, I'm glad I didn't post in this thread originally :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

When were they bought, how long were they out of the PL for beforehand and how have they been since, FI has helped along with a sane overall plan/

They were 27 years in the top flight and out of it for 7.
    Now they are back 3
    The current owners have been around 6 seasons.

My point is that they have not "sprung up", the way the likes of Wigan and Hull, and to lesser extent Fullham or Swansea have.

They have been a top division regular for most of the last 40 years.

They were 27 years in the top flight and out of it for 7.
    Now they are back 3
    The current owners have been around 6 seasons.

My point is that they have not "sprung up", the way the likes of Wigan and Hull, and to lesser extent Fullham or Swansea have.

They have been a top division regular for most of the last 40 years.

Being relegated for 7 years, including to League 1 and nearly going bankrupt requires some springing up after.

I'm happy for them. You see these things going wrong so often. Southampton and Liebherr have seemed like a good fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Being relegated for 7 years, including to League 1 and nearly going bankrupt requires some springing up after.

I'm happy for them. You see these things going wrong so often. Southampton and Liebherr have seemed like a good fit.

Southampton a poor rich mans Man City

Advertisement