Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blanchardstown Centre - history of tenants

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

Sorry to abbreviate your quote Shane, but you have hit the nail on the head there. A lot of people are realising they don't need to hit the centre for all their everyday needs when they can just get them online,

I think he was saying the opposite tbh, and he would be right. Online shopping is an absolute pain in the hoop. If shopfront retail was going to die it would have done so by now.

Off the top of my head- Tommy Hilfiger shops now in Grafton St, Swords, Kildare Village, JD Sports moving to a bigger outlet in Jervis St and a second larger one in Blanch, the massive Sports Direct in town, new small Lifestyle sports in Blanch, seems the men at the top aren't as taken with online shopping as the niche enthusiasts. I enjoy a day out dropping a few quid on some shirts and a jacket, can't get that vibe playing russian roulette online.

How anyone buys things like jackets, shoes or jeans/ trackie pants online I will never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭avalidusername

I think he was saying the opposite tbh, and he would be right. Online shopping is an absolute pain in the hoop. If shopfront retail was going to die it would have done so by now.

Off the top of my head- Tommy Hilfiger shops now in Grafton St, Swords, Kildare Village, JD Sports moving to a bigger outlet in Jervis St and a second larger one in Blanch, the massive Sports Direct in town, new small Lifestyle sports in Blanch, seems the men at the top aren't as taken with online shopping as the niche enthusiasts. I enjoy a day out dropping a few quid on some shirts and a jacket, can't get that vibe playing russian roulette online.

How anyone buys things like jackets, shoes or jeans/ trackie pants online I will never know.

Ah maybe we just took him up differently. I normally hit the Sports Direct spot for cheap workwear cos they have the nice baggy Lonsdale trackies with the zip end I like.

How anyone would buy footwear online is beyond me, that's russian foolette!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

How anyone would buy footwear online is beyond me, that's russian foolette!

Absolutely. Only time I've bought online is when

a- something has jumped out at me via an ad that I just can't see myself finding in a local store (80's Casual Classics have some lovely clobber of that type, for one rare example)

b- a jacket I've fancied in store but didn't have my size so I hunt down the right one online

Aside from that I wouldn't touch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Will Oasis / Warehouse / Laura Ashley be gone now too?

All seem to be in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

BlondeBomb wrote: »
    Will Oasis / Warehouse / Laura Ashley be gone now too?

All seem to be in trouble.

Yes. All are being liquidated, they are not coming back.

You'd have to assume that a few more will follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Absolutely. Only time I've bought online is when

a- something has jumped out at me via an ad that I just can't see myself finding in a local store (80's Casual Classics have some lovely clobber of that type, for one rare example)

b- a jacket I've fancied in store but didn't have my size so I hunt down the right one online

Aside from that I wouldn't touch it.

Fairly similar myself, always like to see clothes before I wear them. What was useful in Debenhams was the in-store facility to order online, so if you tried something on for size but they didn't have the colour you liked, you could order it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The Chinese Traditional Medicine place appears to have closed - the outside of it is completely boarded up, shop name no longer visible etc. Not sure how long it's been like that, only noticed when heading to Gleesons the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

miamee wrote: »
    The Chinese Traditional Medicine place appears to have closed - the outside of it is completely boarded up, shop name no longer visible etc. Not sure how long it's been like that, only noticed when heading to Gleesons the other day.

Considering a lot of stores had their premises locked up and unlit for months, it would be hard to know what's still in business or not when they get the official nod to reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭ongarite

That place has opened and closed various times as virtually the same type of store each time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

miamee wrote: »

This is now a phone and phone accessories shop called FunTech.

• Advertisement

Adding here that The Camera Centre in the Red Mall is now closed, must be one of the older tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Luttrell1975

When did Maplin disappear? I remember you could get any kind of charger/lead/flex there, even older stuff.

Maplin is gone years, I don't know how many.

Yeah but they had everything and didn't mind ordering stuff. Worth every penny IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Dragging up an old thread here but followers of it may be able to confirm - when the supermarket in Roches Stores closed down, did anything replace it between then and Debenhams taking over the unit? Having a discussion on another forum about Roches Stores in general and I thought the supermarket was open until the end but another poster has a newspaper article pointing out that the supermarket in Blanchardstown was already closed then (2004 I think) while the rest of the shop was still operational. Can anyone remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Wasn't the supermarket originally SuperValu with Roches Stores upstairs?

No it was a Roches Stores supermarket, I worked there for a couple of years when it opened first. I'm not sure if it became a Supervalu afterwards, I don't think so but open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭supereurope

Not sure if this is of interest to anyone here, but here's an ad for the centre from 15 October 1996, the eve of opening day. The list of day one tenants is at the bottom of the ad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement