Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Health Insurance - VHI International or Australian

Options
  • 19-01-2013 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

I am looking at getting some private Health insurance. The two options are either sign up to the VHI International plan or join one of the Australian Medical Insurer plans. I am a Permanent Resident.

Has anybody any experience of the VHI International Plan. This is appealling because if you moved back to Ireland you would not have to go through the 5 year waiting period to be covered for existing illnesses but some of the coverage does not seem to be as good as the Australian plans.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Maybe a stupid question, but will the vhi cover you if you are residing in another country?

I'm looking into insurance now too, never considered the vhi.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

We got Australian insurance when we moved here. There is a list of international health insurance companies who have agreements to recognise each other as insurers which means you don't have to serve any waiting period if you are insured with them. So we got BUPA insurance here, it's on the list so should be no waiting if we transfer back to an equivalent or lower level of cover with an Irish insurer on the list ( Laya and VHI as far as I know).

I remember an Irish friend who had the VHI international cover and had a serious accident requiring ongoing Physio etc. he found it a real pain to be dealing with calling back to Ireland to sort things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Will getting VHI not effect your tax/Medicare levy? Otherwise could end up paying an extra few %

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭someday2010

lg123 wrote: »
    Maybe a stupid question, but will the vhi cover you if you are residing in another country?

I'm looking into insurance now too, never considered the vhi.

Vhi International is a special policy that will cover you worldwide but you have to nominate a primary country of residence abroad.

I don't believe tHat you would get an tax rebate on the insurance here but the price I think is a bit cheaper than the Aussie policies ive looked at on the internet coming in at E84 per month or e130 per month for the best cover

The real advantage is that if you return to Ireland sometime in the future you don't have to go through the 5 yr waiting period for existing illnesses

I am just trying to find out if people on here have any experiences of VHI international or how have they found any of the Australian health insurers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Tuosist

I am moving with my family to Australia next month. I obtained an online quote from Medibank Private. The cover cost did not seem that different from Irish costs plus you get the rebate. I had asked my Irish insurer Aviva if they did anything but in the way of transfer or international cover but apparently not. what I am really annoyed about is that they don't recognise your overseas health insurance history. I have had private cover in the UK & Ireland for 14 years.

Are there any Australian health insurers that recognise international experience?

Thanks for any help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Tuosist

Medibank don't recognise Irish health insurance however Bupa do (well Aviva did not ask about the others).

when you sign up and complete a transfer form they will contact your insurer so that you have like for like continuous cover. excellent! Plus they offered substantial discount as I have an old Oz superannuation policy with AMP.

Happy with the customer service and helpfulness.:)

Advertisement