Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs of making a derelict house livable

• 19-01-2013 1:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23

Hi All,

I know this wont be an exact cost but would any one have a rough idea of how much to make a derelict house habitable

Ive my eye on a 2 bedroom cottage in the west

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

how long is a piece of string

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Might be cheaper to knock it and start over...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Just how derelict is it? are we talking 5 years 50 years 100 years? Does it have a sound roof ,windows, doors, floors?. Has it seen generations of farm animals born and raised within its walls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ball park estimate; €9 million :P

Two questions; does it have a thatched roof, and is it very old? If the former, it may be listed saying you need to leave it thatched (and not tile it), and the latter would mean you couldn't put an extension on it, etc.

Some cottages are left rot, as it would cost twice as much to build bigger one. You'll often see a newer house nearby it which is twice it's size for this reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 Corindabhoy

Might be cheaper to knock it and start over...

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Dont be so ignorant. Coming on here as a new poster asking a stupidly openended question and then reply like that when somebody posts a genuinely worthwhile comment.

go waste your money on this project none of us care.

D3PO wrote: »
    Dont be so ignorant. Coming on here as a new poster asking a stupidly openended question and then reply like that when somebody posts a genuinely worthwhile comment.

go waste your money on this project none of us care.

go **** yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭cup of tea

I'm looking at buying a house in ireland, not sure what size house I want or where I want it to be located.How much will it set me back d'ya reckon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

go **** yourself

That's lovely. Spend every penny you have is my recommendation. Then borrow to the hilt and spend that too.

go **** yourself

enjoy your ban :cool:

• Advertisement

cup of tea wrote: »
    I'm looking at buying a house in ireland, not sure what size house I want or where I want it to be located.How much will it set me back d'ya reckon?

Three Fiddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭dienbienphu

its a good question but I can imagine its about half the price you would pay during the boom years. so if you can figure that out you have your answer...

cup of tea wrote: »

good question mate

prices are higher in Dublin but the low end of the scale in Dublin would be 50k - the average about 250K and then the upper end would be 500k plus

if you want to PM me what exactly your looking at Ill provide more details such as estate agents,lawyers,good websites etc

kind regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

go **** yourself
    No need for this.

In fact, seeing as you are looking for help, it is against your interests to do this.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

D3PO wrote: »
    enjoy your ban :cool:

Slap on the wrists only I'd bet :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

On topic, please

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Right so.

OP it'd be easier to guess how many blocks in the Great wall of China.

Fill in the gaps a bit.

Have you had any surveys done on it?

What condition is the building walls/roof/foundations.

Damp issues?

Land ownership?

What are your plans for restoring/renovating to what standard?

Are you looking to extend it, can you extend it?

What's the sewerage system like, main/septic tank?

Is there a power supply will you have to pay the ESB for a new supply will they have to out in pylons to get power to you. This will be a considerable cost.

What access is there to the cottage will you have to build an access road?

Before you even get going, all it will cost you is time to see if you can buy it and then to get a structural engineers report on it. It's more than likely the foundations aren't the may west. Then you'll need an architect for plans. You might have to apply for planning permission.

The bills just for the few services I've mentioned could run into thousands alone.

As one poster said how long is a piece of string??

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tictac2013

I had my eye on a cottage for 30k and was hoping to get it liveable for another 20k with doing all the work myself and buying 2nd hand kitchen/bathroom or even ones that where on show selling real cheap. If your going to pay for most the labour then the bill will rise alot.

What sort of budget do you have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

You'd also need to budget for gas and electrical contractors. It's illegal to get anyone that is not on the Gas Register (or whatever it's called here) to do any gas work. For safety's sake it's best to get a proper electrical contractor to wire the place.

I'm not sure about here, but certainly in the UK it's also illegal to get anyone other than a registered electrician to do any domestic work.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jimmydkid

I renovated a two bedroom cottage a couple of years ago, it was in pretty bad nick needed roof and windows and fully gutted inside. I spent €42k on it and finished it to a high standard, I done a lot of the work myself. You really need to do a lot of homework on those old cottages

• Advertisement

jimmydkid wrote: »
    I renovated a two bedroom cottage a couple of years ago, it was in pretty bad nick needed roof and windows and fully gutted inside. I spent €42k on it and finished it to a high standard, I done a lot of the work myself. You really need to do a lot of homework on those old cottages[/Quote/)

How much work did you do yourself and can you break the costs down gor us abit more.

sorry, messed uo my post above as im on my phone

cheers for the replies lads- the initial posters with their sarcy comments have showed me a darker side to this forum but the last few posts have showed me that not all the inhabitants of this forum are treacherous quislings and for that Im grateful

Next question my friends - should I get a quanitity surveyor ,structural engineer or an architect to have a look at the place and tell me how much it will cost to fix and how easy it will be for planning permission

how much would that cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

the initial posters with their sarcy comments have showed me a darker side to this forum
    structural engineer
    Get one of these in to see if the place is worth saving. Depending on how long it's been derelict for, it may be costly to get it back up to scratch. Also, it may be good to find out when the house was originally built, as some of the older houses may not have much in the way of a floor. Finally, find out if the area was flooded since the house was built, and was this the reason for the dereliction? Although some people leave a house due to death, it may have been seen as cheaper to let the house go than to try to fix it after fire/flood/etc.

=-=

Cost will vary, as some structural engineers are architects, but some architects may not be structural engineers. And some are cowboys. Try to get one by word of mouth.

the_syco wrote: »

Get one of these in to see if the place is worth saving. Depending on how long it's been derelict for, it may be costly to get it back up to scratch. Also, it may be good to find out when the house was originally built, as some of the older houses may not have much in the way of a floor. Finally, find out if the area was flooded since the house was built, and was this the reason for the dereliction? Although some people leave a house due to death, it may have been seen as cheaper to let the house go than to try to fix it after fire/flood/etc.

=-=

Cost will vary, as some structural engineers are architects, but some architects may not be structural engineers. And some are cowboys. Try to get one by word of mouth.

its 20 years old

any structural enigneers post here?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Corindabhoy - even if there are structural engineers who post here (which there certainly are), they are unlikely to identify themselves, and they certainly wouldn't offer professional advice on the very scant information provided.

I seriously suggest you read the forum charter if you wish to continue posting in this forum- and I'd also suggest you attack a post without attacking the poster, if you disagree with what someone else posts. It is not acceptable to attack other forum members. If you take umbrage at what someone else posts and don't feel capable of responding to the post without attacking someone- use the report post function (that triangle with the exclamation mark in it) to bring the post to the attention of moderators along with details of why you think the post is problematic.

Consider this a warning.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

Advertisement