Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone talk me through this answer (java question)

Options
  • 18-01-2013 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

I have seen the answer but for life of me cant understand how its output is

b 3

See attached

Can someone talk me through how this is the answer?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There are two different a's here. Foo has Foo.a and Bar has Foo.a and Bar.a.

So when you say f.addFive(); the Bar.a variable is being changed. Here b is printed out.

But then the foo.a variable is printed out in the next line, which was never modified.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭veryangryman

There are two different a's here. Foo has Foo.a and Bar has Foo.a and Bar.a.

So when you say f.addFive(); the Bar.a variable is being changed. Here b is printed out.

But then the foo.a variable is printed out in the next line, which was never modified.

Thanks much appreciated :D

Advertisement