Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biorb life 45 l

Options
  • 18-01-2013 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all, looking for some advice. Looking at buying one of the above second hand. I know the globe biorbs get v bad press so just wondering is the potrait one better ? I'd have preferred a 60l but this 45l is pretty good value. Anyway any opinions on them ?i would like a tropical set up. I am a complete newbie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I have a BiUbe and all I can say is to stay as far away as possible. The internal filter is a nightmare to clean and I was always afraid of trapping fish under it. The best thing I ever did was get a proper filter. The air pump is also very noisy. The curved sides make it impossible to net fish if you need to. They look good, but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Wex1977

kylith wrote: »
    I have a BiUbe and all I can say is to stay as far away as possible. The internal filter is a nightmare to clean and I was always afraid of trapping fish under it. The best thing I ever did was get a proper filter. The air pump is also very noisy. The curved sides make it impossible to net fish if you need to. They look good, but that's about it.

Thanks for advice. They do look good ( that's the problem !!).my head says no to one but my heart says yes !!

Also, because of the shape of them there's little surface area so the gaseous exchange is terrible.

You can listen to your heart if you want, but you're head will spend the next few years getting to say 'I told you so'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Could you not just bend the net to match the curve of the tank ??

That'd make it useless for my big tank unfortunately. I'm much too lazy to buy a second net. I've found that the best thing to do is to drop the water level to a couple of inches and then use the net to block off escape on each side and chase the fish into it. The Biorb Life has flat sides so catching the fish should be easier, but it looks like it'd be fiddly trying to get the net in and out of the hole at the top. You'd also have to take the entire bubble tube and filter sponge out through that hole every 8 weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement