Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonald's Planning Permission - Blacklion Manor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Off topic posts deleted

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭McSheez

I totally get the health concerns of a McDonalds, and no parent wants to have to keep saying no every day when their kids are looking for some crappy food, but I think the traffic issue is a little overblown.
    I mean a drive through can only do so much. Not like it's gonna be a steady stream of cars, maybe one every couple of minutes. Next to the traffic of a school letting out it'll be dwarfed. They are kinda takin the piss in this day and age tryin to set up shop across from a school though.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

The town planners probably only have a vision of trying to create jobs in the town and generating revenue for local businesses. Look at that horrid factory they stuck on the link road to charlesland. Probably the biggest eyesore since charlesland but there were little or no complaints.

Charlesland is not an eyesore mate. Comparing it to a factory is a tad extreme and also insulting to the people who live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

McSheez wrote: »
    I totally get the health concerns of a McDonalds, and no parent wants to have to keep saying no every day when their kids are looking for some crappy food, but I think the traffic issue is a little overblown.
    I mean a drive through can only do so much. Not like it's gonna be a steady stream of cars, maybe one every couple of minutes. Next to the traffic of a school letting out it'll be dwarfed. They are kinda takin the piss in this day and age tryin to set up shop across from a school though.

Not entirely fair to blame McDonalds, the company. The vast majority of outlets are franchises and like any franchise operation, while McD's will help set up the outlet, they did not necessarily target that location.

The nearest drive thru that I'm aware of is long mile road, so this is gonna have a seriously large catchment area for those who can't be assed parking to pick up a happy meal or two. . .
    As for the stream of cars. Its never a linear thing. Some periods there'll be no cars. Other times there'll be queues back out on to the main road. This would be a safety concern for me. Bottlenecking of the only access point to the schools and residential area - being that there is only one access road.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭IanL

Can see the pros and cons but putting a McDonalds in the area I think will be good as will provide summer and part time work for schoolkids/students 16 and over which is a good thing. Will it affect the likes of Pebbles cafe? I don't know, but if I was in Stillorgan and fancied going for a coffee I wouldn't chose the McDonalds so I don't think they should feel too threatened. There is an issue with healthy eating but I wouldn't ban a McDonalds from coming into the area.

Two ways to look at it, pressure on parents to say no and relief for parents struggling to get money together for their kids, at 16 and over they need more cash and in these times them having a part time job can help the financial burden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,852 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Gordy6040 wrote: »
    Charlesland is not an eyesore mate. Comparing it to a factory is a tad extreme and also insulting to the people who live there.
    they are talking about the Factory (plastics i think) built on the link road. Well done for taking offence though! :D

EDIT: didn't read the original post well enough, I see the comparison with the factory now, which I don't agree with. Sorry.

snowman224 wrote: »
    Not entirely fair to blame McDonalds, the company. The vast majority of outlets are franchises and like any franchise operation, while McD's will help set up the outlet, they did not necessarily target that location.

The nearest drive thru that I'm aware of is long mile road, so this is gonna have a seriously large catchment area for those who can't be assed parking to pick up a happy meal or two. . .
    As for the stream of cars. Its never a linear thing. Some periods there'll be no cars. Other times there'll be queues back out on to the main road. This would be a safety concern for me. Bottlenecking of the only access point to the schools and residential area - being that there is only one access road.
    don't see the catchment area being that big, or related to the location on the Long Mile road. It is just a McDonalds, people aren't going to come from far and wide. If they are driving to get it, and not stopping off to eat it, your catchment area is a driving radius of 10 to 15 minutes so really we are talking Southern Cross to maybe Kilcoole (but I'd be surprised if there was much traffic from Kilcoole). Vast majority of business is going to be from within the Greystones area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Gordy6040 wrote: »

I own and live in Charlesland mate, and in comparison to the green fields that were here before, it is an eyesore and I'm sure Greystones residents had the same concerns when the planning notices went up about here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

Oldlegs wrote: »
    Could we get back to arguing the case for/against and not arguing people's reasons for having a view - they may be a Hypocrite (although that is not proven), but they may still have a valid planning objection which they want to raise now. "Play the ball, not the man !"

