Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing in the UK

Options
  • 18-01-2013 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I am hoping to trade a rifle I have for one that I have spotted in the UK. (Sportsman Gun Centre)

Its a "like for like" substitution. It there much paperwork to be done if I go ahead with the deal?

Also...They would like to see my rifle...so whats the story travelling to the UK? Will European Firearms Pass suffice just to bring the rifle over for a valuation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Invincible

Tac wrote: »
    I am hoping to trade a rifle I have for one that I have spotted in the UK. (Sportsman Gun Centre)

Its a "like for like" substitution. It there much paperwork to be done if I go ahead with the deal?

Also...They would like to see my rifle...so whats the story travelling to the UK? Will European Firearms Pass suffice just to bring the rifle over for a valuation?

I've heard some lads say the hassle free way is to do it through a RFD in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Please don't get 'Tac' confused with 'tac'.

Oh yes, I'm the one that 'rants'.....

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Tac wrote: »

First of will Sportsman's trade with you???
    Will they get the export license for the firearm sorted to send it here????
    Will they sent it here???
    And last will they sponsor you for a visitor permit???

If you can get a 'Yes' to these 4 questions then your half way there to getting the firearm.
    Again if 'Yes' then you can get a sub sorted while thing are happening so that you can get the visitors permit going from their end.
    With all that in place then you can travel to the UK to collect the rifle.

Just read that you are trading your firearm so you will need a visitor permit for that as well.
    You will also need a Euro pass from this end from the local Garda station this is free, with your rifle on.

Now I have bought a rifle unseen from a private seller on a UK forum and got it here within 5 weeks, less even.
    But I did it the easy way by getting my local dealer involved. The UK dealer sent it to a dealer in the North that my dealer dealt with. That Northern dealer got the export license sorted as my dealer got the import license sorted as well. And as I got my sub sorted.

The Northern dealer then sent the rifle to my dealer. Total cost about €85.

Less pain and no work from me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

...and a whole lot cheaper that making a trip over to snow-bound UK that might just be wasted time...

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭cz223

they wouldnt send me a set of warne mounts last week after they answered my email to steyr mannlicher (them being the uk main importer)
    reckoned they would be jeopardizing their licence exporting a us made part to Ireland good luck with a "GUN".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

That is only because of ITAR laws parts and firearms sent from the us have to stay in the country they are sent to and have an end user licence as such from the department of state. You could get an export licence and import them from america if you want if they cost more than $100 you will need the export licence it costs $250 if it is under $100 you don't need to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Tac

Thanks for the replys everyone. Looks like getting my RFD involved is the best way.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

Crescent sports in monkstown Dublin deal directly and seem to have a close relationship with sportmans gun in the uk.
    Worth a try to see if he can help

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

mrbrianj wrote: »
    Crescent sports in monkstown Dublin deal directly and seem to have a close relationship with sportmans gun in the uk.
    Worth a try to see if he can help

And he's a GENT of the first order to deal with :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

juice1304 wrote: »
    That is only because of ITAR laws parts and firearms sent from the us have to stay in the country they are sent to and have an end user licence as such from the department of state. You could get an export licence and import them from america if you want if they cost more than $100 you will need the export licence it costs $250 if it is under $100 you don't need to pay.

No longer a requirement for an export permit for mounts/scopes in the US to Ireland.
    Got scope & 2 sets of mounts from the riflescope store, in CT, end of last year, you will pay some duty to the postman but that goes for all imports.

As for OP, may be better to ship to a dealer in the North, easy from there.
    Whenever this type of question comes up, some here seem hell bent on getting an Import Permits as required by dealers.
    No need, done it a number of times, and know others who have also. Got worried recently when told by a dealer down the country it could no longer be done, so asked in local Garda station, told no problem.
    Called a Section 7, as far as I remember. (saved old copies in a safe place somewhere, will scan and post next one) for "personal" importation of firearms or ammunition, fill out at the Garda station and valid for 72 hours from when the Superintendent issues it, usually a day or two after application in my experiance.

May be that being closer to border our Garda are more familiar with this than some further down the country,

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

323 wrote: »
    No longer a requirement for an export permit for mounts/scopes in the US to Ireland.
    Got scope & 2 sets of mounts from the riflescope store, in CT, end of last year, you will pay some duty to the postman but that goes for all imports.

It depends on the scope/mounts if they think it is up to military standards/specs it requires an export licence.
    There is nothing to say what makes it so which is why most shops won't take the chance of sending.

Advertisement