Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTPI time-til next bus signs

Options

Comments

One up at Riverside on the Tuam road - another going up on the other side of the road too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

They have a post for a RTPI bus sign in Rahoon installed recently. Bus Stop Inbound at the Juction of Bishop O Donnell Rd, Rahoon Road.(At the GlenOaks Hotel)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Does it accommodate for the times the hourly bus just doesn't bother setting off, or the frequent times a bus comes 5-10 mins early?

Pic works btw
    BA-BYDUCYAAQrNY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Was just wondering very recently when these would be installed because I thought they were planned for Q4 2012. Then I spotted one in Westside today.

Hopefully the signs will be accompanied by a website where the info is available and maybe even a phone app.

Does anyone know if the signs on some routes in West Galway will have info for both Bus Eireann and City Direct? I hope they do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

KevR wrote: »
    Was just wondering very recently when these would be installed because I thought they were planned for Q4 2012. Then I spotted one in Westside today.

Hopefully the signs will be accompanied by a website where the info is available and maybe even a phone app.

Does anyone know if the signs on some routes in West Galway will have info for both Bus Eireann and City Direct? I hope they do!

Website is already live http://rtpi.ie. I have used the plain text version for mobile devices before the DB app launched. I'd just bookmark the page with the stop(s) you want for example I think the stop mentioned above is http://rtpi.ie/Text/WebDisplay.aspx?stopRef=524181&stopName=Dublin+Rd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Might be obvious, but I will ask in case - does the name mean TO this particular destination? For example there is 405 Rahoon, or 405 Eyre Square. The stop number seems to represent both sides of the road rather than one bus stop, like in Dublin. So Eyre Square would mean TO the square, right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Spotted a RTPI bus sign installed in Roscam this morning :)...

I was wondering who this new mod was with 6000+ posts.

Just-Mary.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,467 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Does anyone know if the signs on some routes in West Galway will have info for City Direct? I hope they do!

Post edited but that could be fun.

For Online App - this to my knowledge will be provided by the NTA, whose current travel app lists times for both Bus Eireann and CityDirect. Believe funding for these RTPI bus sign's is also coming from the NTA.

21.01.2013 -> from http://www.rtpi.ie/ looks only to be Bus Eireann covered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Are the signs and website actually working off bus positions or from scheduled times?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

J o e wrote: »
    Are the signs and website actually working off bus positions or from scheduled times?

If it is anything like other bus systems it will be working off the bus position (or I hope so anyways). I remember waiting for the buses in Scotland when it would update if the bus was on time or running a bit slow, giving the minutes until the bus would arrive, always thought it would be a great idea for Galway. Great to see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There are supposed to be twenty rtpi's by the end of February to include seven at EyreSquare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

The whensmybus.ie site has also been working with the galway buses for a few months.

From what I've seen they can often be 2-3 mins early, once they pass the stop though they are removed from the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

There's one up at the Dublin road outsde the holy family school (not sure what the new name is).
    Stevek101 wrote: »
    Website is already live http://rtpi.ie. I have used the plain text version for mobile devices before the DB app launched. I'd just bookmark the page with the stop(s) you want for example I think the stop mentioned above is http://rtpi.ie/Text/WebDisplay.aspx?stopRef=524181&stopName=Dublin+Rd

I hope they learn some lessons from the DB app and either pre-load some data or set up the search services properly. It's really annoying when you have to wait for information to load before being able to search for a route/stop that you have the number for (and it's not like it's hard to do properly either).

edit: some coverage of it on Galwaynews
    Real-time passenger information is to be installed at 20 bus terminals throughout the city.

Galway West Labour TD Derek Nolan says four of these should be complete by the end of this month with the remainder installed by the end of February.

This list includes seven stops in Eyre Square, two on the Dublin Road and others in the Newcastle, Westside, Knocknacarra areas.

The display terminals use GPS navigation technology to monitor bus locations and estimate their time of arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Does anyone know if the signs on some routes in West Galway will have info for ... City Direct?

I don't think so.

The announcements last year were only about BÉ. Also, this article in the Galway Indo says they're going at bus stops
    one, two, five, six, seven, eight and nine at Eyre Square

The noticable omission there is of course stops 3 and 4, ie the ones used by City Direct.

(For the curious - map of all major city bus stops - stil deciding whether to update this with rtpi yes/no info, or to show that separately.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

dloob wrote: »
    The whensmybus.ie site has also been working with the galway buses for a few months.

From what I've seen they can often be 2-3 mins early, once they pass the stop though they are removed from the list.

The android app based on the whensmybus data is a tad amateur in terms of design but accurate so far in terms of times.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

The signs are up and running in Eyre Square today.

Working at Riverside too.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

Working everywhere to the best of my knowledge. And on the first day of 'rag' week......

Let's see how long they'll last...

Off again this morning at riverside.

• Advertisement

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    Working everywhere to the best of my knowledge.

The one beside Wards, opposite NUIG, wasn't running yesterday anyway.

Any more of these signs activated around the city? Is their a map of all the locations they are at on www.galwaycity.ie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

These signs are taking painfully long to get up and running, in the meantime, is there a website where I can track the progress of any of the city buses on their routes?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

buzz11 wrote: »
    These signs are taking painfully long to get up and running,
    It takes time to bed things in.
    in the meantime, is there a website where I can track the progress of any of the city buses on their routes?
    http://transportforireland.ie/real-time/real-time-ireland/ and enter the route number.

You can't track the buses as such, but it will tell you when the next bus is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I believe all it tells you at the moment are the timetabled times.

TBH, I'm getting quite frustrated with the signs, they've been turned on in lots of locations, and are busy giving out wrong information. I've lost count of the number of times I've been at a bus stop, the sign says the next bus is due in 5 (or whatever) minutes, and it's pulling up beside me. Or on Saturday evening in Roscam, the sign was dishing out Sunday evening timetable information.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Victor wrote: »

http://www.rtpi.ie and enter the route number.

You can't track the buses as such, but it will tell you when the next bus is due.

OMG That website is dreadful, its like something created from a episode of "Yes Minister" !

Not a bit user friendly and as pointed out, it only gives the timetabled arrival time, not what is happening in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

buzz11 wrote: »
    OMG That website is dreadful, its like something created from a episode of "Yes Minister" !

Not a bit user friendly and as pointed out, it only gives the timetabled arrival time, not what is happening in the real world.

Apologies, this is a bit more user friendly http://transportforireland.ie/real-time/real-time-ireland/

rtpi.ie isn't meant as the public interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Victor wrote: »
    rtpi.ie isn't meant as the public interface.

That looks a lot like an interface supplied for app builders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Walking past Westside Shopping Centre at half six this morning and the sign there was turned on and had info on it. I was on the other side of the road so couldn't see it, but it was in use anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Doesn't this website give the same info as signs, but for all stops
    http://www.whensmybus.ie/

It won't win any awards for usability either.

I've noticed if the bus is less than 5 minutes away it could arrive at any time, it seems to estimate it based on it stopping at all the stops.
    It's quick to remove the bus from the list once it passes the stop so at least you know you've missed it.

Advertisement