Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple TV question

• 18-01-2013 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Thinking of getting Apple TV but can u only watch videos from my mac book that are in my iTunes folder ?. I have a lot of movies and tv shows downloaded that are not in my iTunes folder or is there another way to watch them on the tv

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

If you get an apple tv 2, not the current model, you can install xbmc on it which will allow you to play anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

gar1234 wrote: »
    Thinking of getting Apple TV but can u only watch videos from my mac book that are in my iTunes folder ?. I have a lot of movies and tv shows downloaded that are not in my iTunes folder or is there another way to watch them on the tv

If the files are in M4V format and in your iTunes Movies folder, then you can play them on an Apple TV out of the box.

If they are in AVI or DIVX format, you'll have to jailbreak and install XBMC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭stantheman8

If the files are in M4V format and in your iTunes Movies folder, then you can play them on an Apple TV out of the box.

If they are in AVI or DIVX format, you'll have to jailbreak and install XBMC.

Another option if you can't get your hands on an ATV2 is to use a file converter to convert your files into an ATV supported format. Freemake is one that I know of - other boardies may have other recommendations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Or watch the movies on your Mac using MPlayerX and enable AirPlay Mirroring to your Apple TV

Or watch the movies on your Mac using MPlayerX and enable AirPlay Mirroring to your Apple TV

or just buy and android tv box, apple tv is pretty crap anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

kjl wrote: »
    or just buy and android tv box, apple tv is pretty crap anyway

No when its jailbroken its not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭ado100

As above, if they play on your Mac, then they'll play on your TV with AirPlay Mirroring.

Simples!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Get air parrot on your Mac that will display the sound and video to your atv simple no converting nothing else needed

adox wrote: »
    No when its jailbroken its not.

yeah actually it is. No USB port, no 1080p XBMC for android works very well and the android systems can now run Pivos which has a very stable version of XBMC working on it. You can also use alternate remote controls, not be limited to the crappy apple tv control.

There was a time I would have agreed with you, I have 2 Apple TV 2's I have one unopened that I have up for sale on Adverts. With out the ability to play 1080p I can't play 3d movies or anything decent really.

Although the plug in that must not be named runs well on it, especially with the latest frodo build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Hi Kjl,
    What android box are you using. I find my android terrible and xbmc really crap on android, even with an external player. I know android xbmc is still early days but progress seems really slow.
    I reckon you might be one of the lucky ones to have it working but with so many deferent android boxes I think there's more disappointed than happy android box users. You're probably using a more premium box than me but I seen android xbmc as an opportunity to get some family and friend set up really cheaply. I don't think we are at that stage yet though.

I'm using xbmc on a dedicated htpc at the moment and I can't see me going away from that setup at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

3d movies as an advantage over the Apple TV?

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

yeah actually it is. No USB port, no 1080p XBMC for android works very well and the android systems can now run Pivos which has a very stable version of XBMC working on it. You can also use alternate remote controls, not be limited to the crappy apple tv control.

There was a time I would have agreed with you, I have 2 Apple TV 2's I have one unopened that I have up for sale on Adverts. With out the ability to play 1080p I can't play 3d movies or anything decent really.

Although the plug in that must not be named runs well on it, especially with the latest frodo build.

The ATV 3 handles 1080p. You can also use the iOS remote app if you don't like the ATV remote.

Op if you want to convert your videos I recommend handbrake, that's what I use.

jarvis wrote: »
    Hi Kjl,
    What android box are you using. I find my android terrible and xbmc really crap on android, even with an external player. I know android xbmc is still early days but progress seems really slow.
    I reckon you might be one of the lucky ones to have it working but with so many deferent android boxes I think there's more disappointed than happy android box users. You're probably using a more premium box than me but I seen android xbmc as an opportunity to get some family and friend set up really cheaply. I don't think we are at that stage yet though.

I'm using xbmc on a dedicated htpc at the moment and I can't see me going away from that setup at the moment

I am using the Gbox Midnight with a barebones XBMC version of android.

I remember you were looking at some crap box on XBMCHub, if thats the one you got then I am not surprised it's not working for you. You need a min of tegra 3 to run xbmc smoothly. Works fine on s3 too

Tell you what then, why don't you play a 1080p mkv on your apple tv and let me know how it works out for you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Tell you what then, why don't you play a 1080p mkv on your apple tv and let me know how it works out for you.

Aren't 3d movies on ant of them irrelevant unless you've also invested in a 3d TV and glasses?

kceire wrote: »
    Aren't 3d movies on ant of them irrelevant unless you've also invested in a 3d TV and glasses?

Perhaps, but 1080p MKV is a very popular codec which no Apple TV can play without converting it.

Guys, I have no problem with the Apple TV, but lets face it, it's pretty crap unless you can jailbreak it. This is the reason that ATV2 sells on Ebay and Adverts for €80 more than a new ATV3

I am just saying if the OP wants a decent apple tv like box, he should look into android tv boxes as in my opinion they are much better than ATV.

I think the ability to connect usb based storage as well as using smb and upnp compatible with the ability to play any format as well as plug in's

I am sure some people will talk about transcoding apps for ATV. but personally I want to be able to use a stand alone box with out the dependence on a PC / Laptop for it to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

completely agree with you..I had the ATV2 and the jailbreak was good for it..XBMC had just been launched and a bit flaky for it etc and crashed and could only play 720p...
    eventually flogged it off as I used a laptop instead.
    Then got the ATV3..completely useless to me..
    I have a synology NAS with over 4TB of shows and movies with a smart TV and I used the ATV3 only once...flogged that off again.
    I love my ipad/iphone and want to get a mac air etc but for me the ATV is the worst of them all..the android devices beats it hands down.
    I mean look at this one for nearly half the price..the bloody thing is tiny and it's dual core etc..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JUSTOP-Android-Dual-Core-Internet-Watching/dp/B00A8FWITI/ref=pd_cp_ce_0

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Perhaps, but 1080p MKV is a very popular codec which no Apple TV can play without converting it.

