Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest Place to get Office 2010

Options
  • 18-01-2013 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Been doing my research and the cheapest I could come up with was Amazon which comes in around €110 or software4students for €120.

I'm looking for the Home and Student 2010 3 PC licence. If anyone can lend a hand I'd be very grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

use google documents, it's free.

or €4.90 per month for microsoft's office365 which is word and excel online. it has a 90 day free trial so you could keep making accounts and using the free trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

reunion wrote: »
    use google documents, it's free.

or €4.90 per month for microsoft's office365 which is word and excel online. it has a 90 day free trial so you could keep making accounts and using the free trial.

Not the biggest fan of Google docs, as I won't always have access to the net when I need to do work, making it useless in those situations.

I would also need the use of PowerPoint and OneNote would be handy as well.

365 is a subscription service which I'm not willing to use. After roughly 2 years (I will have 2010 for longer than that ideally) It would have been the same price to get office 2010 from S4S.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

try here but i think you need to be in college to order.

http://campus.ie/discount/msoffice-for-only-%E2%82%AC99

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

Torrent it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Maybe look into the University edition?

I believe I saw that knocking around for €99 the last time I looked? Think it's the same as the home and student except you register with your UL email address when buying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭N1one

What about an alternative?

http://www.libreoffice.org/download

eoins23456 wrote: »
    Torrent it

Looking for a legit copy. Not interested in getting an illegal copy.
    wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Maybe look into the University edition?

I believe I saw that knocking around for €99 the last time I looked? Think it's the same as the home and student except you register with your UL email address when buying.

University edition seems great, but its for 1 PC only, and the 3 added programs would be of no use to me at all. So for the cost the 3PC Home and student would be better value, as I could potentially get others to go in on it with me, or else I could install it on new PCs or family PCs and split the cost.
    N1one wrote: »
    What about an alternative?

http://www.libreoffice.org/download

I've tried Libre Office and OpenOffice and I've had some terrible compatibility issues and formatting problems so I'm looking for MS Office now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Doubt it'll be the cheapest but I picked mine up from Currys before Christmas while getting my new laptop in a bundle for €150.

With this you got 1 Year Subscription to Livedrive 500GBish I think,
    1 Year Norton X 3 uses and
    Microsoft Office 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Doubt it'll be the cheapest but I picked mine up from Currys before Christmas while getting my new laptop in a bundle for €150.

With this you got 1 Year Subscription to Livedrive 500GBish I think,
    1 Year Norton X 3 uses and
    Microsoft Office 2010

Not looking for a new Laptop at this point anyway, and I wouldn't touch Norton with a barge pole, so not much use, thanks though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Jaggy

Used Open Office for four years of college and never had a compatibility problem. You can save the file as a MS Office file if you need to. You can then open it in Microsoft office on a different computer if needs be.

If the issue still arises you can always save it as a PDF so it'll open properly across all computers.

Jaggy wrote: »
    Used Open Office for four years of college and never had a compatibility problem. You can save the file as a MS Office file if you need to. You can then open it in Microsoft office on a different computer if needs be.

If the issue still arises you can always save it as a PDF so it'll open properly across all computers.

Been using it for 2+ years and I always get compatibility issues. I have saved as MS Office files and it constantly screws up the formatting when I try to open it on college computers, and saving as a PDF is no use when I either have to edit on others computers or am required to submit it as a .doc/.docx file.

So I'm not interested in alternatives, I'm just looking for advice on the cheapest place to buy a legit copy.

http://www.currys.ie/Product/MICROSOFT-Office-Home-and-Student-2010/298301/7.13

Currys €120 MO 2010 1 key
    Ask them nicely and they'll install it too,
    Did for me :)
    Doubt there's much to it though.. :P

http://www.currys.ie/Product/MICROSOFT-Office-Home-and-Student-2010/298301/7.13

Currys €120 MO 2010 1 key
    Ask them nicely and they'll install it too,
    Did for me :)
    Doubt there's much to it though.. :P

€120 for 1 PC, or €120 for 3 PCs, I think I'd go the 3PC route.

120 for 1, 140 for 3

120 for 1, 140 for 3

As I said in my first post I can get a 3PC license for as low as €110 or €120, I was looking for anyone that had any cheaper offers than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

best bet is keep an eye out on software4students, got my office '10 pro , 2 licenses for 60 euros last year....

other then that, youll have to bite the bullet and fork out, libreoffice is perfectly fine these days if you use it right, I have no issues opening/saving any M$ format files on any of my unix machines,, despite your problems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

http://software4students.ie/products/microsoft-office-university-2010

€100 and has 2 PC licenses. I got the Pro Plus version a few years ago and installed it on loads of PCs, but it only came with a 3 PC license. It'll still work.

http://software4students.ie/products/microsoft-office-university-2010

€100 and has 2 PC licenses. I got the Pro Plus version a few years ago and installed it on loads of PCs, but it only came with a 3 PC license. It'll still work.

When you say loads, do you mean all at once? And how many roughly? Just interested, I know someone that has used a PKC with a 1 PC licence on 5-7 PCs already (depending if 2 factory restored PCs count as 2 new installations) and if I could piggy back on that it'd be handy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

There are some books in the library which have a cd/dvd copy of word/excel and an activation key with them (there was last year anyway).

The books are like how to use excel or something (something like this). Typically the 3 hour short loan area have the cd/dvd in the book. The non-3 hour loan books don't have the cd/dvd with them (but the cd/dvd should be available if you ask reception).

You could do some research into these books and could install excel and word 2010 from one of those books.

From a quick library search, Powerpoint will probably be the 2003 version and you will probably have to use openoffice or something similar for onenote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

BroLo wrote: »
    When you say loads, do you mean all at once? And how many roughly? Just interested, I know someone that has used a PKC with a 1 PC licence on 5-7 PCs already (depending if 2 factory restored PCs count as 2 new installations) and if I could piggy back on that it'd be handy out.
    Three desktops and two laptops, and two of those installations were done twice WITH activation a second time, so it technically ends up at 7 installations with the same key.

And not all at once, BTW - over the space of 2 years.

Three desktops and two laptops, and two of those installations were done twice WITH activation a second time, so it technically ends up at 7 installations with the same key.

And not all at once, BTW - over the space of 2 years.

When I say all at once, I mean were they active at the same time, ie more than 2 running at a time, or did yo uninstall and reinstall?

I've been told by software4students that MSO University is non transferable...

Advertisement