Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blood Tests for aging GD

• 18-01-2013 2:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

Our 5.5 yr old Great Dane has recently experienced a lot of fluxuating weight. She's always been slender, but at 45kg she was average. But in the last month she's dropped significantly (to skin/bone stage @ 38 kgs). We actually have figured out that this weight drop is mainly due to stress (we left her w/ friends while we were on hols, and then the excitement of house construction/holidays/visitors at the house/etc). After the stress passes she has filled back out each time. Ok, so she's a sensitive homebody. No problem.

Now we know that GD's aren't blessed with wonderfully long lifespans so we have brought her to the vet to have her checked over just in case there was something more sinister involved in her weight loss. They didn't feel overly concerned but agreed to do a blood tests just in case. The results came back showing the liver/kidney function is normal, but the machine clogged during the red/white blood cell count so that test wasn't done. The vet wasn't concerned about this b/c she said if there was anything going on with our dog then the kidney/liver function would be abnormal.

I know nothing about this, but just want to ensure our girl has as much time as possible. Would it be beneficial to request the red/white cell test be redone? Does that test really matter much? If not, I'm wondering if we would be justified in asking for a refund of a portion of the cost of the test? It cost €80 (plus the €30 consult fee) so if they were only able to do half the test b/c their machine failed, am I out of line asking for some of the €80 back?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ayla wrote: »
    It cost €80 (plus the €30 consult fee) so if they were only able to do half the test b/c their machine failed, am I out of line asking for some of the €80 back?

You're absolutely not out of line and they should have offered to repeat the test again or only charge you for the biochemistry part (liver/kidney function).

The red/white cell part of a blood test is called Haematology or CBC Complete Blood count and the liver/kidney part is Biochemistry. These are the 2 common organs tested but is really only a small panel. The 2 together would be called something like a "General Panel,General Health profile or Basic Profile".

What the haematology will tell you is whether your dog is anaemic, dehydrated (this will be indicated on the results as HCT/PCV and Hgb), your white cells parameters will indicate if there's a leukemia,random infection or allergic reaction and a platelet count in basic terms if they suspect a bone marrow disorder or the dog is haemhorraging.

By just performing a liver/kidney function test they really have only done a very small % of what can be tested for but by doing their workup they may not feel a CBC was warranted i.e mucous membranes weren't pale,lymph nodes were normal and no raised temp. But do ask for a repeat or your money back, either way you've paid for it.

That's a very significant amount of weight to lose due to stress though. Have they given you any other reasons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

The only other suggestions they had is that arthritis might be setting in and perhaps it would be helpful to start her on some meds for that. Otherwise they said if her weight doesn't improve then maybe we could put her on puppy food so the extra calories will help plump her back out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

That seems like a very blasé response to such a dramatic weight loss. One of the first things that sprang to mind is Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency which wont show on her pancreatic enzyme results (lipase/amylase) generally and you will need either a faecal elastase test or a TLI,folate and cobalamin. This is an enzyme that is produced in the pancreas and a decreasing level means the dog isnt absorbing nutrients correctly.This NOT pancreatitis.Adding extra calories when she cant absorb calories properly will do no good. This is just my guess now, it could be definitely due to stress but they should be more thorough to be honest. Mention this to them and see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Thanks. Out of fairness to the vet, we mentioned to them how our dog seemed to improve after each session of stress. I can't imagine that would happen if there was some underlying condition. Or maybe the stress only exacerbates it...

Advertisement