Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais Energy Theatre

Options
  • 18-01-2013 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

I bought 4 tkts for Oliver from Gumtree at face value 240 euro in the run up to Xmas , when my wife and kids attended there was a man sitting in our seats , he started to shout that the tkts were stolen from his house.
    My wife froze on the spot as this guy continues to shout at the top of his voice , the manageress took them both outside to sort it out , it then transpires that the mans daughter stole them from his house and sold them to me.
    At this stage my 2 kids are crying and my wife is stunned ,this gentleman is still shouting that he wants to sit in his original seats .
    The manageress allowed him to stay where he was and put my family in the back row.
    At the interval the she said she was sorry about what happened but she had to sort it out quickly and because the other guy was "rough " she allowed him to stay, she also took our details and said they would be in touch after Christmas.
    I rang them last week to find out how my wife ended up in the back row when she had in her possession valid tkts for better seats and the reply was that it was our fault for buying the tkts from Gumtree .
    Now my argument is that it does not matter where the tkts came from it should have been handled better on the night by management, as far as the theatre is concerned they have done nothing wrong but I think we could have been treated alot better?
    Sorry for the long post.
    Any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Buying from touts is very much "buyer beware". Tickets, generally speaking, aren't transferable. It's worth pointing out that you could be seen to be guilty of "handling stolen goods" if a judge was to decide that you were "reckless" as to whether or not the tickets were stolen.

Basically, you have no rights here, and the management would have been within their rights to remove your wife from the theatre altogether, never mind from those particular seats

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I see you having very few rights here as you bought your tickets from an unofficial source. They didnt even have to let you stay in the theatre but they did accomodate you.

Moral of the story - Only buy tickets from official sources

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

To be honest I would be writing a Thank You card to the management as they would have been well within their rights to ask your family to leave as they were not in the procession of valid tickets.

The owners of the tickets of the tickets quite rightly repoted the tickets as stolen to the threatre and got them re issued.

In this case buyer beware, buy from either the theatre or ticketmaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

If there were empty seats in the Theatre then presumably there were still tickets on General sale.

In those circumstances, why take the risk of buying from an unknown source on a third party website?

You were very lucky not to be asked to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭ALS

Thanks for the input people,
    Buyer beware I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Curiousity here - what stops someone from buying tickets, selling them on themselves then reporting them 'stolen' and getting them re-issued?

What proof did Mr Shouty have that his daughter had in fact stolen the tickets?

I do agree that buying tickets off touts and gumtree does leave you open to potential problems though.

cuckoo wrote: »
    Curiousity here - what stops someone from buying tickets, selling them on themselves then reporting them 'stolen' and getting them re-issued?

What proof did Mr Shouty have that his daughter had in fact stolen the tickets?

I do agree that buying tickets off touts and gumtree does leave you open to potential problems though.

Nothing really, which is why you should only buy from official sources. If you buy from a tout, you have absolutely no comeback or protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

MarkMc wrote: »

Nothing really, which is why you should only buy from official sources. If you buy from a tout, you have absolutely no comeback or protection.
    Whats even more dangerous are the new ticketfast tickets. There is nothing stopping you printing the ticket 10 times and selling them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Interesting. Doesn't GBE scan the tickets on the way in? Surely those scanning would have been notified that the tickets had already gone through the system once that evening. Should have been alarm bells at the door, not when OP took their seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Am I missing something here. How did your man get in if he had no tickets. Would we all get free entry if we turned up and claimed our tickets were nicked :confused:

• Advertisement

emeldc wrote: »
    Am I missing something here. How did your man get in if he had no tickets. Would we all get free entry if we turned up and claimed our tickets were nicked :confused:

When he bought his ticket he would have given his name and credit card details. He probably rang the theatre/ticketmaster and reported his tickets stolen. He gave them his name and details, they checked them on the system and could see he had bought the tickets from them and reissued them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Miaireland wrote: »
    When he bought his ticket he would have given his name and credit card details. He probably rang the theatre/ticketmaster and reported his tickets stolen. He gave them his name and details, they checked them on the system and could see he had bought the tickets from them and reissued them.

It shows you how often I go to the theatre :D
    Just the same it sounds like a nice little scam for anyone with a neck hard enough to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

But if he reported the tickets as stolen, then the OP's should have been rejected when attempting entry.

Sounds like something amiss here.

The ticket scanning is hit and miss at the best of times. In Croker we regularly have two sets of people come in with the same printed ticketfast tickets.

It's not a flaw per se, just a misunderstanding of the nature of tickets on behalf of the gumtree purchasers. Tickets are typically not allowed to be resold (especially for profit). Even at face value, the gumtree purchasers do not have a contract with anybody other than your wife. If they have a grievance, the only person they can go back to is your wife. They have absolutely no relationship to either ticketmaster or the event holder

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Patrick01

@ 28064212 - I deleted my post as it was posted in error before completion and by the time I realised, it had become too long winded and complexed. Essentially, your post answered the point I was hoping to make. However, it does remove a certain degree of credence from the ' Only those in receipt of a valid ticket will be admitted '.

