Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physical activity in the City

Options
  • 19-01-2013 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

I am off the booze this month and finding London a bit boring.

I have tried a few alternatives to drinking: going to plays, the gym, shisha, nice meals but it's all rather dull without alcohol. Yes maybe I have a drink problem but that is a separate issue :D

So now I am thinking I need to find some group physical activity that would give me a buzz and am wondering what I could do in the evenings in central London. I live and work in the EC1-4 area so something around there. I am not particularly sporty as have spent most of my time in London thus far working or drinking.

All I can think of so far is 5-a-side or squash but there must be much more going on in London.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I reckon walking tours would be a good fit - it's physically active, it gets you better acquainted with the city overall, and it's a chance to meet new people without necessarily having to spend money. There are some free route suggestions here, and a whole bunch of paid-for tours a mere Google away (I won't post links merely because there are so many options it's better for you to just have a look around). I reckon the likes of the London Horror Tour Pirate Walk or Vampire & Ghost Walk. If you're looking for other people to do stuff with (which isn't a bad idea if you're going traipsing around unfamiliar bits of town at night) you could always post a specific suggestion in the Events & Gig Buddies thread.

Another one I've found a lot of fun in the past is capoeira - I know when I looked around a while ago for classes there were some instructors in certain areas doing open-to-all classes, and capoeira is less rigidly structured than many martial arts so it's more fun for beginners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

If you go to meetup.com and do a London search you'll find loads of groups for urban walks, and just about everything else! Well worth a look if you're looking for something new to do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

The new Sweatshop at Trump Street does 3 5k's a day 07.30, 13.00, 18.30

http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/storefinder.cfm?shop_ID=50

Only passed by it once in the evening time and saw a few people there. Been meaning to join one evening. The garmin route looks nice but not sure how enjoyable it would be with the volume of people around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭maggiep2010

now that your not hungover on a saturday morning, you should check out park runs (www.parkrun.org.uk). It is a timed 5 km run for all abilities, and takes place in parks all over london every saturday at 9am. Nice way to get fit and meet some people too..

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Thanks for the suggestions but I should say I get shin splints so I can't do running for prolonged periods. Anything else?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Find a capoeira class. Physical, get to make lots of friends and a real buzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

boxing classes?

Advertisement