Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap tower for encoding BluRays?

Options
  • 19-01-2013 11:58am

Mainly I use my Samsung Chronos laptop for my computing needs. However I've started to do a few BluRay to mkv encodes with Handbrake. The first one I did on the laptop seemed to send it into a meltdown. The fans started going crazy so I aborted it. I'd like a cheap desktop to do the encodes. Can anyone recommend one? No need for a graphics card so integrated will do. I'm not sure what's best for encoding stuff....probably a decent processor and a bit of RAM? I don't want a monitor to save on space and costs. I'd be using my HDTV. I'm fairly resigned to using eBay. It's the HDMI connection I'm not sure about. Most of the listings are for older units without HDMI. Are there VGA/DVI adaptors to connect by HDMI? Thanks for any help! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

You would be better building your own that way It'll be more specific to your needs and usually cheaper.

For what you need I'd go with an intel i5 or better still and i7.. You won't notice a massive speed difference but the hyperthreading will certainly help.. I'd be going for ivybridge CPU with quicksync 2.0 it's a lot faster to encode files.. It has some problems but all the threads seem to be old and alot could be resolved by now.. You might want to check it out
    Quicksync will encode to .h264 with mp4 or mkv container I've seen mp4 is faster but mkv is a better all round container IMO

I'd say you'd get away with 8gb of ram but you could head to 16

If you do look to build post a thread in building and upgrading and fill out the form and we'll spec it up for you.. Or ask yoyo to move this thread

• I don't want to build one or spend on the latest stuff though. I've been using an ancient Dell Optiplex at an internet cafe and it takes a 7-8 hours on that which is acceptable. I'm in no hurry. I just don't want to leave him anymore to do it. Thanks for the reply though.

Advertisement