Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Library Question

Options
  • 19-01-2013 1:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭

Is there any way I can bring my Library of music from old Laptop onto new Laptop in one foul swoop? I know Windows System has some Transfer thingy I did try that once but I couldn't get it to do it. Any helpful ideas/suggestions/advice appreciated. :) Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gaelicyoda

Is there any way I can bring my Library of music from old Laptop onto new Laptop in one foul swoop? I know Windows System has some Transfer thingy I did try that once but I couldn't get it to do it. Any helpful ideas/suggestions/advice appreciated. :) Thanks.

Assuming they don't have Bluetooth connectivity, and you don't have a wireless home network set up, the easiest thing to do is get yourself a crossover cable and hook them up directly via their ethernet ports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

What's bluetooth connectivity and what's a home network ..... as in a network set up at home to work out of when not on an office-network computer or something is it? How much is that Cable approximately do you know? Like will they all arrive into my Library on new Laptop the exact same way they were in Library on old Laptop? All named and genre'd/categorized, no further formatting or sending from file/folder to actual Library required..... Or am I asking way too much of this cable?!? :cool: :)

I think I own a Bluetooth Dongle, no idea what it's for though! :o:rolleyes: Will that help in any way? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gaelicyoda

What's bluetooth connectivity
    I think I own a Bluetooth Dongle, no idea what it's for though! :o:rolleyes: Will that help in any way? :)

By "Bluetooth connectivity" I mean does each laptop have a bluetooth adapter (either one of those dongles, or it could be in-built into the laptops). They would each need one, but if they did, then you could 'push' your files from your old laptop to your new one - but God only knows how long that would take... it's got relatively slow transfer speeds compared to other technologies, but it depends on the size of your library I suppose. It's not meant for large data transfers really, but it is wireless, so should be easier to set up.
    what's a home network ..... as in a network set up at home to work out of when not on an office-network computer or something is it?

By "Home Network" I mean having your computers and devices all connecting to each other by means of an ethernet switch/router (wired home network) or a wireless witch/router (wireless home network). I'm guessing you don't by the sounds of it, so I won't go down this road any further.

How much is that Cable approximately do you know? Like will they all arrive into my Library on new Laptop the exact same way they were in Library on old Laptop? All named and genre'd/categorized, no further formatting or sending from file/folder to actual Library required

I don't actually know how much they cost (I would normally just make my own) but I'm sure €5 or so would be a reasonable ballpark figure to get one in a shop.

What you basically be doing if you went with this option would be creating a network containing 2 computers. I'm assuming here you're running Windows?

You would probably have to assign each one a static (and different) IP address, e.g. 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.11 - which is which is not really important (you can probably google how to do this for your particular operating system, and actually this whole procedure for that matter).

Once the computer can 'see' each other then, you'd share out the music folder on your old laptop (right click on the folder > share ... - make sure permissions are set up correctly: "Everybody" - read access) which would mean then that this folder would be visible from the new laptop. Then on the new laptop, you go into "My Computer", click the "Map Network Drive" button and browse through the network to find the music folder on the old laptop. Then all you do then is drag and drop from there into some location on your new laptop.

If you just selected the top level folder and dropped it in, you'd maintain the same folder hierarchy, etc.

Advertisement