Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with hkc secure watch

Options
  • 18-01-2013 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hoping someone might be able to give me some help.

Recently my alarm key pad was showing battery fault. I have ordered a replacement and am just waiting for delivery. Last night I came home and power was of at the keypad. I have opened the panel upstairs and noticed that a fuse has blown.

I have replaced the fuse with a 250ma quick blow fuse a number of times but it blows straight away. Has anybody got any idea what may be causing this or am I using the correct fuse?

The fuse that needs replacing is the one where the mains enter the panel and not the fuses on the circuit board if that makes any sense.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Conor

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That fuse should be 250ma/250v slow blow.
    When replacing disconnect the cable from the power supply to the PCB board just to eliminate any other problem. If it still blows after that there may be a problem with the power supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Conormccluskey

KoolKid wrote: »
    That fuse should be 250ma/250v slow blow.
    When replacing disconnect the cable from the power supply to the PCB board just to eliminate any other problem. If it still blows after that there may be a problem with the power supply.
    Thanks for the help KoolKid. I will go out and pick up them fuses now and give it ago. The fuse that I was replacing was a F250l250v that's why I thought it was a quick blow.

Looks like there is a problem with the power supply. Disconnected the power from pcb and replaced fuse and it blew again. The power transformer is labeled
    HKC Part CCT - 1001 33/00. Does anybody know where I can source this online or how much would it cost to call someone out to replace it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Any of the suppliers or installers in the sticky here could look after you..
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055956748

Shop around. This should cost you no more than €100 supplied & fitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

If you were going to spend €100 for one supplied and fitted you'd be better off buying a new panel and keypad for €140 and swap the supply yourself and have the second keypad for up on the landing or bedroom and having the board for a spare incase anything happens
    Is it an 6/10 or 8/12 panel ?

• Advertisement

And if your going down that route then replace with a Securewave or Siemens.
    No Installer I know would install a Securewatch now as a new panel. They are relatively old panel compared to whats available now in the same price range.

I would try source the PSU yourself first. I have some old ones you can have FOC if you want to get it going for now.

I only mentioned that incase the OP has a digi and it would be a shame to waste something thats not truly broken. There's nothing wrong with the 8/12s

Of course the securewave or Siemens would be a better choice but not if the only problem is the PSU

I never said there was anything wrong with Securewatches, its just their an old panel.
    There is nothing wrong with CS350s either but I wouldn't install one as a replacement for a panel now. I was installing Securewatch panels at the time I was installing CS350s.

All the OP needs for now is a PSU which can be sourced easy & fitted easy enough. It is interesting to see, though, how some people are able to escalate a simple job into an upgrade.:eek:

Thats why my advice is always the same. Conor, shop around if your getting someone out to do this job.

I never said there was anything wrong with Securewatches, its just their an old panel.
    There is nothing wrong with CS350s either but I wouldn't install one as a replacement for a panel now. I was installing Securewatch panels at the time I was installing CS350s.

All the OP needs for now is a PSU which can be sourced easy & fitted easy enough. It is interesting to see, though, how some people are able to escalate a simple job into an upgrade.:eek:

Thats why my advice is always the same. Conor, shop around if your getting someone out to do this job.
    Thanks KoolKid for your help again. I have removed the old psu as it was fairly straight foward. I am going to take it into new.ie tomorrow as I work beside it to see if they have a replacement part.
    Should this part be easy enough to source?
    I have had a look at a number of sites and think I have identified it as a 230v to 13.7v transformer ?
    I would like to upgrade the alarm at a future date but I don't have the budget at the moment for an upgrade so I would like to get the old one up and running again if I could. It was working fine and suits my needs at the moment.
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions

If you were going to spend €100 for one supplied and fitted you'd be better off buying a new panel and keypad for €140 and swap the supply yourself and have the second keypad for up on the landing or bedroom and having the board for a spare incase anything happens
    Is it an 6/10 or 8/12 panel ?
    It is a 6/10

• Advertisement

If you ring a few installers the should have plenty of parts going cheap ;) 6/10's are old systems

Thanks KoolKid for your help again. I have removed the old psu as it was fairly straight foward. I am going to take it into new.ie tomorrow as I work beside it to see if they have a replacement part.
    I have had a look at a number of sites and think I have identified it as a 230v to 13.7v transformer ?
    I would like to upgrade the alarm at a future date but I don't have the budget at the moment for an upgrade so I would like to get the old one up and running again if I could. It was working fine and suits my needs at the moment.
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions
    Sorry a 230v to 18v transformer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭BowWow

No Installer I know would install a Securewatch now as a new panel. They are relatively old panel compared to whats available now in the same price range.

Wish I knew that a couple of months ago! Bought one (8/12) to replace a Scopetronic Vista 5 that is more than 20 years old. It stopped working some years ago. I was going to go with a combined wired/wireless system, but the wired Securewatch seemed easier. Actually only started installing it today.

It should be yes.
    Again , I have some old ones there if your stuck.

BowWow wrote: »
    Wish I knew that a couple of months ago! Bought one (8/12) to replace a Scopetronic Vista 5 that is more than 20 years old. It stopped working some years ago. I was going to go with a combined wired/wireless system, but the wired Securewatch seemed easier. Actually only started installing it today.

Install wise they are very similar. It would have been no hassle at all.
    The suppliers should really have informed you of your options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭BowWow

Thanks. If the Scopetronic is any good to anyone for "bits", you are welcome to it...

BowWow wrote: »
    Thanks. If the Scopetronic is any good to anyone for "bits", you are welcome to it...

Besides a few fuses they go into the bin.;)

never used a scopetronic....

never used a scopetronic....

Not surprising as your not an installer & these were before your time anyway.

Erm thank you .....? I think ..

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I have just had the very same issue as the op.
    Have had a battery failure message on the display for the past couple of months, came home yesterday to a blown fuse (the 250 mA one).

I got a new battery and a pack of fuses today but the PSU is blowing the fuse as soon as I turn the power back on.
    Have tried disconnecting the PSU from the board and it still blows the fuse.
    With the battery connected the alarm system is functioning.
    So it looks like the PSU is the issue.
    Can anyone suggest where I can get one of these HKC CCT 1001 PSUs?

Thanks,
    Daniel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

dkane wrote: »
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I have just had the very same issue as the op.
    Have had a battery failure message on the display for the past couple of months, came home yesterday to a blown fuse (the 250 mA one).

I got a new battery and a pack of fuses today but the PSU is blowing the fuse as soon as I turn the power back on.
    Have tried disconnecting the PSU from the board and it still blows the fuse.
    With the battery connected the alarm system is functioning.
    So it looks like the PSU is the issue.
    Can anyone suggest where I can get one of these HKC CCT 1001 PSUs?

Thanks,
    Daniel

You should be able to pick one up in the suppliers here.

Advertisement