Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too much adrenaline?

• 18-01-2013 7:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

I've been thinking a lot lately about Harley and his little quirks. He's getting stranger as he gets older, and even though I'm accumulating more knowledge about how the doggy brain works I am no clearer on how his little head processes things. He seems to get worried very easily, frustrated very easily and go from sleepy to "GO GO GO" in no time.

Today, I had him at a friends and we were passing through a field to get to another, empty field to play. He attempted to chase a horse (owned by the person who was with me). He has often been around these horses and would potter past them to smell, pee or go from one area of the field to another, and has never done it before. His bark deepened, his hackles were up, he was running forward with a lunging motion, neck stretched, teeth barred. Thankfully the horse kept her head and just looked at him & he returned immediately when called. It was obvious that the whole experience of being in there and knowing he was about to go play ball had him very highly aroused.

I just read an article which I found very interesting.

http://www.dogstardaily.com/blogs/no-more-play-keeps-adrenaline-bay

Maybe I've been doing it all wrong. Walks are usually high energy, on the go for hours followed by a good game of fetch. Am I driving up his levels of adrenaline, and therefore his stress levels?

I would be really interested in opinions and suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Wow, there's some serious reading in there, which really has me wondering about my own collie (from working strains). The only thing I would think in that (where it says dogs may fetch a ball but not really be good for them) respect, is that my dog often lifts a ball, throws it himself, snarls at it, rolls on it, prances onto it (etc) and then promptly drops it in my lap. If he's not looking for me to throw it, then I have absolutely no idea what he wants :rolleyes:

However, from a very busy lifestyle, Shadow has been taught to play by himself with his toys, he needs very little encouraging, but if he is hyper we tell him to "go get your squeaky" and he will contently play with that by himself for up to an hour. Maybe he doesn't get as stressed when he makes the decision to play by himself. Something to watch for all the same! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I'm sure adrenaline production has the same effect on dogs, horses etc. as it does on people. I had a little phase of exercise addiction which lasted years, the more I did the more I wanted to do and the higher the risk the better. These days I'm a lazy sod, forced into remission by injury. :p

Adrenaline is the body's response to fight or flight situations so it makes sense that it works the other way round too. The more adrenaline being produced the more highly strung the dog/horse/person becomes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Yes it does make sense, and here is the problem. Say I decide to try a few weeks with gentle exercise, he's such a little stress ball that even going for a walk gets him going. It's either huge excitement, or it's a trembling "I don't wanna go!". There doesn't seem to be a middle ground with him.

Maybe 5 or 6 very short walks a day instead of 2 long ones might work? But once the leads come out, or our walking shoes go on, he's up and raring to go so I'd imagine the adrenaline is going then anyway.

A lot to think about I think.

Shashabear, I know what you mean, Harley is pretty much obsessed with the ball he loves it. He can relax with it too, if I leave him with it he will lie there chewing on it. However, I was watching something the other day about adrenaline being addictive. Which is not always a bad thing at all of course!! But in Harleys case, with his tendency to get stressed, I'm beginning to wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Shashabear, I know what you mean, Harley is pretty much obsessed with the ball he loves it. He can relax with it too, if I leave him with it he will lie there chewing on it. However, I was watching something the other day about adrenaline being addictive. Which is not always a bad thing at all of course!! But in Harleys case, with his tendency to get stressed, I'm beginning to wonder.[/QUOTE]

As somebody commented on the end of that article, dogs in the wild often play with each other and by themselves, they might not throw balls for each other, but any time my dog plays alone or my partners dog, he is no different "stress" wise than in any other situation. And playing with another dog is entirely natural so I can't see how I could prevent that. If Shadow doesn't want to play or walk, he won't, and I don't make him. He'll bring me a toy/lead if he wants to walk or play, I don't tell him to do it, I take it as him asking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I think food also comes into the equation ;) Certainly with horses that are in work, matching the intake with the required output is a major part in forming the horses 'condition'. A little trial and error might be required, either by reducing the amount the dogs are fed or altering the balance of nutrients (ie. change of diet) should have an effect on their energy levels at least to some degree. Have you thought about trying agility out with the dogs, it requires them to focus on the task at hand a lot more and wears them out quite quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Harley also has a great play drive, but like the situation I described, when he's excited this comes out in ways which makes me wonder if he is stressed. Getting an adrenaline rush, for definite, but not always in a good way. There is something frantic about him nearly all the time. I don't know if I'm explaining it very well.
    Have you thought about trying agility out with the dogs, it requires them to focus on the task at hand a lot more and wears them out quite quickly.

This is a good idea, maybe something more focused than running around chasing the ball, or sniffing at things or swimming. It might crown him.

Advertisement