Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bray Heads water courses redirected through residential properties onto Newcourt Rd.

• 18-01-2013 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭

Unwanted waterfall in back garden. Annual water run off avoiding the stream system going through residential gardens including two elderly peoples residences. I don't know exactly if changes further up the mountain affected this.

I suspect it is due to a gully along that road(the one in the video with what looks like the Nile delta flowing from it) being covers over with tarmac. The gully runs/ran along into a stream by the yellow & black marked bridge by St Andrews school. There is a perforated pipe & hardcore filling the gully now & feeding into it but i suspect it is not capturing the same amount as it used to.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

I didn't want to view and not comment. Hope it all abates shortly. That is no joke for the residents affected. The video footage really brings the situation people in the area face, home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's truly awful. I drove over Windgates from Bray to Greystones this afternoon, and the water pouring off the steps of the Bray Head footpath at the Southern Cross roundabout was unreal, as was the amount of water pouring out of that pipe you can see as you go round the roundabout.

I don't know whether it's the individual drains that are bunged up or whether the storm drains are insufficient, or in fact, if there even are any, but in a country with so much rainfall, we sure don't seem to have a clue regarding surface water drainage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I've been keeping rainfall records for 14 years and today is the wettest day in my records by a considerable margin. I think it was wetter in north of county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

Alun wrote: »
    water pouring off the steps of the Bray Head footpath at the Southern Cross roundabout was unreal

Between the golf course & Briar Wood development there's been plenty of alterations to the landscape over recent years. You'd have to hope the appropriate experts are brought in to design the systems.

Alun wrote: »
    I don't know whether it's the individual drains that are bunged up or whether the storm drains are insufficient, or in fact, if there even are any, but in a country with so much rainfall, we sure don't seem to have a clue regarding surface water drainage.

Was walking up past Mountainview Estate & saw that the entrance was like a lake too... there's a stream that comes down off Little Sugar Loaf that runs down past there, varying between an open stream & going underground in concrete pipes before continuing on through Wheatfield & in to the Germans. It seems there are definitely questions to be asked about how we deal with these watercourses as development occurs around & over them. These are definitely the weak points in the system, you'd hope to see the council take responsibility for oversight of their functioning correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

Between the golf course & Briar Wood development there's been plenty of alterations to the landscape over recent years. You'd have to hope the appropriate experts are brought in to design the systems.

Was walking up past Mountainview Estate & saw that the entrance was like a lake too... there's a stream that comes down off Little Sugar Loaf that runs down past there, varying between an open stream & going underground in concrete pipes before continuing on through Wheatfield & in to the Germans. It seems there are definitely questions to be asked about how we deal with these watercourses as development occurs around & over them. These are definitely the weak points in the system, you'd hope to see the council take responsibility for oversight of their functioning correctly.

The stream is called the swann river. Used to do confined space rescue training in a culverted section of it, and at high water flow it was impossible, the pipes were at / above capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭firlodge

Truly awful - my heart goes out to you.
    This has been happening for years on Newcourt Road - a well know TV Journalist who used to live there had it flowing through his house at one time. - Any planning permissions on the road all address it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Was walking up past Mountainview Estate & saw that the entrance was like a lake too... there's a stream that comes down off Little Sugar Loaf that runs down past there, varying between an open stream & going underground in concrete pipes before continuing on through Wheatfield & in to the Germans.
    Sorry for going a bit OT, but I've seen / heard references to "the Germans" before in relation to Bray ... what is it exactly? An area, a housing estate? And why is it so called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

The field that now contains giltspur wood / brook and the fenced off section to the oldcourt castle. Apparantly owned by germans in the second half of the last century...sorry as much as i know.

Advertisement