Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make that sound

• 18-01-2013 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I thought there was already a thread like this but couldnt find it (maybe there isnt).

I need help trying to pin point how to make an exact sound and its bugging the hell out of me.

Heres the song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU88c0f5-h0&list=FL9HI4WU0Qi_YV7MhYTXEFug

Incase the link doesnt load the song is - Nadia Ali, Starkillers & Alex Kenji - Pressure (Alesso Remix)

At exactly 1:00 in the song it plays some sort of synth or something with a flanger or phaser and im trying desperately to replicate something like it.

Could anyone shed some light on how this is done as im at my wits end here? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

sounds like a fast arpeggio patch with heavy compressor and possibly a touch of gate .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

Sounds to me like a pluck instrument layered on top of another one.
    Some phasing and slight bit of flanger, probably split between the layers. I sense there might be a hint of some mid to high frequency erosion to make it crispy-ish not to sure really. Definitely some compression going on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TheBrinch

hey sorry it took me a few days to reply

I really appreciate your answers guys. Will definitely give them a go!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

Can anyone tell me how to make the sound in this song? It comes in a 2:04. It sounds to me like some sort of reversed e-piano but I can't figure it out?

Also, how do you make the softer sounds at the start of each bar? The soft synth/piano type sounds? Thanks for any replies, here's the song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

The_Gatsby wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how to make the sound in this song? It comes in a 2:04. It sounds to me like some sort of reversed e-piano but I can't figure it out?
    If I was attempting to create this I think I'd use a basic soft synth piano patch with a fairly sharp attack and automate the pitch over the note. To me it sounds like there might be slight distortion on it then sent through a low pass filter.
    The_Gatsby wrote: »
    Also, how do you make the softer sounds at the start of each bar? The soft synth/piano type sounds? Thanks for any replies, here's the song

Maybe I'm being naive on this one but it sounds just like a piano patch with very short attack and decay

I could be completely off the wall on these suggestions though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

Thanks, I'll have a go and see how it comes out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Reckon this would be pretty easy for the more experienced producers, I was wondering how the warm stab that comes in at 3:08 & the pad like background rising noise that is throughout the track are made?

I was wondering how the warm stab that comes in at 3:08?

I reckon that's just a long pad note with a slow flanger on it and sidechained.

mordeith wrote: »
    I reckon that's just a long pad note with a slow flanger on it and sidechained.
    Do you mean the stab with this?

Do you mean the stab with this?

Are you talking about the repeated stab that fades in at 3.04 and ends at 3.38 (I may have picked your original question up wrong)

• Advertisement

mordeith wrote: »
    Are you talking about the repeated stab that fades in at 3.04 and ends at 3.38 (I may have picked your original question up wrong)
    Comes in at 3:07

Ha just noticed I never put in a link HA sorry, you ain't no mind reader I guess. https://soundcloud.com/george-fitzgerald/groove-theory-tell-me-remix

Comes in at 3:07

Ha just noticed I never put in a link HA sorry, you ain't no mind reader I guess. https://soundcloud.com/george-fitzgerald/groove-theory-tell-me-remix

Sounds to me like the stabs are some kind of e-piano or possibly an organ. It might have a teensy bit of reverb on it and sounds like some of the lower frequencies were eq'd or filtered out (there is a parallel bassline which could have had some frequency overlap).

Advertisement