Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulbs starting to come up - what to do in cold weather?

• 18-01-2013 2:54pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I have some tulip bulbs planted in large pots outside the house. They are showing about 1.5cm of green at the moment. Given the expected snow and/or low temperatures, should I cover them in something over the expected bad weather, or just leave them be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Cover them with whatever, towels, cardboard, drag them into a shed, put them under the protection of a sheltered wall. They'll be fairly hardly but anything you can do will help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Hi,

Don't worry about the frost too much, might burn the tip of the leaf but nothing major and they will get over it.

Snow acts as a blanket for bulbs and keeps them nice and warm underneath plenty of times in the past I have seen bulbs poking their heads through the snow!

Hope this helps.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

Nothing, leave them. They're spring bulbs, they're adapted to snow and frost. You'd only have to be concerned if you planted some less hardy ones from southern Europe, but daffs, tulips, crocuses, snowdrops, hyacinths and muscari are all fine.

Advertisement