A voice of reason at last. Many of us do believe we have valid objections, hence why we are objecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

don't see the catchment area being that big, or related to the location on the Long Mile road. It is just a McDonalds, people aren't going to come from far and wide. If they are driving to get it, and not stopping off to eat it, your catchment area is a driving radius of 10 to 15 minutes so really we are talking Southern Cross to maybe Kilcoole (but I'd be surprised if there was much traffic from Kilcoole). Vast majority of business is going to be from within the Greystones area.

I agree. The vast majority of business will be local. Only anecdotal I know but I would never divert too far off a main road to eat at McDonalds. A close example would be Roscrea on the main Dublin to Limerick road. It was extremley busy at all times of the day when it was on the main route. Since the new road opened it's a lot quieter. I often drive to Limerick early and would stop for something there but I couldn't be bothered with a 5 minute each way divert and generally just drive on now. On the few occasions I have pulled in it's almost empty. 2/3 cars in the car park max.

To use another example, even the drive thru on the long mile Rd, which is tiny by any standards with a massive volume of passing traffic, is never that busy and i've often popped in between 1 and 2 which I would have thought is a peak time.

I do think the potential traffic problems are over played as it tends to be constant but light. I'm sure McDonalds will be addressing this in a further submission and it would be interesting to see the stats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Just an update from the Rathdown Park Residents Association, the majority of us felt the planning permission is not of great concern to us (individually) however, if a paying member of the estate feels in anyway that he/she has a good reason to object to the planning then we will write up a letter with any objection(s) stated.

The only concern we have is of the signage; not too big, polluting etc

We also need to contact other Associations for their input into the situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

Would be a good idea for you to examine the plans submitted before speculating.

In fact, the plans have been submitted by McDonalds Ireland and are clearly identified as such.

So it is the McDonalds company which is targeting this site and the 1000+ schoolkids across the road.

So it is the McDonalds company which is targeting this site and the 15000+ residents in the area.

I fixed that line for you.

We are trying to stick to facts where we have them and move the discussion away from the emotive topics and onto the actual application itself.

In fact, the plans have been submitted by McDonalds Ireland and are clearly identified as such.

Might be an idea for you to read exactly what I said and be less speculative with your own assumptions.
    McDonald's will assist setting it up. This can include site acquisition. Just cause the name on the planning appears as McD does not mean it is driven, or targeted by McDonalds.

I'd suggest you do something about it (but of course you wont)
    Better to spend your time attempting to pick holes in what I was offering as information, not opinion. Right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

Originally Posted by The Durutti Column
    Might be an idea for you to read exactly what I said and be less speculative with your own assumptions.
    McDonald's will assist setting it up. This can include site acquisition. Just cause the name on the planning appears as McD does not mean it is driven, or targeted by McDonalds.

I'd suggest you do something about it (but of course you wont)
    Better to spend your time attempting to pick holes in what I was offering as information, not opinion. Right?

Totally irrelevant. A franchisee did not submit the application, McDonalds Ireland did.

No franchisee ever does, in any business. The franchisor is responsible entirely for the setup of the business including any premises and any planning permissions required. It's McDonalds, full stop.

So it's not a question of McDonalds "assisting". They are doing it, they are trying to get it in under the wire before the new laws ban such outlets, and if they get permission and it is not overturned or rendered illegal they will either seek a franchisee or operate it themselves.

Hereafter, I am not entering into any tit for tat with people making irrelevant comments. I have stated my case, I have posted links to the planning application, to the WCC page for objectors, and to other relevant factual sources. It's a shame this thread is being populated by people who just want to rant, attack others, and uphold the McDonalds world view, but unfortunately that's how it is all across the brave new internet world.

Folks can we stick to discussing the planning application rather than silly pointless arguments over who submitted it. From now on arguments over mcds or mcds franchisees will be treated as off topic and as per my warning above will be infracted

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

They are doing it, they are trying to get it in under the wire before the new laws ban such outlets, and if they get permission and it is not overturned or rendered illegal they will either seek a franchisee or operate it themselves.

Wow! And to think you accused me of speculation...
    Do you sleep with tin foil on your head to stop the government reading your thoughts?!?!

