Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Points forecast?

• 18-01-2013 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

I know it's extremely idealistic and all that but I really have my heart set on my firstchoice of Law in UCD at 495, and heard something about a release from the CAO in late January, early February that can give an inclination of the popularity of certain courses/fields that are popular among this years applicants. Is there any way to make an estimate of an impending rise or fall in the points for courses or is it will guesswork until the offers in august? A longshot but my it's torture working away unsure of any real reward disappointment at the end of it all...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ShatterResistant

I know it's extremely idealistic and all that but I really have my heart set on my firstchoice of Law in UCD at 495, and heard something about a release from the CAO in late January, early February that can give an inclination of the popularity of certain courses/fields that are popular among this years applicants. Is there any way to make an estimate of an impending rise or fall in the points for courses or is it will guesswork until the offers in august? A longshot but my it's torture working away unsure of any real reward disappointment at the end of it all...

I'd imagine it could be that once the initial CAO deadline passes, they will release provisional data of course preference figures.

Aside of the fact that these figures would change substantially between now and the close of the change of mind facility, points will be based on the performance of the students who applied for that course with regard to places available.

So in my opinion, no, you couldn't make any meaningful predciton from this release of course preferences, unless there was a drastic fall/rise in applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 iRooter

Are the points for Engineering going to go up , down or stay as is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ShatterResistant

iRooter wrote: »
    Are the points for Engineering going to go up , down or stay as is ?

Obviously my post above is fairly irrelevant :rolleyes: :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I considered Law until my friend whos father is a barrister and her mother is a solicitor told her that even if she wants to enter a law career to do a normal course and then train as a solicitor as you dont need a law degree to be a solicitor. I cant imagine increasing this year as there was a well know large law firm in Dublin get rid of its several hundred training law student as theyre was no jobs for them.

Put if you want Law put it on your CAO form even if you dont think youll get it and work hard until june. Even if you dont get it. Be proud that you tried

Advertisement