Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loan repayments?

Options
  • 18-01-2013 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hi (not sure if this is the right forum)

I currently have 2 loans. One at a student rate and another personal loan, the value of the personal loan its about 4 times my student loan.

I'm now in a position to increase my payments monthly by about €200/€250.

Which is better to do, pay the personal loan or try clear the smaller student loan and when this is clear to just pay towards the personal loan only? The interest rate on my student account is half the personal loan rate. Hope this is enough info.

Thanks folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Simple: put your effort into paying down the loan with the higher interest rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Wexy86

Thanks for the quick reply. Credit rating wise done it make a difference if you have one or 2 loans? Assuming all payments are up to date and in order. Apologies for my lack of knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

In general, you will not have a problem with your credit rating if you have more than one loan so long as you are servicing all of them properly.

No need to apologise for your lack of knowledge: you are dealing with it. Apologise if you came back here in six months' time with the same questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Agree also, pay one with the highest interest first, irregardless of balance outstanding on them.

Advertisement