Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonald's Planning Permission - Blacklion Manor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Shaneo87ie wrote: »
    Seriously if this is all some of you have to worry about then I feel bad for you guys. Believe me, your kids are exposed to a lot more/worse than just McDonalds. In most cases its the parents who will be taking the kids into the place, they ultimatly have the decision whether or not they buy the food for their kids. The kids watch enough tv to know what mcdonalds is, it's not going to be a surprise to them.

I agree that it would be a good boost for the area, and with their being a McDonalds in Bray already, I can't see there being a massive influx of traffic. Maybe for the first 2 weeks until the hype of it all dies down. I think its a shame to object against a company like this coming into the area, if it boosts jobs then it cant be too much of a bad thing.

This is coming from someone who is a strict eater btw. But I believe it;s unfair to object on the grounds of obesity in kids rising. In that case with is Lidl doing there? The sugar levels and salt levels in ALOT of the food they sell is through the roof.

Once again a warning to all forum members. Please stop personalising this argument

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Shaneo87ie wrote: »
    Seriously if this is all some of you have to worry about then I feel bad for you guys. Believe me, your kids are exposed to a lot more/worse than just McDonalds. In most cases its the parents who will be taking the kids into the place, they ultimatly have the decision whether or not they buy the food for their kids. The kids watch enough tv to know what mcdonalds is, it's not going to be a surprise to them.

I agree that it would be a good boost for the area, and with their being a McDonalds in Bray already, I can't see there being a massive influx of traffic. Maybe for the first 2 weeks until the hype of it all dies down. I think its a shame to object against a company like this coming into the area, if it boosts jobs then it cant be too much of a bad thing.

This is coming from someone who is a strict eater btw. But I believe it;s unfair to object on the grounds of obesity in kids rising. In that case with is Lidl doing there? The sugar levels and salt levels in ALOT of the food they sell is through the roof.
    for the love of xhrist..mcdonalds is welcome in greystones..open up loads of em why not a multistory mcds..BUT NOT OUTSIDE THREE SCHOOLS. lidl is there..the planning isint to do with lidl..it to do with mcdonalds..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Article in today's Wicklow Times (North Wicklow Edition) on the topic on page 5. Boards.ie also mentioned there and some comments by posters in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

Link here to East Coast FM listen again blog (7 days only).
    Tuesday 29th January 2013 - The Morning Show with Declan Meehan (10:00am hour).

http://eastcoast.fm/on-air/station-updates

Quick Recap - Where to view the planning application online and how to comment on it.

The planning application for the Greystones Blacklion Manor McDonald's drive-thru restaurant was submitted on the 18th January 2013, with a decision date of 14th March 2013.
    You have until THURSDAY 21st February 2013 to lodge your letters of comment to WCC planners. (5 weeks from the planning application receipt by WCC)

FULL details/plans/reference number of the McDonald's Blacklion Manor planning application can be found here:

http://www.wicklow.ie/eplan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=138028&LASiteID=0

FULL instructions on how to lodge a letter of objection/comment with WCC planning department can be found here:

http://www.wicklow.ie/Apps/WicklowBeta/Planning/AppComment.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭2 Hell and Back

Quick Recap - Where to view the planning application online and how to comment on it.

The planning application for the Greystones Blacklion Manor McDonald's drive-thru restaurant was submitted on the 18th January 2013, with a decision date of 14th March 2013.
    You have until THURSDAY 21st February 2013 to lodge your letters of comment to WCC planners. (5 weeks from the planning application receipt by WCC)

FULL details/plans/reference number of the McDonald's Blacklion Manor planning application can be found here:

http://www.wicklow.ie/eplan41/FileRe...028&LASiteID=0

FULL instructions on how to lodge a letter of objection/comment with WCC planning department can be found here:

http://www.wicklow.ie/Apps/WicklowBe...ppComment.aspx

The links you provided don`t work, not on my browser anyway... Can ya lodge a letter of support too? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Can ya lodge a letter of support too? :pac:

Yes you can.

The links you provided don`t work, not on my browser anyway... Can ya lodge a letter of support too? :pac:

The process is to "comment". So yes of course you can. You can also email as well as snail mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

Simon Harris is giving people an opportunity to provide their opinions on this, next Thur 7th @7pm in the Burnaby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

snowman224 wrote: »
    Simon Harris is giving people an opportunity to provide their opinions on this, next Thur 7th @7pm in the Burnaby.

