Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PETITION "That Irish Animal Shelters Should Receive Dumped Burger Meat"...please sign

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What about Dunnes, Aldi and Lidl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Great idea, hope it works out for the shelters rather than all that meat getting wasted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭DogsFirst

Hi Folks,

Please sign this petition folks.

We're trying to get our hands on all the horse burger meat that's about to be dumped for any and all dog charities interested. It's an absolute disgrace if this goes in the bin.

We have a few contacts in the industry and we'll try the press with it, see if they bite, but if anyone has any angles whatsoever, we'd love to hear them.

Cheers in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭electronic

Done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

That's a great idea! Signed and shared on my facebook and twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pimlico

Signed and shared on my FB page. Fantastic idea, will be getting the word out to all my mates and their mates etc.... This need signatures! Great Stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Pimlico wrote: »
    Signed and shared on my FB page. Fantastic idea, will be getting the word out to all my mates and their mates etc.... This need signatures! Great Stuff!

Ditto.

Great Idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

Done.

The REAL crime would be to waste this food, it simply must be put to good use and since it won't be allowed to feed hungry people, it is right and proper that it goes to feed poor unfortunate animals. I don't do Facebook but I will spread the word. How long do we actually have before it's destroyed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Signed and shared on facebook. Hope this goes ahead, I'd hate to think of all that meat going to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Done and shared on Facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

fifib wrote: »
    Mod note: Threads merged

Taken from the Dogs First Facebook page:

PETITION "That Irish Animal Shelters Should Receive Dumped Burger Meat"

OK folks, lets see if we can get 10,000 names on this. We're talking tonnes of meat.

I'll send it on Dept. Of Agr., Tescoes, and the two companies involved. I'll also tell the papers.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/196/978/198/that-irish-animal-shelters-should-receive-any-dumped-burger-meat/

Hope it will work!
    Thanks ;)

Wonderful idea but you need to clean up the survey text before presenting it, it's full of typos and may not be taken as seriously as it should be. You have Department spelled wrong, Tesco spelled as "Tescoes" and there's no such thing as "Liffey Valley Meats", Liffey Valley is a shopping centre. It's "Liffey Meats". Sorry if I sound like a grammar nazi :( You also haven't mentioned any of the other supermarkets who were selling these burgers, or is there a specific reason you're only targeting Tesco?
    Best of luck with it, it would be a shame if all that food was wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Personally I think it's great in theory but not really workable because I wouldn't say there are many rescues that have the freezer capacity to store it all, even if they want it. I personally wouldn't fed a rescue dog cheap defrosted burgers. And who would arrange transport of the food?

I hate to be a nay'sayer but this a bit silly, IMO. The reason the SVdP etc. wouldn't/couldn't accept the food was because of the logistics involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Yeah; a load of raw frozen meat dumped on the doorstep. That's exactly what shelters need most.

Be sure to sign up to million tshirts for Africa while you're at it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'm open to correction, but is this meat even available? I'd have assumed it has been long discarded at this point... Why would the supermarkets/authorities have used up vast freezer space to keep these condemned burgers? I'd find it hard to believe that these burgers are anywhere other than incinerated, on landfill, or at best, defrosted and rotting in skips.
    Can OP or Dogs First confirm if they know if these burgers are still (a)viable, and (b)available, before asking people to sign petitions?

Wow, that went from really positive to really negative. Incredible!

Re burgers for rescue dogs, most rescues have no intentions of taking the stuff, but some do. I reckon a tonne or two could be distributed this way. I have contacted every dog charity and heard back from some who have capacity. I tried initially to source it for 5 or 6 larger clients here who could take one and a half tonnes for their hounds and dogs. That's how it started. So that's be two and a half tonnes saved from incineration. I'd be happy with that.

Re typos, pretty bad (Liffey Valley Meats...bloody hell!), just wanted to bang it up there, thats what happens

Re not giving cheap burger meat to shelter dogs, if you know a shelter thats giving their dogs better food than burger meat I'd like to know how, when the vast majority are struggling to keep the heating on. I've worked in these places. Anyway cheap burger meat is vastly superior nutritionally for a carnivore than any cereal based dry food on the market today. And that's in tests of beef fed dogs v super premium fed dry (ANTECH 2003). It sure would be tastier.

We'll pick up the meat from said places at our own cost and drop the meat in bulk via refrigerated vehicles.

