Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with a uk car dealer.Lost deposit . Any comeback?

Options
  • 19-01-2013 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Im not sure if legal issues is the right place, maybe consumer issues/motors but here goes.
    About 6 months ago I paid a deposit on a car in the uk which I found online. I was told it would be fully refundable if the car did not pass the AA inspection that I wanted to arrange as the car had "some cosmetic damage". I arranged the inspection and the car turned out to be a disaster. I then tried to contact the garage with no avail. Tried to block the transaction on my credit card but was told this couldn't be done. Knew by then I was taken for a mug, and transaction went through.
    At this stage all I have is the comprehensive report from the AA stating the car is unroadworthy, and a credit card statement with the money gone from my account.
    Is there anything I can do at this stage to try to recoup my money? Could I contact local police in the uk?
    The garage is not registered or anything like that as it seems to be a small independent body shop type place.
    Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Im not sure if legal issues is the right place, maybe consumer issues/motors but here goes.
    About 6 months ago I paid a deposit on a car in the uk which I found online. I was told it would be fully refundable if the car did not pass the AA inspection that I wanted to arrange as the car had "some cosmetic damage". I arranged the inspection and the car turned out to be a disaster. I then tried to contact the garage with no avail. Tried to block the transaction on my credit card but was told this couldn't be done. Knew by then I was taken for a mug, and transaction went through.
    At this stage all I have is the comprehensive report from the AA stating the car is unroadworthy, and a credit card statement with the money gone from my account.
    Is there anything I can do at this stage to try to recoup my money? Could I contact local police in the uk?
    The garage is not registered or anything like that as it seems to be a small independent body shop type place.

Did you use a Credit card or a Debit Card, did you ask your bank for a chargeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Think credit card chargebacks (if possible in this case at all) would need to be made within 3 months.

Do yo have it in writing that you would get the deposit back if car failed the AA Inspection?

UK Small claims court will be the way to go - its going to mean you have to take a day off work and travel over on day of hearing - of course even if the Small Claims rule in your favour you may have to enforce the judgement, this will incur you more cost. There is a big question of economics in play here.

You also have the option of the local trading standards for the garage selling the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Would agree with the above. Get on to Trading Standards. If you want help getting the details of the local one, PM me.

Get on to your CC company NOW and get the wheels in motion for the chargeback.

You can make a Small Claim via the courts online: Money Claim Online

Keep hold of the AA paperwork. If you're going to Trading Standards, you'll need it to show them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 timmyotoole99

No I don't have it in writing about the refund post car inspection. Only verbal. Credit card company at the time of the transaction would not let me cancel the transaction just told me to contact the other crowd to try to sort it, but they were uncontactable....

• Advertisement

That's not right. Was the deposit over £75 or E100? In that case, you can start a chargeback procedure...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 timmyotoole99

Yes it was more than that amount. How do I start a chargeback procedure? Can I still do it after this length of time?

How long ago did this happen? Think someone already said it's three months you can do a chargeback. Have a word with your CC people.

If that's not possible, then it might be possible to get redress via Trading Standards. You really need to get in touch with them and find out where you stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 supra300

the main lesson here is not to pay for goods in advance

supra300 wrote: »
    the main lesson here is not to pay for goods in advance

The OP didn't. He paid a deposit. See bolded part...

You're partly right though. With hindsight, maybe the Op should've asked the dealer to hold the car, paying only a token deposit, until they were able to get over, test drive, and get the necessary checks done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement