Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Playing Techniques in an Electronic Band

Options
  • 18-01-2013 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭

It seems to be pretty prevelant now, in Dublin at least, with a few bands being set up using a mixture of guitars, computers and synths. I've watched a few of these bands recently, and a key factor in their success/failure seems to be how well they can mesh the sound of the tech equipment with the live guitars.

As I seeit, it's both a gear thing (quality of amp, good EQ settings and pedals used) and a technique thing (struming chords or types of riffs). Guys getting either of these wrong, or both, tend to jar with the rest of the band, and it all falls down really.

Is anyone else in this kind of band, or seen any good/bad examples of this recently?

Personally, I find keeping the playing really simple, while paying attention to detail when it comes to fx works well enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

From my experience, it doesn't matter what you have going on, be it synths and a brass band or just a 3 peiece of guitar, drums and bass. As a player in a band you need to listen to what everybody else is playing and play an appropriate part which will accompany everybody else.

In a rock band thats quite simple as there's a lot of room for the guitars to dominate, once you start adding more instruments you have to look for a window thats need filling and subtlety becomes more valuable in the part you're adding in.

It's about balancing rhythms and melodies with the other members of the band so that together everything sits well together.

Advertisement