Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for smartphone/contract

Options
  • 18-01-2013 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭

I am leaving Meteor after many years due to being spam-called by their marketeers all the time.
    I'm looking to get a smartphone on an approx 18 month contract. Don't text much, but do tend to travel, so would need a contract with reasonable roaming charges.
    No preference re brand of phone, but as it would be primarily used to make calls and check emails, I'm not especially bothered about things like cameras or app-stores or facebook connectivity or whatever.
    I do want to avail of new customer offers where possible, and I don't want to get involved with a provider that spamcalls or that has a poor record of customer service if things do go wrong. My budget is flexible depending on the product and deal available.
    Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I would straight away recommend Three or Vodafone.

You mentioned that customer service is important, and I personally have never had a problem with Three (although many disagree), so I would push you towards Vodafone as they have a 'Roaming Passport' option that allows you to pay 'at home' rates once you pay an initial 79c connection fee.

My Way Plus is their smart phone plan, and many phones are subsidised. They start at €30, with free Vodafone calls and texts and 500MB of Internet, which is loads for what you need. You pay €7 for 100 minutes (total then being €37), and unlimited texts are an additional €6. As you can see you add what you want.

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phonesAndPlans/plans/plansListing/VFIEmyWayPlanBuilderMain.jsp?PlansName=My%20Way%20Plus&_requestid=2137380

Move the sliders for what you need.
    From what I am reading, as I said, I don't think that you will need any additional data.
    Do note, however, that smartphones are only available for a minimum of 18 months, and will become cheaper on a 24 month contract.

However, do not rule Three out. They are not easy (some people dislike the Indian call centre), but they also have excellent price plans that may suit your needs. See three.ie for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Thanks for that! That's very useful information. Any recommendations for current models or deals? I'm drawn to the Galaxy range, but as I don't currently have a smartphone, and don't need a phone to use as a camera or for games, I'm unsure what specs I should be looking for.

How much are you willing to spend on a phone?

Up to a couple of hundred, I think, given that I'm prepared to sign up to a contract too.

Samsung Galaxy SIII - €249.99 on 18 month contract. €149.99 on 24 month.
    Samsung Galaxy Note II (my pref.) - €349.99 /18m - €249.99 /24m

• Advertisement

A little rich for my blood, perhaps. Is anyone still doing deals on the Galaxy 2? Should surely have come down a bit by now.

It is free on Vodafone contracts, but they are out of stock. The best thing is to call your local Vodafone store and ask first.

It is free on Vodafone contracts, but they are out of stock. The best thing is to call your local Vodafone store and ask first.

That sounds very interesting. Will definitely look into that. I don't need the latest model, as I've never used a smartphone before. Just a good reliable one.

Then that is more than enough!
    I'd nearly offer you my near new phone as a swap if you got the Note II for me out of contract. ;)

Advertisement