Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog outside in this weather, advice?

• 18-01-2013 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16

A neighbours's dog (6 month-ish collie) has been whimpering and crying in their back garden all morning. I can't see the dog, only hear it so don't know if it has shelter. It's currently raining, stormy and about 5 degs. I know the dog is obviously miserable but will it be ok? thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If it has shelter in a kennel or shed it will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 Mrs. Delany

Yeah, I'm hoping it has shelter.

Some dogs you could build a massive kennel for, with insulation and central heating, and a fecking jaccuzzi, and they'd still sit on the back step whinging.

Try to see if he has a kennel. If yes, there's really nothing that can be done bar asking his owners to train him to use it. If there's no shelter then it's a matter for the SPCA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

Gardai will also come out in many counties if cruelty is suspected. The weather is harsh- can you contact your neighbour fast? It's really bad out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

The dog doesn't want a fancy kennel or shed or toys or anything other than to be in the company of the people in the house.

I'll never understand people who get dogs and leave them out the back garden all day and night. What's the point?
    Its most likely whimpering because it feels alone and abandoned, its unlikely due to the weather.

Dogs are social pack animals. They belong with the pack. If the family was to sit out the back with the dog, he would sit with them and stop whimpering.

This drives me mad...especially during the winter weather.

• Advertisement

It's not always possible to have the dog in the house 24/7. It's possible that the house is empty and there is no-one there to supervise the dog. My own dogs are left in the garden while I'm at work, as are many other peoples. If they have suitable shelter there is nothing wrong with it.

I didn't mean to go off on a bit rant, we just have a lot of neighbours whose dogs are left out day and night and we've to listen to them cry all night. I find it very cruel.

I leave mine out the back during the day too, if they choose. Days like today, after their walk before work, I opened the back door and neither were bothered going out so I leave them in doors. They don't wreck the place and are toilet trained.

I think the dog described by the OP would have been more content being left alone inside rather than out in the garden...especially at 6 months when he's probably terrified.

Discostuy wrote: »
    I think the dog described by the OP would have been more content being left alone inside rather than out in the garden...especially at 6 months when he's probably terrified.

Except that we don't know what the dog is like indoors. Yours would be fine. Mine would be fine. This dog may rip the house to shreds and bark constantly. Without knowing the people, the dog, or the situation we can only trust that these people are doing what is best for them and their dog. The most that can be said is that the dog should have access to sufficient shelter, but no-one can force him to go into it if he doesn't want to.

Fair enough, I agree its hard to make a call not knowing the circumstances.

Maybe indoor crate training could be an option. If they plan to have the dog 8-10 years, it would be great if they could have the option to keep him indoors sometimes when the house is empty or the weather is crap.

Perhaps that would be the answer.

If they're on good terms with their neighbours maybe the OP would consider calling in and mentioning about the dog sitting on the step all day. The owners may be under the impression that he's curled up in his kennel. If the OP is home during the day they could even offer to come and let the dog out of the house around lunchtime, if the owners were happy to leave him inside during the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

For those of you to put your dog outside for part of the day it's an incredibly cruel act. If a dog spends most of its time indoors, the dog deems that place it's den. Seperate a dog from its den and those that are part of it and you have one very unhappy puppy.

If the dog's den is outdoors and spends most of it's life outside from an early age and has appropriate shelter, then there's another issue at work.

I will repeat - if you seperate dogs from their den, it is one of the cruelist things you can do to it.

My dogs have a den in the garden, it's called their kennel and they're very fond of it. It is not possible to leave a dog indoors all day as expecting them to hold their bladder for 9-10 hours is incredibly cruel, and not everyone can afford ~€50 a week to pay for a dog walker.

If the garden is secure, sufficient shelter is supplied, and the dog is not a light coated breed like a greyhound, there is nothing remotely cruel about the dog being outside while its owners are at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

For those of you to put your dog outside for part of the day it's an incredibly cruel act. If a dog spends most of its time indoors, the dog deems that place it's den. Seperate a dog from its den and those that are part of it and you have one very unhappy puppy.

If the dog's den is outdoors and spends most of it's life outside from an early age and has appropriate shelter, then there's another issue at work.

I will repeat - if you seperate dogs from their den, it is one of the cruelist things you can do to it.