Low turnout then as everyone hates the Burnaby... But seriously folks its a MCDONALDs not a chemical factory or something...

• Advertisement

Low turnout then as everyone hates the Burnaby...

No arguments here!!! and probably not from anyone else in Greystones! :)
    What a waste of a location for a pub.

But seriously folks its a MCDONALDs not a chemical factory or something...

As for your comment, did I say it was a rally against the proposal?
    Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

As for your comment, did I say it was a rally against the proposal?
    Nope.
    Well I cant see a crowd of yellow and red clowns showing up so I think it's fair to assume that the crowd will be made of angry antis! Genuinely surprised by the level of anger about this proposal. Not a fan of McDs but I know that they are not all bad. A great equal employer. Employ disabled people. Do provide reasonable value and standards of Hygiene. Coffee shops are good. Anyone would think they were the great satan.

Well I cant see a crowd of yellow and red clowns showing up so I think it's fair to assume that the crowd will be made of angry antis! Genuinely surprised by the level of anger about this proposal.

This has taken everyone I've spoken to by surprise given that they all remember the furore over the DART extension. The more recent residents to the town being the most vociferous in their opposition at the time. The big fear being gangs of daytrippers and anti social problems. I remember one particular character, the most outspoken of them all, had been a day tripper himself for many years before finally moving here. I met him on the DART to Bray a couple of years after it opened.

Having witnessed the plannning process first hand more than once, it quickly became evident that the planners know what they are willing to approve or reject and nothing will change that. While discussion and debate are important, they serve no other purpose then to give people a platform to air their views.

The planners will make their decision based on the merits of the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 jungledrums

Seriously it's pure Greystones bs. Has there been any protest about school specials in jokers or pinetos or their proximity to bus stops.
    Like the harbour, fight against it then give out about it not being finished. Give out about businesses opening in the town like sweet shops or restaurants or pubs.
    Christ anyone would think this place is called bittersville

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Now there's a very valid point, Jokers and Pinetos actively market towards school kisds with their school specials, McDonalds don't. Why has noone done anything about this.

Youll probably find there's less calories and fat in a big mac than a jokers Double Burger with cheese as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Now there's a very valid point, Jokers and Pinetos actively market towards school kisds with their school specials, McDonalds don't. Why has noone done anything about this.

Youll probably find there's less calories and fat in a big mac than a jokers Double Burger with cheese as well!
    And defo no horsemeat. You cant be sure of anyone elses. Not suggesting Jokers do either.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,851 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

This has been brought up previously and the responses are:

1. This is about McDonalds, if you want to discuss Jokers etc, start a new thread.

2. Jokers et al already exist, so whatever.

3. They are not right outside a school (walking past them is not a problem, though it will be a problem with McDonalds).

Fact. Sure at this stage mc donalds are proberly the better out of all the ff outlets for calories salt etc
    Btw what time does the bray branch open at?

1. This is about McDonalds, if you want to discuss Jokers etc, start a new thread.

3. They are not right outside a school (walking past them is not a problem, though it will be a problem with McDonalds).

3 useless and pathetic points

1. We ARE talking about mc Donald's
    2. "whatever"??? Is that teenager talk?
    3. Most kids walking home from David's will walk by either jokers, pinetos, centra, tesco etc etc. mc donalds don't have a child magnet at their front door.

• Advertisement

2. "whatever"??? Is that teenager talk?
    3. Most kids walking home from David's will walk by either jokers, pinetos, centra, tesco etc etc. mc donalds don't have a child magnet at their front door.

1. I agree.
    2. I don't think they actually said whatever, but that is what it translated too imo; they said Jokers et al were already in place so nothing could be done about it.
    3. I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

There are only two moderators on this forum so leave it to us please.

Matt's point is valid and stands.

DD9090 wrote: »

Please actually read my response.

The point brought up by Matt HAS BEEN BROUGHT UP BEFORE.

The three responses have formed the responses that have been made before.

I agree with his point, I was simply telling him what would be posted in opposition.

2. I don't think they actually said whatever, but that is what it translated too imo; they said Jokers et al were already in place so nothing could be done about it.