BGE management told me since that the guy who insisted his tickets had been stolen had other cheaper tickets as well ? And had gained entry with these , the tkts I bought from his daughter were bought for cash in a ticketmaster outlet, no there was nobody to trace them back to,
    The lady I spoke with who dealt with the matter on the night thinks we were caught up in a scam ., ie he buys good tickets , sells them on , attends the event with cheaper tickets and then makes a song and dance to sit in the better seats ??
    I would have thought the holder of tickets at an event is entitled to the seat number as stated on the ticket , especially if cash was paid for the ticket in the first instance,
    Why buy 2 separate sets of tickets to the one event ? :confused:

They have no proof that he didn't buy a set as a gift for someone else etc. In this case you got scammed, you learned a lesson. Thankfully your family did get to see the show even if they did not get the good seats you paid for.

Also thankfully you posted here so other people will beware of the scam.:)

ALS wrote: »
    BGE management told me since that the guy who insisted his tickets had been stolen had other cheaper tickets as well ? And had gained entry with these , the tkts I bought from his daughter were bought for cash in a ticketmaster outlet, no there was nobody to trace them back to,
    The lady I spoke with who dealt with the matter on the night thinks we were caught up in a scam ., ie he buys good tickets , sells them on , attends the event with cheaper tickets and then makes a song and dance to sit in the better seats ??
    I would have thought the holder of tickets at an event is entitled to the seat number as stated on the ticket , especially if cash was paid for the ticket in the first instance,
    Why buy 2 separate sets of tickets to the one event ? :confused:
    Slightly different scenario there, but it changes more between BGE and the other guy than your situation. There's still no contract between you and BGE, as you didn't buy from BGE (or Ticketmaster or other officially sanctioned source)

28064212 wrote: »
    Slightly different scenario there, but it changes more between BGE and the other guy than your situation. There's still no contract between you and BGE, as you didn't buy from BGE (or Ticketmaster or other officially sanctioned source)

What would the scenario be then if the rightful owner had sold on the tickets to me and then turned up on the night claiming them to be stolen , would the contract still be between him and Bge or would it have been passed onto me and Bge ?

• Advertisement

What would the scenario be then if the rightful owner had sold on the tickets to me and then turned up on the night claiming them to be stolen , would the contract still be between him and Bge or would it have been passed onto me and Bge ?
    Essentially, that is the same scenario. At least from the point of view of BGE. As far as they're concerned, they sold tickets to the original person. They don't know you from Adam, so you have no claim in their eyes. You would have to take a case of fraud against the original buyer *

*IMO, IANAL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

the tkts I bought from his daughter were bought for cash in a ticketmaster outlet, no there was nobody to trace them back to,
    :confused:

in this case, BGE cannot prove that the tickets were his. Its only the fact that you had admitted buying them from another party showed that you were not the original purchaser.

Had you not said that, then BGE should have removed this person from your seat and put him in his cheaper seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Whats even more dangerous are the new ticketfast tickets. There is nothing stopping you printing the ticket 10 times and selling them.
    The ticket scanning is hit and miss at the best of times. In Croker we regularly have two sets of people come in with the same printed ticketfast tickets.

Bingo

As far as I know even if you pay cash at ticketmaster they still take a name for the tickets.

Miaireland wrote: »
    As far as I know even if you pay cash at ticketmaster they still take a name for the tickets.

Nope, well not when I bought electric picnic tickets anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,628 ✭✭✭Tow

I see the Metro came to the same conclusion as here. But, that I dont understand is you bought 4 tickets and this fellow sat in all four seats?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Sorry there was him and 3 others in the seats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

I work in a concert venue as an usher and this kind of thing happens regularly,basically if you have stolen tickets whether you knew about it or not you are still handling stolen goods and you should consider yourself luck that you even made it past the ticket scanners as 90% of the time they get instantly rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

That's why the onus is on buyers not to buy them!! Ticketfast tickets can be traced easily and TM will block the accounts of those that copy/re-sell them once they get wind of a fraud. If you do reprint 10 copies only 1 will get in.
    RangeR wrote: »
    Bingo
    triple-M wrote: »
    I work in a concert venue as an usher and this kind of thing happens regularly,basically if you have stolen tickets whether you knew about it or not you are still handling stolen goods and you should consider yourself luck that you even made it past the ticket scanners as 90% of the time they get instantly rejected.

Closer to 99.9% of the time I'd say. If they do get in more often than not it's due to the staff scanning not being strong or vigilant enough to stop them.

OP, IMO the management did you a favour but if the other fella didn't have tickets for those seats then he should have been moved regardless of what he said. If the manager was afraid of upsetting him then that's why they have security. Terms and conditions are printed on the tickets and they should have laid down the law. I'm surprised that they let them away with it as it will only encourage the likes of him to do it again.

P.S... Tickets + Gumtree = Minefield.

• Advertisement
Advertisement