Look where there's a will there's a way. I was just trying to draw some attention to the meat being dumped. It's not dumped yet, it needs to be incinerated and this doesn't happen over night. Maybe half them got to the incinerator on Friday evening, but I doubt it moves that quick. When you're talking tens of tonnes of burgers, how do we really know it's not destined for somewhere else? Like France! I have been in contact with some of the companies involved, one of which appears reasonably receptive to the idea and said they would call me Monday.

If we could just help one or two out we'd be doing something.

All this tak is like that scene in the Life Of Brian, where they're all sitting around arguing about how to take affirmative action about the romans, arguing about the plans, what day, when to meet, what time, with nothing actually getting done. Like our government, all talk. In the meantime I'm off to call in to one of these places and see what I can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 The Singing Scientist

Yeah; a load of raw frozen meat dumped on the doorstep. That's exactly what shelters need most.

Be sure to sign up to million tshirts for Africa while you're at it.

It baffles me that you would scoff at someone's positive efforts to reduce the waste of food and use it for a good cause.

I follow many animal shelters through Facebook and the one thing that they are always crying out for is supplies - office supplies, food supplies, donations of cages/blankets/toys etc. for animals, and so on. Of course some of them will accept free meat if they can. The only way to find out if they (a) want it and (b) can actually store it is to ask them, which is exactly what DogsFirst is doing!

Please keep us updated on this DogsFirst, as some of us are actually interested to hear how it goes and hope it works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

have you contacted the suppliers though, to see if this is even available? That is the main point that people have issues with, has it been checked that the suppliers still have this meat, and that it has been stored properly?

I think any negativity was entirely justifiable dogs first. People are rightly alarmed by what has happened with this meat, and I think it is facetious for you to criticise anyone who wants to know more about what you intend to do with the stuff that's at the centre of the controversy, and how you're going to do it.
    From my perspective, I find it hard to believe that any of the meat is still viable, because I don't believe it has been kept frozen since the scandal broke. I could stand corrected, but space costs money, so I find it hard to believe that any of the supermarket chains involved have kept the meat in safe, healthy, viable storage.
    If you do pull this off, fair play to you, but I make no apologies for wanting you to clarify a few points, and I resent being compared with a silly scene in a piss-taking film for doing so.

• Advertisement

I also notice that you've posted negatively about boards.ie in your facebook page. It suited you to post the petition up here, and it suited you to get positive comments, but now that some people have simply asked for some clarification, you're now dissing boards in public! Do remember df, that you have an entire thread, actually two threads, in this forum advertising your food and raw feeding and you have got yourself a lot of customers and great publicity out of it.
    As a result, this thread is now veering perilously close to being deleted or closed. As I'm involved in the discussion I won't make a decision on it, but will refer it to the other mods.

DBB wrote: »
    I also notice that you've posted negatively about boards.ie in your facebook page. It suited you to post the petition up here, and it suited you to get positive comments, but now that some people have simply asked for some clarification, you're now dissing boards in public! Do remember df, that you have an entire thread, actually two threads, in this forum advertising your food and raw feeding and you have got yourself a lot of customers and great publicity out of it.
    As a result, this thread is now veering perilously close to being deleted or closed. As I'm involved in the discussion I won't make a decision on it, but will refer it to the other mods.

Delete it if its causing problems DBB, I won't be commenting on it any further

DogsFirst wrote: »

Delete it if its causing problems DBB, I won't be commenting on it any further

I think you're missing my point df. This thread itself isn't causing problems (yet), my suggestion to perhaps close or delete it was because of problems you have caused with your actions, which I consider rash.
    Lest anyone misunderstand, I have no problem with you trying to do what you're doing, but I do object to you
    a) asking posters here to sign a petition, the terms of which may not be fulfillable. It is my responsibility to make sure posters on this forum aren't led into something that may not be able to deliver.
    b) getting snippy about those of us who asked for clarification on how you'd fulfil the demands of the petition, and then comparing us to joke characters in a laughable scene in a comedy film. Surely you can answer our valid questions without belittling us... Remember that some of us are your customers!
    c) linking your fb readers through to this thread, presumably with the intention of provoking a wave of support for your cause (aka trolling)
    d) dissing a forum and site which has been pretty good to you regarding publicity and reviews

Petition is closed. Nearly 1,000 in a week. Not bad!

The dept. stores are unable to help, which is completely understandable. Have a foot in the door of one Irish company involved. They're at least receptive to the idea. A minor success. I'll keep at them.

Thanks to all who participated.

Advertisement