Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Problems With Spelt Flour Breadmaker

Options
  • 18-01-2013 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I have a Panasonic breadmaker up until this month everything was perfect. Since then the white spelt flour bread has been a disaster.There was a three inch gap between the crust on top and where the bread started.Others came out totally flat. I think I have isolated the problem it to the spelt flour.The bread machine makes the normal white bread perfectly. The yeast is in date and we weigh all the ingridients with a digital scale. We have purchased spelt flour from two different supermarkets one in Drogheda and one in Swords.The batches have the same use by date on them 190813JC2324 .My sister who lives in a different county has a similar problem. Anyone else having the same problem ???:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not with spelt flour but a couple of years ago all my wholemeal loaves were coming out as flat as a pancake and not rising. Same recipe, same yeast, in date, still the same quantities. I'm convinced it was a QC problem with the Odlums wholemeal flour I was using and even wrote to them with batch numbers etc. to see if there was any known problem, but nothing. Then all of a sudden, with a new bag of flour everything was fine again. Must just have been a bad batch with low gluten levels I assume.

It might be worth contacting the manufacturer of the flour if you can, and see if they can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭vulmac

Alun wrote: »
    Not with spelt flour but a couple of years ago all my wholemeal loaves were coming out as flat as a pancake and not rising. Same recipe, same yeast, in date, still the same quantities. I'm convinced it was a QC problem with the Odlums wholemeal flour I was using and even wrote to them with batch numbers etc. to see if there was any known problem, but nothing. Then all of a sudden, with a new bag of flour everything was fine again. Must just have been a bad batch with low gluten levels I assume.

It might be worth contacting the manufacturer of the flour if you can, and see if they can help.
    Thanks I have emailed and rang them today unfortunately all off with the snow in England. I have come to the conclusion that there is a high moisture content in the flour ( Doves Farm) and is activating the yeast too soon. As an experiment we put the yeast in first then covered it with a layer of ordinary white flour to protect the yeast. Then the spelt flour and the other ingredients. The result was perfect bread. I will try contacting the manufacturer again next week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

that's good to know. I've been using spelt flour for over a year know for my 50/50 rye/spelt bread but for some reason I always put rye flour into breadmaker first, so never had this problem. now I'm aware not to do the other way around or it might end in disaster. thanks!

This is a copy of the email I sent to Doves Farm. I have sent them numerous emails and pictures of the bread which came out as bricks still no reply. It is probably one of these situations of ignore it and it will go away.

I am very disappointed that I have received no response to date. I have conclusively satisfied myself that there was a problem with batches I purchased with the 08 month in them. All of the batches with 08 were a disaster . We were baking normal white bread and this always came out perfect. When the shops received the stock with 09 month the problem was gone. It was not just the cost of the flour that was the main issue there was so much wasted ingredients and time involved. My wife was without her spelt bread for a month which was the main reason I bought a bread maker in the first instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Have you tried other methods of contacting them? I know it's 2013 and all that, but sometimes the old-fashioned ways are the most effective.

• Advertisement

I contacted them by phone initially. I have not had phone contact since then. I will probably print out the emails and photos and send it on by snail mail

Eventually received email from Doves Farm .They baked bread from the batch I had a problem with and they said it was perfect. I have to say I was not really expecting anything else. I had photographed all the bad bread and sent them on copies. I was not complaining for the sake of complaining. Me wife needs the spelt bread as part of her diet.The following line was part of the email." As a gesture of goodwill we would like to send you a cheque for the replacement of the white spelt flour (£27.76)".

Advertisement