Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday day between sick days

Options
  • 18-01-2013 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Im feeling a little hard done by, Im wondering if anyone can tell me if it's rightly so.

I went to the doctor last Friday about something and she told me I had a fever and offered me a note for work for the following week, I said no as I felt fine other than earaches I had been getting for weeks. Work has been very busy and I didn't want to leave anyone stuck. My daughter got sick this week but my partner looked after her and I went to work but booked the Thursday off as a holiday as I wasn't feeling great myself and wanted a day to mind my child. All well and good, the holiday was granted but I woke up Wednesday morning sick as a dog and had to call in, I expressed my apologies etc. Was off Thursday on hol but was no better this morning. I got a call from a manager telling me my paid holiday Thursday is void because I was ill Wednesday and Friday.
    I've worked there for seven years and never call in sick so Im so annoyed they'd begrudge me one paid day off out of my own holiday balance.

Im just so annoyed the doctor offered me the entire week off, meaning I would have been paid for most of it, but I was trying to be loyal to the company.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭scotchannie

I think if you go back to your doctor and ask for a sick line then hr can reallocate the holiday back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Should be able to get the day back, but there might be something in your contract about being sick the day before a holiday too.

Doc note might sort it all out tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

I think if you go back to your doctor and ask for a sick line then hr can reallocate the holiday back to you.
    Thanks, Im seeing my doc again tomorrow for a smear (sorry if tmi) I wonder will she charge me another €50 though.
    Im probably over reacting Im just sick and miserable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Doc note will only sort it all out of you get paid sick leave. And a doc note only explains an absence due to illness, it does not excuse it.
    Annual leave and sick leave
    If you are ill while you are on annual leave, you should get a medical certificate from your family doctor (GP) as soon as possible to cover the days that you were sick and give this to your employer as soon as you return to work. In this way, the sick days will not count as annual leave and will be available to you at a later date.

An employer cannot require you to take annual leave for a certified period of illness. However, illness during the leave year will reduce the total number of hours you work and can therefore affect your entitlement to annual leave. While you are on sick leave from work you do not accumulate annual leave entitlement

By rights if you are sick on your AL leave day, it should not be taken as an AL day and instead should be marked as a sick day. You do not "loose" the AL day, it does not become void, but you get it reallocated back into your leave allowance. Perhaps you are misunderstanding them and its not that they are taking away your entitlement to a leave day, but classing it as a sick day because you were sick immediately before and after the leave period.

However, if you do not get paid sick days, then your employer can at their discretion agree to allow you to use your AL entitlement to cover the sick leave, as otherwise you would be sort money for those days. But it is at their discretion.

If you get paid sick leave, then get a note from the doctor to cover the period of illness, take the Thursday as a sick day (if you were genuinely sick) and you will then get the AL day credit back to your allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

AFAIK you can't go from sick leave to annual leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    AFAIK you can't go from sick leave to annual leave.
    Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

As far as I know Little Ted is correct.

If you are out sick you can use a AL day to maintain your wage, at the employer discretion

Not, absolutely sure, but our holiday request form has a tick-box for "Day in Lieu of absence"

But, In our case we get 12 sick days so this is rarely used, except for family emergencies etc.

(Note: Day is still recorded as an absence, the AL is just used to maintain full wages)

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

At my work place, any sick days before or after AL are automatically canceled. However, the day is given back to you and can be used at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, you need to see what your contract says about using AL in the middle of sick leave: I would not be surprised if you're not allowed to do it (think about it: what you have done looks dodgy as from the employer perspective). We cannot really advise you about that, because every company is different.

I'd suggest that in future, if your doctor says you should be off sick, then you accept his/her professional judgement. You may well have done your team more of a dis-service by going in when you were under the weather - spreading germs among them.

And as you say, if you'd done that, you could have claimed sickness benefit for two of the days. Instead, you had three days of unpaid sick leave, and you still have a day of annual leave that you can use later.

Advertisement