Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50GB free storage on Mega (Mod Note: First post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Big traffic volumes to the site. Very hard to log in.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

So can anyone give a summary of the advantages of this service? I'm hoping its an easy way to share large files with people who are not usually akin to downloading etc

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Jaggy

Still haven't been able to get on to the site, times out on every attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Is there an android app?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Just registered there easy enough. Tried uploading an 8mb file, dog slow had to cancel. 5kb/s uploading speed. Server may be under pressure. Nice enough interface and another 50GB of space is handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

1 million expected members in first month

Seems to be still huge traffic to the site.

No update from Kim Dotcom on twitter for about 12 hours. Demand must be unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

can't last with this amount of traffic.

It must be just 250,000 new users all trying to upload large files at once.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

1 million users in the first day, unreal. I'm trying to register at the minute, seems to have ground to a halt.

Best time for now would be early morning, 9-10am

Is Kim Dotcom's MEGA Just For Pirates, Or Do We All Need A Privacy Company?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Pretty nice and getting 50GB free is a nice bonus.
    I honestly hope people don't use it for piracy and instead for proper cloud storage such as pics/docs etc.
    If he gets enough people onboard and their pricing is excellent compared to dropbox and other rival services which so far is it then it could be very successful.

Blazer wrote: »
    Pretty nice and getting 50GB free is a nice bonus.
    I honestly hope people don't use it for piracy and instead for proper cloud storage such as pics/docs etc.
    If he gets enough people onboard and their pricing is excellent compared to dropbox and other rival services which so far is it then it could be very successful.

Agreed, the pricing is bang on... 50GB for €0.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Apparently all uploads are encrypted and the key is held by the user not the site. Kim Dotcom basically said because they won't know what's in the files they can't be prosecuted for illegal file sharing, which is presumably going to be the major use of the site.

mordeith wrote: »
    Apparently all uploads are encrypted and the key is held by the user not the site. Kim Dotcom basically said because they won't know what's in the files they can't be prosecuted for illegal file sharing, which is presumably going to be the major use of the site.

You may be right there, Kim is protected through ignorance but surely it is way more risky for pirates as they will have to share their keys to the files. That surely makes it less secure for pirates and easier to find them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

AntiRip wrote: »
    You may be right there, Kim is protected through ignorance but surely it is way more risky for pirates as they will have to share their keys to the files. That surely makes it less secure for pirates and easier to find them also.

Good point. It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

I need to try sharing a file, so I can't comment in full knowledge... But I think that they key is served through HTML5 and is picked up from your mouse algorithms and keyboard data... Therefore the user doesn't pass over the key, it is sent automatically, but not through Mega's servers... I'll have to look into it.

apparently users can share out their keys so it's a kinda technical blackspot on whether Mega can be sued since if the keys are available online (by users sharing them out) then Mega would be able to check the contents etc..
    good read of the below

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosner/2013/01/20/is-kim-dotcoms-mega-just-for-pirates-or-do-we-all-need-a-privacy-company/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

50G for free? Yes please. That more than covers my entire photo collection which I was considering using amazon glacier for. Will start uploading that from home.

The upcoming feature set looks very good (including linux mount support = might work well for data centre backups). I tried to upload a test file there though and it failed.

Khannie wrote: »
    50G for free? Yes please. That more than covers my entire photo collection which I was considering using amazon glacier for. Will start uploading that from home.

The upcoming feature set looks very good (including linux mount support = might work well for data centre backups). I tried to upload a test file there though and it failed.

I know. Nothing to be sniffed at. Between this, box (50GB) and Dropbox (50GB), I have 150GB online storage. Only think is, I only use Dropbox. Just seems better imo.

Oh, I've totally forgotten I have SugarSync, Wuala, SpiderOak, GoogleDrive and Maxxo also :) Unused obviously.

apparently users can share out their keys so it's a kinda technical blackspot on whether Mega can be sued since if the keys are available online (by users sharing them out) then Mega would be able to check the contents etc..
    good read of the below

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosner/2013/01/20/is-kim-dotcoms-mega-just-for-pirates-or-do-we-all-need-a-privacy-company/
    lol, link looks familiar.

I know. Nothing to be sniffed at. Between this, box (50GB) and Dropbox (50GB),.

Are you paying for that 50G with dropbox? Or is it from referrals or some such? I'm using dropbox for day to day stuff at the moment because they have a linux client.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Is there an android app?
    Mediafire offers another 50GB for free and has an android app.

Never used it so don't ask me about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Are you paying for that 50G with dropbox? Or is it from referrals or some such? I'm using dropbox for day to day stuff at the moment because they have a linux client.

You get 50Gb Dropbox space with the Galaxy s3. It lasts for 2 yrs, I guess they want to trap you as a paying customer in future.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You get 50Gb Dropbox space with the Galaxy s3. It lasts for 2 yrs, I guess they want to trap you as a paying customer in future.

got the same for mine...so far I'm only using it for camera uploads etc from my mobile.
    My SLR pics take up over 30-50GB in size so not an option yet and dropbox's pricing leaves a lot to be desired.
    A lot of the tech sites are a bit withering about Mega but I think they're all thinking the piracy route rather than the cloud storage route.
    I'll wait a few months and see how it goes before upgrading the package.

I've 50Gb on skydrive/box.net but I barely ever use them.

PS: S2 users get the 50gb as well :)

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Ah yeah, I have something similar with my HTC and thought wiser of it tbh.

I tried again today and still have not been able to upload a file (tried two computers, yesterday and today). Is anyone else having this problem?

• Advertisement

I tried again today and still have not been able to upload a file (tried two computers, yesterday and today). Is anyone else having this problem?

Just uploaded a 9mb file there in college (100Mbps upload) but upload was very slow. Copied link to be downloaded into url but getting error downloading

megac.png

Advertisement