Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time for a third way in Irish politics?

• 18-01-2013 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭

We all give out about the unsatisfactory way politics and governance work in this country.
    We tell each other that this is the messy but very necessary side of democracy, and perhaps that is true to a certain extent.
    We also tell each other that we are free to vote out the current bunch of muppets at the next elections. This is hardly a panacea when the only available option is an even bigger muppet.
    I have long thought that democracy needs a third level of activation!
    What I propose is that we use the law and the courts to make government accountable to the will of the people.
    I will give two recent examples of where this might be used with effect:
    1] During the debacle over the building of the new Children’s Hospital on the Mater site a report was commissioned by Mary Harney and she used this report to push the case for the Mater.
    Trouble was that although we had paid for this report we were refused access to it.
    I think they should have been taken up the steps on that one!
    2] We had the recent Dail committee inquiry into the banking crisis and this type of mealy mouthed bull**** was allowed to pass almost unchallenged. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82019170
    Two public interest directors mouthing excuses that a used car salesman would be ashamed of. And they just waltz off into the sunset without a scratch on them.
    Imagine if they had to face a proper cross examination by a good barrister and made to account for their nonsense.

"The separation of powers prevents it" I hear you say, but the law has been
    evolving since the time of the Magna Carta and has consistently trickled down towards the level of the common man.
    Would anybody be interested in giving their time and a small annual subscription towards the formation of a "middle of the road" organisation mandated to to take selected cases against the government where their actions seem un-democratic or unfair?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Neutronale

I cant imagine another "new party" after the astounding failure of the great saviors of civilisation - the PDs :o

Starting a new party is a difficult and arduous task and the middle ground is already over-crowded...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement