Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17hmr owners beware

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Bottle neck case can be a problem with some blowback operated semi autos, especially Rem 597. The gases come out of the bottlenecked case at higher velocity than straight wall .22s. The semi auto rifle can go out of battery before pressure curve is reduced and split cases or blow heads can result, with gas venting and damage to rifle (and sometimes shooter). There have been warnings and recalls of the Rem 597. Some folks were unhappy because the initial proposal was $250 credit per rifle and some had paid more than that. This was a big deal back in 08-09-10 and lots of stuff on the internet about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Sean Mullen

The topic im reading about is the cases are split before they are ever fired. The dates on the posts are may 2012 so its a recent enough problem and an on going one, i checked two boxes of my fedreal 17 hmr rounds and found one case split.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

FYI, Remington appear to have stopped production of their semi-auto .17HMR. Sales in the US and Canada have nigh-on disappeared since a continuous line of factory recalls and warranty claims.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 17 galwaymike

Had a problem with remmys back in Oct, out of 3 boxes I had 23 split cases before firing, all went through the rifle ok, never had a problem with hornaday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Constab2

Main reason I sold my two HMR's split cases nearly every days shooting on average 4/5 rounds out of every 40-50 fired.It is a big problem with any of the brands of that round I found.Pity because the calibre is brilliant for a rimfire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I have had some split cases recently with Hornady ballistic tipped rounds. I never had a problem with hollow points.

2013-01-20%2019.57.05.jpg

Top row are affected rounds, bottom two rows are hollow point casings.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

.17 HMR are all manufactured by CCI. The brass are worked more than the straight wall .22s and likely have a tendency to split without any help from a rifle. With a bolt gun in good condition, this should not be a problem to the shooter. However I have seen a couple bolt guns on the net with cracked stocks and blown mags, no final explanation of cause. Keep your rifle chambers clean and wear your eye protection.

Advertisement