Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broke !

Options
  • 18-01-2013 6:45pm
    Site Banned Posts: 194 ✭✭

Was (am) totally broke, on the way home asked the butcher for 2.25 worth of lambs liver. Delved into freezer and found some frozen veg and threw in the last of the pasta and Taa Dahh !
    Liver_and_onions.jpg

Was lovely. My next trick will be harder. For next week I have...2.5kg rooster spuds, 1 bag onions, 1 bag carrots,2 couliflower, ! cabbage, tray mushrooms, 2 lb frozen mince and 4 tomatoes... Thats it... No money only enough for bus fare, bread and milk. My dry larder is full of herbs etc.
    Sort me out for the week you lot. If you want I will post exactly what I have. I live on my own so its only me.
    Help !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

make a soup

Cook all the veg until fully mashable, put into blender if you have one or just get busy with a potato masher until you have a thick goo. Empty into a large saucepan and add milk stirring strongly as you do so add black pepper, basil, thyme etc to increase the flavour. You should have a good number of bowls.

As for the mince - make burgers (have you got an egg?)

• Site Banned Posts: 194 ✭✭andym1

mike65 wrote: »
    make a soup

Cook all the veg until fully mashable, put into blender if you have one or just get busy with a potato masher until you have a thick goo. Empty into a large saucepan and add milk stirring strongly as you do so add black pepper, basil, thyme etc to increase the flavour. You should have a good number of bowls.

As for the mince - make burgers (have you got an egg?)

No egg, before I posted I counted up my money, I have 14.65 till next wednesday. I dont mind, I have a warm flat, A warm bed, Internet, coffee and my health ! and if I need a 20 my mammy is always there !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

that's a heap of food!

First thoughts, I'd make carrot soup with dried cumin and chilli if that's in your cupboard stash, with a splash of milk.
    I'd make potato wedges for dinner one night, on their own, because that's just something I like to do every now and then.
    I'd bake a potato another night, and top it with chilli, made with some of the mince, the tomatoes, chilli powder and cumin if they're in your cupboard.
    Cauliflower soup, with a dash of milk, potato if it needs thickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Off the top of my head:

Homemade meatballs (mince, herbs and onions)with mashed spuds, sauteed mushrooms and cabbage.
    Potato wedges and homemade burger (mince, onions, other herbs/spices- garlic powder, chilli, cumin, coriander if u have them). You could cut shapes into sliced bread and toast it, fashioning a sort of bun the burger. fry some onions and use a bit of tomato.
    Shepherds pie (mince, carrots, mushrooms,onions, tomatoes) maybe with mashed cauliflower instead of spuds.
    A soup is also a great idea with the carrots and cauliflower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

andym1 wrote: »
    Was (am) totally broke, on the way home asked the butcher for 2.25 worth of lambs liver. Delved into freezer and found some frozen veg and threw in the last of the pasta and Taa Dahh !
    Liver_and_onions.jpg

Where's the pasta in that beautiful photo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I dont mind, I have a warm flat, A warm bed, Internet, coffee and my health ! and if I need a 20 my mammy is always there !

I really, really, really wish more people could look at what they do have and be thankful rather than bitching and moaning about what they don't have.

The amount of people with warm comfortable houses, good food in their bellies, cable TV, internet and petrol in their relatively new cars that think they are on the poverty line pisses me off no end!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

Minder wrote: »

The yellow things, unless I'm mistaken...

Wish my dinnners looked like that when I just threw things together!

• Site Banned Posts: 194 ✭✭andym1

Minder wrote: »
    Sitting on top of the carrotts !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sitting on top of the carrotts !
    Funny looking pasta .. the cross-section through them is all wrong. Those look like yellow beans to me, i.e a component of the mixed veg.

EDIT: thought the photo looked a bit too professional ... it's a cropped version of this ...

http://www.coppercountyfoods.ca/frozen-ready-meals/beef-ready-meals/liver-and-onions_84122

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Alun wrote: »
    Funny looking pasta .. the cross-section through them is all wrong. Those look like yellow beans to me, i.e a component of the mixed veg.

EDIT: thought the photo looked a bit too professional ... it's a cropped version of this ...

http://www.coppercountyfoods.ca/frozen-ready-meals/beef-ready-meals/liver-and-onions_84122

How odd! How did you find that?! According to that link, there is no pasta. The yellow stuff is wax beans (never heard of them myself).

andym1, care to explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just typed "liver and onions" into Google Images:)

That's a US based site, so the beans might be a US thing, but I'm sure I've seen them or something similar in frozen 'exotic' mixed veg packs.

Advertisement