No perhaps about it, it is useless without a 3D TV and glasses ;)

MKV is the most popular at the moment I agree but I download in mp4 format all the time, maybe I'm just institutionalised by apple as that's what I've been doing for years :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

MKV is the most popular at the moment I agree but I download in mp4 format all the time, maybe I'm just institutionalised by apple as that's what I've been doing for years :D

MKV files can be played on my MacBook with a free app (MPlayerX) & just airplay them to my Apple TV no problem.

• Advertisement

You do realise that MKV is just a codec, it has nothing to do with 3d at all except that 3d sbs movies tend to be in mkv format. MP4 it on the rise I will admit, but not for 1080p

MKV files can be played on my MacBook with a free app (MPlayerX) & just airplay them to my Apple TV no problem.

So as I have said before you can't have a stand alone player, you need your €2000 macbook to play 1080p. So yes it is a problem.

Guys I know what I am talking about so stop trying to defend the ATV, while it may have been ok when it was release it's still a closed system with no developer API. So maybe you guys can get off your apple fanboy high horses already.

It's not just the ATV that is becoming obsolete , sales of the iPhone 5 have almost completely slowed down because Android OS and devices are now proving to be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

It's not just the ATV that is becoming obsolete , sales of the iPhone 5 have almost completely slowed down because Android OS and devices are now proving to be better.

now that's complete rubbish..every year it's the same old headlines..Apple are cutting demand for screens etc..
    It's called the winding down process towards the new release of a new one..this happens every year without fail for the iphone/ipad and yet the android fanboys herald the end of the Apple :P
    I wouldn't claim the Android OS is better...that' a matter of opinion.
    If you look at Google they are moving more and more towards a closed system..hell Android isn't even open source any more..a fact the android fans conveniently forget.

Blazer wrote: »
    now that's complete rubbish..every year it's the same old headlines..Apple are cutting demand for screens etc..
    It's called the winding down process towards the new release of a new one..this happens every year without fail for the iphone/ipad and yet the android fanboys herald the end of the Apple :P
    I wouldn't claim the Android OS is better...that' a matter of opinion.
    If you look at Google they are moving more and more towards a closed system..hell Android isn't even open source any more..a fact the android fans conveniently forget.

Actually all android devices can be rooted, hence not a closed system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

So as I have said before you can't have a stand alone player, you need your €2000 macbook to play 1080p. So yes it is a problem.

Guys I know what I am talking about so stop trying to defend the ATV, while it may have been ok when it was release it's still a closed system with no developer API. So maybe you guys can get off your apple fanboy high horses already.

My point was highlighting the simplicity of playing an MKV file through ATV through another Apple device. I am not banging on about it being a closed device blah blah.

Of course it's not perfect but for €109 it's a simple little gadget that I'd imagine most homes that have hit use it & are not worried that you can't plug a USB or add in third party apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Never realised you were so anti apple Coady. I can understand you might have different preferences but you're just slating the whole company. Everything you said before your 'fan boy' remarks, sounded considered and believable. But you just sound annoyed now.

That box I got was the Dyno and it's fairly **** alright. Makes it worse that I've four of them lying around now!!!

My point was highlighting the simplicity of playing an MKV file through ATV through another Apple device. I am not banging on about it being a closed device blah blah.

Of course it's not perfect but for €109 it's a simple little gadget that I'd imagine most homes that have hit use it & are not worried that you can't plug a USB or add in third party apps.

You know the gbox midnight is only €120, it has netflix, xbmc, skyplayer. 4 usb ports, AV and RGB out. Doesn't require any transcoding and plays 1080p flawlessly.

jarvis wrote: »
    Never realised you were so anti apple Coady. I can understand you might have different preferences but you're just slating the whole company. Everything you said before your 'fan boy' remarks, sounded considered and believable. But you just sound annoyed now.

That box I got was the Dyno and it's fairly **** alright. Makes it worse that I've four of them lying around now!!!

I am not anti apple, but I just think their time is coming to an end. I never liked apple laptops or computers. Despise OSX, think all their time machine and airport express are rubbish. I only ever liked my iPhone, but work gave me an S3 and I much prefer it. It took me 5 min to write a working app on android. With iOS you are restricted to using apple computers to write the apps, plus xcode is rubbish.

The only reason I bought the atv2 was because of the jailbreak and XBMC because of my involvement in the scene. I just feel that there are better devices out there. The op specifically asked for a method of watching non itunes items on his tv, is it wrong that I give him the best advice??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Also it's incorrect. You can play 3D movies on the ATV, no problem.

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    Clearly, you do not :rolleyes:

Right, I am listed as a developer on the XBMCHub forum, I developed a plug in that has had about 10,000 downloads so far. I have also been contributing to this particular forum since it started and have helped 100's people with issues with their iOS devices.

I'm also an IT consultant by profession and have been working with IT for about 26 years now.

How about if you are going to be rude you just keep your opinions about my knowledge to yourself. Its people like you that make me not want to help out on these forums and as a mod you should not really be flaming people for their advice.

Advertisement