Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP G62 laptop screen going black

Options
  • 18-01-2013 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭

Hi all my HP G62 laptop's screen keeps going black while I'm using it.

If I tilt the screen it comes back to colour/screen comes back on sometimes or if it dosent if I press ctrl + alt + delete when task manager starts the colour comes back sometimes but sometimes I have to close the screen let it go to stand by and turn back on.

When the screen is black if I plug in a HDMI cable to it I can see all on the tv so its not the computer its just the screen.

Anybody any ideas how to fix this?

I cant afford to bring it to a repair place.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Could be a number of things, LCD Panel needs replacing, data cable needs replacing or maybe even inverter issues. If you are comfortable working with computers it usually isn't that complicated replacing the lcd panel or other bits, but you would want to rule out other issues like data cable or inverter first. Does the display come back if you gently wiggle the screen on its hinges for a bit?

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Yes it does come sometimes on if i wiggle the hinges and sometimes part of the screen only comes on

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Yes it does come sometimes on if i wiggle the hinges and sometimes part of the screen only comes on

It could be the data cable, try part dissemble the laptop until you have exposed the data cable (Ie: remove the screen bezel (sometimes screws are under the plastic rubber things, others there are no screws just pry it off gently) and pop off the keyboard/palm rest bit) and wiggle the data cable. If doing this causes the change then a cable replacement will likely sort out the issue. You can usually get replacement ones cheap enough on ebay.
    All laptops are different but look for a service manual on how to take apart your particular model. In many laptops you won't need to even remove the screen/lid from the laptop to replace the lcd panel, but you will need to have access under the keyboard where the data cable likely resides

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

yoyo wrote: »
    It could be the data cable, try part dissemble the laptop until you have exposed the data cable (Ie: remove the screen bezel (sometimes screws are under the plastic rubber things, others there are no screws just pry it off gently) and pop off the keyboard/palm rest bit) and wiggle the data cable. If doing this causes the change then a cable replacement will likely sort out the issue. You can usually get replacement ones cheap enough on ebay.
    All laptops are different but look for a service manual on how to take apart your particular model. In many laptops you won't need to even remove the screen/lid from the laptop to replace the lcd panel, but you will need to have access under the keyboard where the data cable likely resides

Nick

Thanks very much for your help, I'll try that later :)

Advertisement