Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Env. friendly household products

Options
  • 19-01-2013 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there,

I'm only new to boards so not very sure where the best place to post this is but said ill give here a shot first! If anyone can point me in the right direction if needed that would be great!

I've been researching and have decided to "go green" and stop buying commercial household and personal products and start making them myself! I think it will be better for my family, and for the enviornment.

So I need to buy lots of ingredients in bulk, such as vinegar, baking soda, Citric acid, beeswax, glycerin soap, Castile soap, Shea butter, coconut oil etc etc. my problem is that I began ordering them all on amazon, at great prices, but the delivery was about €80 for €60 worth of stuff. .

Does anyone know where I can get this kind of thing at good prices, either online or in a shop.

Also if any body else is doing this I'd love some feedback.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

How big is your house? That seems like a very long list. I suppose it depends on what you want to do with all of it, I suppose. But I'd really recommend starting of very simply and not just rushing out, so to speak, to buy a whole load more stuff to replace the stuff you're getting rid of. If you want to share what you planned for the various things you might get some suggestions from people for alternative ways of doing things.

You really don't need to buy a lot of stuff at first. It makes more sense to make sure you're happy with what you're switching to before investing a lot of money. Baking soda, for example, if you don't already have any, is available in 500g bags for just over a euro (last time I was home anyway) in every supermarket and small shop. One or two of them is more than enough to get you going.

I did always find it difficult to buy lots of vinegar when I lived in Ireland since it was difficult to find larger containers. If you know someone with a cash and carry card though, you could ask them to get you catering size containers. If you have the time and the space, you could just make your own, too. At most then all you'd need to order online would be a mother of vinegar.

Oh, and if you mention what area you're living in, people might also have some suggestions for where you might be able to get stuff locally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 anonymus1268

I can help you with this, as i am in the same situation as you. I Buy baking soda, 3 kg, and citric acid from the Asia supermarket, good price. White vinegar 5 litres, from a shop called Buy-lo, exit 9 in the m50. They have other large format products. Lye for making soaps from woodies. I am in the search of shea and cocoa butter, now.

Advertisement