Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog trainers in the midlands?

• 19-01-2013 12:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any contacts or names of trainers in midlands that they could suggest or PM me about.

few things I'd like to get worked on by professional have all the basics done

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Whereabouts in the midlands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Longford but will travel to the surrounding areas its not a problem

Longford is poorly served when it comes to qualified trainers or behaviourists I'm afraid... The nearest two I can think of are in Fermanagh, and Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Boogiewoogie

Hi OP

Would you travel to Tullamore?

DBB wrote: »
    Longford is poorly served when it comes to qualified trainers or behaviourists I'm afraid... The nearest two I can think of are in Fermanagh, and Galway!

And Tullamore :-D

• Advertisement

Tullamore is perfect only 45 mins from my place who am I lookin for there?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Is Kildare too far.

Cant recommend Judith in Dogwise highly enough.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Is Kildare too far.

Cant recommend Judith in Dogwise highly enough.

No that's not too far willing to travel to get all in order sooner rather than later

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

No that's not too far willing to travel to get all in order sooner rather than later

http://dogwise.ie/

Theres their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

There is a trainer in Raharney, Co. Westmeath (about 10km outside Mullingar, on the road to Dublin).

www.k9trainingservices.com

I have never used this trainer but she has been recommended before by other people on this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

Hellrazer wrote: »
    http://dogwise.ie/

Theres their website.

She very good actually.
    The guy outside of Tullamore trains trough fear, so i stopped going to him tbh. Nice man all the same, just thats his way i suppose. Not for me.

No, I don't think that's who boogiewoogie was referring to when asking would OP travel to Tullamore, because the trainer I know there is a qualified trainer, very experienced, and simply would not use rough methods.
    For the record, all of the trainers I recommend have some sort of formal training themselves, I'm afraid that self-taught trainers just don't cut it any more. There are a few trainers being recommended here who have not got themselves any formal training in the field of training, relying instead on experience alone... I'm sorry, but this just isn't good enough in this day and age, and I know that such trainers do resort to aversives that a trained trainer simply won't. The field of dog behaviour has made massive advances in the past ten years, and trainers who are not upskilling via recognised courses are not utilising these advances in their approach to training... It's just not good enough.
    OP, I'll pm you the contact details for the trainer I'm referring to in Tullamore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Do a lot of trainers insist on restricted breeds wearing a muzzle during agility classes? I thought it wasn't generally recommended because it's not safe. :confused:

Whispered wrote: »
    Do a lot of trainers insist on restricted breeds wearing a muzzle during agility classes? I thought it wasn't generally recommended because it's not safe. :confused:

The only place I was made muzzle a dog before was the vets and its because the vet doesnt like ANY dogs go figure even though its the most visiting animal to that clinic

Whispered wrote: »

Jayney... I have heard of this alright, I'd reckon it's possibly a condition of their insurance? Or, in some trainer's cases, their classes are run in public places (parks and the like), in which case the RBs would have to be seen to be conforming with the dog control laws.
    But owners would want to be really careful their dogs are wearing basket muzzles for any form of exercise. It's seriously dangerous to exercise a dog whilst restricting how wide he can open his mouth. Those canvas, funnel-shaped, close-fitting muzzles should only be used for very short periods in the vet's or other situations which involve only a short term wearing of the muzzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Dr Sunshine

paultf wrote: »
    There is a trainer in Raharney, Co. Westmeath (about 10km outside Mullingar, on the road to Dublin).

www.k9trainingservices.com

I have never used this trainer but she has been recommended before by other people on this forum.

I've used Jenny Hickey, K9 services, and would recommend her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I highly recommend Jenny Hickey too. Ive used her with my Rottie and know her very well and shes great!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Elista education/ Happier hounds perhaps? Roscrea or Abbeyleix areas I think they cover but check out the website to confirm it.

Advertisement