Domesticated dogs aren't wolves. And they don't live in dens anymore, they are no longer wild animals thanks to humans. The cruelest thing you can do is keep your dog separate from his family of human companions so if you insist on using wolf examples, the cruelest thing you can do to a dog is separate it from it's 'pack'.

It's a rotten day out and my dogs are tucked up inside. But everytime I head outside to one of the outbuildings they potter out with me. The weather is bad but it doesn't matter to them once they're with their family.

I'd agree with the above, domestic dogs aren't wolves.
    While most dogs like their bed and home, I don't think they see it as a den as such.
    And time away from a den isn't cruel, even wolf cubs have to leave the den to learn their trade.

Being with the family is the most important aspect to a dogs well being.
    Dogs left alone in a back yard only seeing people when it's fed or walked will create a very mentally unbalanced dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leanonme

Discostuy wrote: »
    I'd agree with the above, domestic dogs aren't wolves.
    While most dogs like their bed and home, I don't think they see it as a den as such.
    And time away from a den isn't cruel, even wolf cubs have to leave the den to learn their trade.

Being with the family is the most important aspect to a dogs well being.
    Dogs left alone in a back yard only seeing people when it's fed or walked will create a very mentally unbalanced dog.

I dont believe having a dog living out side is bad for a dog. Why do you believe it is bad for a dog. My family have five dogs who all live out doors, and love the out door, one of them will never come into the house, the others come in for about 5 minutes and then they want to go out side again. They love spending the day out side, we live on a farm so most of our family spend most of the day out doors with the dogs and thats they way we like it and they like it.

You cant say that a dog living out side is bad for it, you dont know what the dog likes and is used to.

leanonme wrote: »

I dont believe having a dog living out side is bad for a dog. Why do you believe it is bad for a dog. My family have five dogs who all live out doors, and love the out door, one of them will never come into the house, the others come in for about 5 minutes and then they want to go out side again. They love spending the day out side, we live on a farm so most of our family spend most of the day out doors with the dogs and thats they way we like it and they like it.

You cant say that a dog living out side is bad for it, you dont know what the dog likes and is used to.

I'm probably not getting my point across properly here at all.

I'm not saying dogs shouldn't live outdoors.
    Dogs like yours sound well looked after, good company with each other, adequate shelter and plenty of human interaction.

My initial compliant is against people who get a dog and dump it out the back yard where it's no attention or human interaction.

Again I've nothing against dogs living outdoors, once they've proper shelter and human contact. We've dogs in our estate who are left out the back alone 24/7 with crap shelter and rarely ever get a look in...this is why they sit at the back door whining.

It's that mentality that annoys me, I don't understand why people get a dog in those circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

leanonme wrote: »
    They love spending the day out side, we live on a farm so most of our family spend most of the day out doors with the dogs and thats they way we like it and they like it.

This is the important part, you live on a farm and the dogs have human company for the day and other dogs for company and to curl up with (if they want) at night. There is a big difference between what you describe and a family getting a dog, leaving it out the back and maybe seeing it for an hour every day on its walk.

We have a lab who lives next door. She gets out for 20 mins a day, off lead, while her owner shouts at her and curses at her for not coming back when called. It's horrible. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 47 elen88

My neighbours recently got a labrador. Typical story he was treated well when he was a pup, had a kennel for him when left outside and saw him being walked ocassionally. Now he has grown large and the past week (maybe longer) the poor thing has been out all the time, the kennel is gone, last night I was heartbroken listening to him wiping and barking all night out in the rain with no shelter probably freezing cold. I'm really upset about this and thinking of reporting them. The issue is I feel very awkward doing it. I really don't understand why they are keeping him if they don't want him anymore. I would love to be able to talk to them about it but it is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

elen88 wrote: »
    My neighbours recently got a labrador. Typical story he was treated well when he was a pup, had a kennel for him when left outside and saw him being walked ocassionally. Now he has grown large and the past week (maybe longer) the poor thing has been out all the time, the kennel is gone, last night I was heartbroken listening to him wiping and barking all night out in the rain with no shelter probably freezing cold. I'm really upset about this and thinking of reporting them. The issue is I feel very awkward doing it. I really don't understand why they are keeping him if they don't want him anymore. I would love to be able to talk to them about it but it is not an option.

