Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple TV question

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

kjl, lose the attitude please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

kjl wrote: »
    Actually all android devices can be rooted, hence not a closed system

No..but Google no longer share the source code since 4.0 so Android can no longer be classed as open source...
    Root is essential a jailbreak so if I jailbreak my ip4 does that mean that ios is not a closed system?
    From a developer point of view obviously Andoid would be a more exciting platform since you have a lot less restrictions etc and a lot more to play with.
    It doesn't mean Apple are going away though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If you have an iPad or iPhone, try airvideo server on your mac and one of the AirVideo Apps on your iPhone/iPad. From there you can stream directly to the AppleTV.

Works great and transcodes most video on the fly as required.

http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/index.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Actually all android devices can be rooted, hence not a closed system

And apple devices can be jail broken, hence not a closed system. At least compare like with like in your argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

You know the gbox midnight is only €120, it has netflix, xbmc, skyplayer. 4 usb ports, AV and RGB out. Doesn't require any transcoding and plays 1080p flawlessly.

Kjl

can I get more info from you regarding this device.

I have a jb ATV2 which does fine, but I am looking to roll out similar devices to the 3 bedrooms, and this looks like the ideal solution.

Are they easy enough to config for the novice?

Is there any other devices you would recommend?

We would probably be better off to take it to PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

kceire wrote: »
    And apple devices can be jail broken, hence not a closed system. At least compare like with like in your argument.

Oh really, so Apple freely allow jailbreaking and are not trying to stop it in any way, they are not closing every possible injection vector in iOS?

This thread is about an apple tv 3, can that be jailbroken? Do please tell, because it's been on the market for over a year now and still not even a budge in the direction of jailbreaking it.

Android is the way forward for all these set top devices. Just look at the OUYA or the NVidia Shield. The mobile processer market is now getting to what PC market is. Microsoft don't release the source code for Windows, but you still have access to every API and system files, so you can do what you like to it.

I give you a great example, I have an iPhone 4s and it's great and all, but I have a jailbreak app that makes it so that when I double click the power button the LED light comes on. Now, lets say I upgrade to 6.0.1 I lose that feature. Why do they do this I hear you ask, to make money from the App that are sold on their market, they take 30% of every sale made just to hosts the application and payment system that's about 29% more than any other software vendor. And while it didn't matter when they were pioneering the mobile technology now it does.

I like Apple but I am just sick of paying Apple tax, when there are comparable if not better devices out there for a lot cheaper with an open os.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Thats fabulous, but then with all your wisdom, you should know to back up points with relevant sources rather then try and pass off personal opinion as fact.

:)

Sorry, but not personal option fact as represented in their stock price drop.

http://news.msn.com/science-technology/apple-cuts-orders-for-iphone-5-parts-as-sales-slow

Leiva wrote: »
    Kjl

can I get more info from you regarding this device.

I have a jb ATV2 which does fine, but I am looking to roll out similar devices to the 3 bedrooms, and this looks like the ideal solution.

Are they easy enough to config for the novice?

Is there any other devices you would recommend?

We would probably be better off to take it to PM.

It come pre installed with XBMC, but realistically for best performance you should use the barebones XBMC install. The website has decent enough steps on how to install this.

Its a great little box, the wifi can be a little short range but I found that changing the wireless channel on my router gave a better range. You need to experiment, but it shouldn't be a problem.

I would warn you thought, XBMC for android is still in beta so there are some small issues like 4:3 scalling etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

HD over wireless sucks though :(
    It's just not stable or fast enough for it.
    I'm using homeplugs on my NAS and they're really excellent. They've really come along ways in the few years they've been out..yet wireless is still crap even though we get these claimed 300mbps etc which are all bull.
    You're lucky to get 8-12mb/s over wireless.. wired I'm hitting over 80mb/s on my NAS through gigabit which basically allows me to stream a 1080p HD movie on about 5-7 devices simultaneously without jitter.
    I like that the ATV has ethernet ..I just wished Apple would open it a bit more..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

It come pre installed with XBMC, but realistically for best performance you should use the barebones XBMC install. The website has decent enough steps on how to install this.

Its a great little box, the wifi can be a little short range but I found that changing the wireless channel on my router gave a better range. You need to experiment, but it shouldn't be a problem.

I would warn you thought, XBMC for android is still in beta so there are some small issues like 4:3 scalling etc.

Thanks for the quick reply Kjl.

I will look more into them but please keep me informed of any device you may think of as I have a pretty reasonable budget for the 3 bedrooms,not thousands but enough to buy decent hardware, and I will also be running cable and doing everything over ethernet.

I maybe should get a consultation and do it properly with Servers etc - but im a bit green in this area so might just stick with my NAS etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,645 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What advantages does jail breaking offer? Is it just being able to play downloaded film? My tele, amp and blue ray can all play those files.
    What advantage would I get by jail breaking.

ted1 wrote: »
    What advantages does jail breaking offer? Is it just being able to play downloaded film? My tele, amp and blue ray can all play those files.
    What advantage would I get by jail breaking.

There are certain plug ins that can not be mentioned in this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,645 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There are certain plug ins that can not be mentioned in this forum.
    But what's the advantage, I love my ATV I just press the button on the movie plays, does exactly what it says on the tin

ted1 wrote: »
    But what's the advantage, I love my ATV I just press the button on the movie plays, does exactly what it says on the tin

We are not allowed to talk about it. Goto XBMCHub.com for more details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

1st February could become a good day for AppleTV 3 owners....http://www.appletv3jailbreak.com

1st February could become a good day for AppleTV 3 owners....http://www.appletv3jailbreak.com

I am pretty sure nitroTV said this was a fake but time will tell.

I am pretty sure nitroTV said this was a fake but time will tell.

I'm not holding my breath anyhow. Was having a good read about them GBox devices, impressive piece of kit.

I'm not holding my breath anyhow. Was having a good read about them GBox devices, impressive piece of kit.

I have linux installed on mine, it's pretty cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

so its the 1st :confused:

BArra wrote: »
    so its the 1st :confused:

yeah, it was fake

• Advertisement

Yeppa fake, nothing on the horizon, ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Thrawn

I don't think this one will be broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

The applejailbreak site is a fake

Just generates web hits for the ads on the page

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭skydish79

I am using the Gbox Midnight with a barebones XBMC version of android.

I remember you were looking at some crap box on XBMCHub, if thats the one you got then I am not surprised it's not working for you. You need a min of tegra 3 to run xbmc smoothly. Works fine on s3 too

Can you recommend place to order the gbox midnight

Advertisement