Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing polish characters into mysql with phpmyadmin

Options
  • 18-01-2013 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hi guys quick question im trying to use the import function in phpmyadmin to import csv file into mysql. However I cant get the following characters in ł ż ś ń

I have tried changing the encoding of the excel file I have tried changing the encoding of the import but no dice. If i put them in manually its ok which means the encoding of the db is ok as is the encoding with the field but i get ?? instead of the characters. Any tips on how to avoid these problems

heres some info on platform being used:

Server version: 5.5.21
    Protocol version: 10

MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)
    Web server

Microsoft-IIS/7.5
    MySQL client version: mysqlnd 5.0.8-dev - 20102224 - $Revision: 321634 $
    PHP extension: mysqli

as always thanks again for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Is the original csv file encoded in UTF8 as well? You can use "file" command under linux to find it out - I'm not sure about windows. You may also find "iconv" command useful - same as before about windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭swordsinfo

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Is the original csv file encoded in UTF8 as well? You can use "file" command under linux to find it out - I'm not sure about windows. You may also find "iconv" command useful - same as before about windows.

im using windows :( i have set the option in excel to save csv in utf 8 - i have read up on it and have found a few things regarding latin 2 but I think the utf 8 should work. The database itself is fine because I can do it manually with the inset window of phpmyadmin - drivging me bananas at this stage as i will have to insert 20k or so record in the coming months!!

Can you upload a small sample somewhere? I don't trust soft like excel what it comes to character encoding (MS is not famous for adhering to standards)

[a linux live cd is another option if you're running out of ideas with windows]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Is it xls/xlsx or csv? If it's csv you could open it in something like notepad++ and save it using the desired encoding. As PrzemoF said, Excel isn't always trust worthy as it sometimes does things it's own way.

If its xls/xlsx could you save it as a csv?

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Is it xls/xlsx or csv? If it's csv you could open it in something like notepad++ and save it using the desired encoding. As PrzemoF said, Excel isn't always trust worthy as it sometimes does things it's own way.

If its xls/xlsx could you save it as a csv?

Hay guys thanks for your help - with bits and piece you gave me I was able to do it - basically using notepad++ to sort out the encoding issue. I was able to replace the polish characters with the correct values. But then I had a different issue on the import I was getting a invalid field count error because on of the text fields had a comma in it I tried to get the Columns enclosed with: " to work but it still picked up the comma in the field (the field is a title of a medical abstract so had to be carefully not to change anything)

Finally work around was to replace every comma with a ; it was then easier to identify these in the abstract titles and replace them with commas!

It seemed like a very long winded way of going about it - would anyone else recommend an alternative - some of our other imports would have a couple of k records so cant imagine doing that for each record ??

Thanks again for your help

• Advertisement

[linux point of view advice] Get familiar with cygwin & vim/sed/awk.

PrzemoF wrote: »
    [linux point of view advice] Get familiar with cygwin & vim/sed/awk.

Im coming from a windows environment unfortunately - I think open office was a lot better at handling an import on random characters rather than comma so might try and go back down that route but I wonder will it have the same encoding problem as excel. I have read up more on this and seemingly there is a prob with excel actually saving the file as utf-8

Advertisement