Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

500 Greatest Albums of All Time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Six.

Michael Jackson: Off the Wall, Bad, Thriller.
    Janet Jackson: The Velvet Rope, Rhythm Nation.
    Metallica: Master of Puppets.

Lists like this are a load of ****e though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I was about to open the list, then seen form the above post that Janet Jackson had 2 albums in the Top 500, and at that point I lost interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I don't really get the point of these lists but I counted what I have anyway. Unless I miscounted I have 186 of them, including everything by The Byrds, Love, The Beatles and Bob Dylan as well as Live At The Regal by BB King, Straight Outta Compton by NWA, The Chronic by Dr. Dre and too many others to mention.

I have a lot that I bought years ago and wouldn't consider them great now. Since buying The Stone Roses album I've discovered numerous bands I would listen to before I'd dream of playing their album. I haven't felt compelled to play anything by U2 in years. I can't remember the last time I played Thriller either. I have it on cassette which must be about 25 years old (it's the only one I have from the list on cassette rather than CD or record). My cassette has that 'Home Taping Is Killing Music' slogan written inside the cover.

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

I would have more respect for someone who owned 500 albums that were not on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭mosstin

SubBusted wrote: »
    I would have more respect for someone who owned 500 albums that were not on that list.

How very indie of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I counted there and got 31. Possibly have more, possibly have less. I was only going by the album covers that I could recognise.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

57 from looking at album covers.
    Going through it, it looked like Bob Dylans Modern times on it twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I've listened to 102. I was almost going to quit when I saw Green Day American Idiot but sure it's only Rolling Stone. I know it's far from being the most essential '500 Greatest Albums of All Time' list as most of Rolling Stones' readers tend to be a particular audience.

I still think the Rate Your Music top albums is the closest we can get to a real 'Greatest Albums' list as it's user generated and the website has a larger variety of users. Granted there is a good bit of overlap.

http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Really not bothered going through that list, but I'd have most of the Beatles, Beach Boys, Michael Jackson, Stones, Wilco and Radiohead records.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

200, conveniently enough.

These kind of lists are a joke, but in typical Rolling Stone fashion, they make matters worse by allowing compilations to be included. I may have missed a few, but I certainly spotted The Smiths' Louder Than Bombs, Madonna's Immaculate Collection, Abba's Definitive Collection, Elton John's original 1974 Greatest Hits, Buddy Holly's 20 Golden Greats and the Phil Spector box set, Back to Mono. This is absurd. Compilations should never be included in lists such as these, since they're not "proper" albums, recorded as a single body of work.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

What a yawn, all the usual suspects in the upper reaches and the top 5 all before 1970, so in other words none of the best 5 albums ever was made in the last 42 years. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

For the record: I have 32 of them, 33 if you count the video of "Stop Making Sense" by Talking Heads. Incidentally, I had 2 of the Top 10 - one of them is the #1 Album - Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (The Beatles).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

21 I got.If it wasn't for Neil Young and The Beatles i would of got 5 or 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

one page per album?? f*ck clicking through all that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I Think I have 44 of them unless I miscounted.

Revolver, Nevermind, Thriller, Led Zeppelin, Appetite for Destruction, Off The Wall, Led Zeppelin, Physical Graffiti, Led Zeppelin II, Late Registration, Remain In Light, Funeral, Is This It, The Downward Spiral, Bad, Ten, The Queen Is Dead, Doolittle, The Marshall Mathers LP, Tracy Chapman, The Slim Shady LP, Meat Is Murder, The College Dropout, Grace, Blood Sugar Sex Magik, MTV Unplugged In New York, Superunknown, In Rainbows, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Siamese Dream, Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not, Post, (What's The Story) Morning Glory?, Elephant, Kala, Californication, Vampire Weekend, In Utero, Back To Black, Live Through This, The Smiths, Vitalogy, Oracular Spectacular, White Blood Cells.

I don't understand why every list has The Beatles at number 1. They're not that great!!
    However, I'm biased as I immediately take a disliking to any list that doesn't have Michael Jackson at number one :pac:

one page per album?? f*ck clicking through all that...

Here it is in list form: http://www.discogs.com/lists/500-Greatest-Albums-Rolling-Stone/140759?page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

3 Beatles albums in the top 5, yeah... no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

A number of the 32 albums I have in the top 500 are by artistes that I have more than album by in the same countdown:
    The Beatles, R.E.M., Nirvana, U2, Pink Floyd. Between them, they must account for nearly half of my total.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

38 I think from flicking through the covers at the top. If you took out the rap albums I'd have barely any.

• Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭drumslate

this is really interesting

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I've 12 :o

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

64 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭trashcan

I don't understand why every list has The Beatles at number 1. They're not that great!!
    However, I'm biased as I immediately take a disliking to any list that doesn't have Michael Jackson at number one :pac:

So, the Beatles are "not that great" while Michael Jackson should be number 1?

Hmmmmmmmn. (In a Marge Simspson voice)

trashcan wrote: »
    So, the Beatles are "not that great" while Michael Jackson should be number 1?

Hmmmmmmmn. (In a Marge Simspson voice)

Exactly. Michael Jackson is the man :D

Advertisement