That's dreadful. You should report them to the local SPCA. They won't be told that it was you who did it, and if there are other people who live nearby too your neighbours won't find it that easy to work out who informed. If you think that dog is being neglected you have a duty to try to help it. Please do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Thats shocking. You need to report them -- I know its difficult but you can do it anonymously. Lack of shelter is a definite offence so please report this.

• Advertisement

I reported the issue. Hope everything goes well for the poor dog and the spca take action soon. Thanks for all the replies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Oh well done elen88!!!!! Really well done to you. There are a lot of people stand by and let animals suffer rather than report it as "they dont want to get involved" (in my opinion that makes them part of the neglect/abuse) So I think youre great for what youve done to try and help this poor dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

maggiepip wrote: »
    Oh well done elen88!!!!! Really well done to you. There are a lot of people stand by and let animals suffer rather than report it as "they dont want to get involved" (in my opinion that makes them part of the neglect/abuse) So I think youre great for what youve done to try and help this poor dog.

Absolutely, can't bear it that poor dog whining and crying outside in the rain, how could they sit in their house and not do anything?!

Some people have no heart... all throught this crappy rainy weather day and night he is outside, it was making me sick not being able to help him. Thanks for all the support as it was a difficult decision to make and all your advice really helped. Especially as I wasn't sure if it was grounds for the spca to take action.

I logged on and was so relieved to learn that you had done it! Hopefully it will be sorted out now. I admire you for taking the initiative, and really hope it bears results.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭meow

A 6mth old dog is a baby, its probably crying to attention and comfort!
    Leaving a dog out for a few hrs in the garden while you go to work is one thing but leaving it in the garden day and night with/without shelter is quite another. Dogs are pack animals, social creatures and NEED to be around people.

I'd establish if it has shelter. Then I'd subtly 'educate' the neighbour about how lovely it is to have a dog in the house, great compnay, great for children, lovely for the dog, makes the animal friendly etc. Make a fuss of the dog next time you see them out walking it (I hope they walk it if its in a back garden all day!) and introduce the subject that way. Sometimes people just don't realise what they're doing wrong and need a gentle nudge, sometimes people just don't care- then pick up the phone and alert someone.

And on a side note, the incidence of dog thieft is hugely on the rise and homes are now being watched and targeted for dogs- all breeds and crossbreeds for a variety of reasons. I work with a resuce, we get people ringing us all the time in tears after their dog has been stolen from their garden. If you're going to leave your dog in the garden, PLEASE MICROCHIP, its the only way of getting your dog back should it turn up somewhere. And get someone to check in the dog during the day, even if its just the neighbour looking over the wall to make sure its still there. Dog thieft is big money, don't take the risk XXx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

elen88 wrote: »
    Some people have no heart... all throught this crappy rainy weather day and night he is outside, it was making me sick not being able to help him. Thanks for all the support as it was a difficult decision to make and all your advice really helped. Especially as I wasn't sure if it was grounds for the spca to take action.

It's people with hearts as kind as yours that make this world a better place.
    Thank you for trying to help this poor fur baby. Fingers crossed, something can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I get really angry with people who get dogs as pets and then neglect them. I have neighbours with 2 dogs. They've had them since last year and I have never seen them walked, thats not to say that they aren't though. The dogs are left in the garden, never let indoors and I can't recall ever hearing them interact with the dogs other than to shut them into a shed when they cry to much.

It is awful to hear dogs cry all the time. I take my bins out and talk to them for a minute and they stop barking and just whimper miserably. Legally providing the dogs with food and shelter is enough, morally it is p*ss poor in my humble opinion.

Any update on the dog elen88? I can't believe they would leave it outside in the cold weather that we're having now. Surely not? Although anything is possible with some people.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Kloecor

I have 2 dogs.

One of them whinges whenever he's outside for NO reason! No matter what we do he whines and barks and howls.

My other dog goes in to his kennel happily. He barks and whines once every blue moon.

It totally just depends on the dog really. My dogs have a big insulated kennel with pillows and straw and toys etc. and still one of them ALWAYS whinges! And the other looks happy out!

But I would try find out if he has shelter as obviously in this weather you'd HAVE to have shelter and straw for them if they are outdoors!

Advertisement