Anyway, for the record I'm actually opposed to this project. Not because 'they're after us' but because it doesn't sit right with me for many of the points highlighted in this thread.

I seriously doubt however that McDonalds corporation are masterminding an operation to infiltrate Blacklion as an absolute priority in the overall scheme of things.

It seems this thread has run its course though. Perhaps it makes more sense to lock it bar updates to where and how to lodge objections for this who wish to.
    Just a thought.

The thread will be left open. There is no reason to lock it. Any problems with that send me a pm

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Spongebopp

Quick Recap - Where to view the planning application online and how to comment on it.

The planning application for the Greystones Blacklion Manor McDonald's drive-thru restaurant was submitted on the 18th January 2013, with a decision date of 14th March 2013.
    You have until Friday 22nd February 2013 to lodge your letters of comment to WCC planners. (5 weeks from the planning application receipt by WCC)

FULL details/plans/reference number of the McDonald's Blacklion Manor planning application can be found here:

http://www.wicklow.ie/eplan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=138028&LASiteID=0

FULL instructions on how to lodge a letter of objection/comment with WCC planning department can be found here:

http://www.wicklow.ie/Apps/WicklowBeta/Planning/AppComment.aspx

(MODS feel free to lock this thread now if everyone is happy with that)

You made the papers, see Yesterdays Sunday Times :)

Off topic posts deleted. This discussion is only about the planning

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭2 Hell and Back

What happens if permission is granted? There can be an appeal?

And if it is still granted can it go to An Bord Pleanala?

If the McDonalds is ultimately shelved, will they still have the permission for the leisure centre? Or is this plan completely off the shelf?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

If Wicklow County refuse or grant permission then an appeal can be made, the appeal is to An Bord Pleanala

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Did anyone hear the discussion this evening on Nwwstalk with George Hook?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

homer911 wrote: »

Are you going to enlighten us or just make a statement?

Are you going to enlighten us or just make a statement?

Classic George Hook style lazy journalism. Dr. Ciara Kelly is a regular contributor on the show. She spoke well and put her views forward however it was lacking any alternative viewpoint during that particular discussion. The discussion with Michael Graham was as you'd expect, extremist views for the sake of being extremist.

homer911 wrote: »

Newstalk - The Right Hook - George Hook, Monday 28th Jan 2013 - 21 minutes in - online player (part 1).

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/221/monday/1/?uniqueID=27359

If the McDonalds is ultimately shelved, will they still have the permission for the leisure centre? Or is this plan completely off the shelf?

My understanding is that the existing extension to the planning application for the leisure centre expires on 10th March 2013. 3 years after it was approved.

Copyright WCC - http://www.wicklow.ie/ePlan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=102221&LASiteID=0

While people may want a leisure centre there, it simply doesn't look viable.

Jackie Skellies failed as a privately ran gym in greystones.
    Shoreline in Greystones and Bray are quite close, and ran in conjunction with the Council who foot part of the bill.

No one has shown any interest, at all, in building a gym there, where planning permission already exists. If someone thought a privately ran gym/leisure centre in Greystones was a goer, they would do it, but they clearly do not.

Keeping the site for a leisure centre, basically just for the sake of it, is a waste, whether the site could be repurposed for a McDonalds, a pub, a play ground or whatever.

It is being discussed on East Coast in 10 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Shaneo87ie

Seriously if this is all some of you have to worry about then I feel bad for you guys. Believe me, your kids are exposed to a lot more/worse than just McDonalds. In most cases its the parents who will be taking the kids into the place, they ultimatly have the decision whether or not they buy the food for their kids. The kids watch enough tv to know what mcdonalds is, it's not going to be a surprise to them.

I agree that it would be a good boost for the area, and with their being a McDonalds in Bray already, I can't see there being a massive influx of traffic. Maybe for the first 2 weeks until the hype of it all dies down. I think its a shame to object against a company like this coming into the area, if it boosts jobs then it cant be too much of a bad thing.

This is coming from someone who is a strict eater btw. But I believe it;s unfair to object on the grounds of obesity in kids rising. In that case with is Lidl doing there? The sugar levels and salt levels in ALOT of the food they sell is through the roof.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement