Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are these legal in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Neutron_pot

Any crossbow over a joule in power is classified as a firearm . . . to give you an idea a paintball gun is about 3 joules in power.

But to be perfectly honest that crossbow your looking is looks like a no good, cheap toy . . and as you say yourself its plastic and light. i cant see it being more than a joule..... or lasting for that matter.

I reckon your safe

Any crossbow over a joule in power is classified as a firearm . . . to give you an idea a paintball gun is about 3 joules in power.

But to be perfectly honest that crossbow your looking is looks like a no good, cheap toy . . and as you say yourself its plastic and light. i cant see it being more than a joule..... or lasting for that matter.

I reckon your safe

Thanks, it's just more for appearance and set than actually using it.

Here's the Description of the CB for those who don't want to click the link:

"50LBS Crossbow (Plastic) Specifications: 50 DRAW WEIGHT 150 FPS 5" POWER STROKE 6.5" BOLT RECOMMENDED 0.88lb WEIGHT 12.8" LENGTH x 16.5" WIDTH METAL LIMB PLASTIC BARREL"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭goose banker

I'd say that x bow is shooting bolts well in excess of 1 Joule of energy and therefore not legal without a firearm certificate.

To work out the kinetic energy (KE) of the bolt in Joules you need 2 things- the velocity (v) and the mass (m). I'll work it out using metric/SI units which is mass measured in kilograms and velocity measured in metres per second.

The formula is simple: KE = m X (v X v) / 2 {in other words mass by velocity squared all divided by 2}

We don't have a mass for the bolt but I know my recurve arrow is 21 grams or 0.021 kilograms. That X bow is firing a small bolt so lets take a guess and say it is 10 grams, or 0.010kg for arguments sake.

We have the velocity stated at 150 feet per second. converting that to metres per second we have approximately 46 metres per second.

So kinetic energy using the formula would be: KE = 0.010 X (46 X 46) /2

= 0.010 (2116) / 2

= 21.16 / 2

=10.58J

So your little X bow, using my guess at the mass of the bolt is putting out about 10.6 times the legal limit without holding a firearm licence.

Even if you guess the mass of the bolt at half that again, you're still 5 times the limit....eye opening

[edited for spelling]

Well.... That's kinda crazy. Couldn't purchase anyway, shipping restrictions thank god.

Got a cool super fake toy one which I'll just paint black and it shall be fine!

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/221140564919?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Advertisement