Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedigree Jack Russell "Jasper" Needs a New Home!

• 18-01-2013 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Unfortunately I have to rehome one of my dogs (one of twoJack Russells).

Jasper isfinding it hard to adjust to our now 3 year old child living (and playing!) in the samehouse and he would suit a home with older kids.

There have been no incidents of snapping or biting, he isjust finding it hard to adjust and instead of pushing the issue with him, whichmay lead to an incident, we have decided to rehome him.

If you know of anyone who may be looking to offer a dog agood home, please let me know. Photo attached.

A bit about Jasper:

§ Jack Russell

§ Pedigree

§ Male

§ Black/White/Brown

§ Wire hair (very rarely sheds, if at all)

§ 5 years old

§ Irish Kennel Club Registered

§ Micro chipped

§ Neutered

§ Kennel Cough treated

§ Has always slept outdoors (in a dog house)

§ Is house trained and brought in during thesevere winter months

§ Does not chew furniture

§ Does not dig up the garden

§ Loves walks and will chase a ball in a park forhours (literally hours!)

§ Lead trained, however can be a barky on the leadin the presence of other dogs

§ Does not particularly like the vet, but what dogwould

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

What part of the country are you in? Also im not sure what you mean by it being "hard to adjust". Is he growling at your 3 year old?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Tinbox

Hi

I am in Dublin, but can travel.

No, there has been no incidents, no growling etc, he is just not adjusting to having a 3 year old running around the house. My wife noticed it also. We have a second JR and there are no issue with her at all, its just the male.

All of the details outlined above is truthful etc.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Tinbox wrote: »
    All of the details outlined above is truthful etc.
    Im not doubting that, but many dogs while not particularly liking the kids in the house "put up with them" for their whole lives without anything ever happening. I dont understand when he hasnt so much at glanced at her in the wrong direction that he's getting rehomed "just in case".

Anyway...you're in Dublin, thats grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Tinbox

Thanks

I was only commenting on the truthful bit, as people can be flowery about the past of the pet, just to get rid of them.

Anyways, he's a good dog, but he has changed. You note the term 'put up' with the kids for their whole lives. Myself and my wife are making a judgement call to avoid the 'putting up' to 'not putting up' and we have a scared child.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Why is your child scared if the dog never growled or snapped?

If you've 100% made up your mind then best of luck finding a place for him, I'd suggest you come up with a list of rehoming criteria for him and I'd suggest a home visit to meet the new owners and see where he'll be living.

If you haven't already, speaking to a behaviourist, or even detailing the issues here and letting people suggest what worked for them with a child/dog household might help you see a way of keeping him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I agree with above, if the dog hasn't growled or snapped then why is your child scared?

From the childs perspective how do they interact with the dog? I assume they're only together when supervised so you must be able to observe something from both sides. ie does the child pull at the dog or try and lift it? Does the dogs body language change when the child is near? A behaviourist will be able to read the dogs body language and tell you what the problem may be.

Your child is the priority of course but if the situation can be worked on would you be willing to keep your dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

You say your dog "has changed". Did you rule out a medical issue? If dogs are sore or in some type of pain their behaviour will change. It could explain wariness/intolerance of a toddlers boisterous behaviour.

Advertisement