Plenty could be done about them targeting kids with meal deals. In fact a campaign against that is far more likely to be successful and in a short time. But let's face it, it's not really about that, is it.

Just add, I have no issue with them selling meal deals as once again, people have a choice as to whether they purchase them or not.

DD9090 wrote: »

As per previous moderation. A total joke.
    Matts' point is valid???

"mc donalds are proberly the better out of all the ff outlets for calories salt etc"

A brilliant statement of fact there. :rolleyes:
    Total nonsense.

"Jokers and Pinetos actively market towards school kisds with their school specials, McDonalds don't. Why has noone done anything about this."

The thread is about planning permission for McDonalds - nothing to do with behavior of existing outlets.

Would be an idea if you moderate content in an unbiase manner, rather than supporting (and thanking) the arguments you align with and removing comments you dislike.

The thread is about planning permission for McDonalds - nothing to do with behavior of existing outlets.

Told ya!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

It’s a fair comparison that seems to have hit a nerve imo.

In future if you have an issue with moderation use the PM function.

Swanner wrote: »
    Plenty could be done about them targeting kids with meal deals. In fact a campaign against that is far more likely to be successful and in a short time. But let's face it, it's not really about that, is it.

Just add, I have no issue with them selling meal deals as once again, people have a choice as to whether they purchase them or not.

At the end of the day, i don't think any of it is a problem to be honest.

The food isn't THAT bad in any of the places we are talking about.

The reason we have obese kids is not because they have an occasional (even once or twice a week) junk food meal, it is because they generally do little apart from sit around and chat or play computer games. It is the lack of physical exercise kids get (supposed to be 60mins of moderate activity a day) that is the problem. If they played football or basket ball even half as much as I did back in the day (and I was rubbish at both) they would easily burn off the calories of a cheese burger meal. But every day I pass lovely green spaces in places like Redford, or Charlesland, or in Bray and I see NO kids at all, even on beautiful summer days, none playing football or the like, none at all.

A massive percentage of kids can't do basic mechanical sporting actions such as kicking or throwing a ball that can be mastered at 6, by the age of 12!

Food isn't the issue in Ireland, it is simply the easy target. It is not getting your kids out the door and off playing sports or being generally and genuinely active.

Of course, this isn't to do with McDonalds itself, but just my argument against going after fast food joints (be it McDonalds, Jokers, Pinetos or whomever). They all have a place, it is our attitude to them, exercise, healthy living and general parenting (the ability to say NO seems lost to many parents) needs fixing. Running McDonalds out of town, or attempting to, is just a reactionary and relatively easy way of pretending to fight the actual issues that are at play, in my opinion.

At the end of the day, i don't think any of it is a problem to be honest.

The food isn't THAT bad in any of the places we are talking about.

The reason we have obese kids is not because they have an occasional (even once or twice a week) junk food meal, it is because they generally do little apart from sit around and chat or play computer games. It is the lack of physical exercise kids get (supposed to be 60mins of moderate activity a day) that is the problem. If they played football or basket ball even half as much as I did back in the day (and I was rubbish at both) they would easily burn off the calories of a cheese burger meal. But every day I pass lovely green spaces in places like Redford, or Charlesland, or in Bray and I see NO kids at all, even on beautiful summer days, none playing football or the like, none at all.

A massive percentage of kids can't do basic mechanical sporting actions such as kicking or throwing a ball that can be mastered at 6, by the age of 12!

Food isn't the issue in Ireland, it is simply the easy target. It is not getting your kids out the door and off playing sports or being generally and genuinely active.

Of course, this isn't to do with McDonalds itself, but just my argument against going after fast food joints (be it McDonalds, Jokers, Pinetos or whomever). They all have a place, it is our attitude to them, exercise, healthy living and general parenting (the ability to say NO seems lost to many parents) needs fixing. Running McDonalds out of town, or attempting to, is just a reactionary and relatively easy way of pretending to fight the actual issues that are at play, in my opinion.

Well put. In a nutshell.

• Advertisement

Swanner wrote: »
    Well put. In a nutshell.

There's a great feature on boards where you can "thank this post" which saves on useless contributions to discussions. Just a heads up. ;)

Anyway, at the risk of actually returning this thread to its original subject matter...
    While I agree with basically all of Mitch's opinions on diet, exercise etc.
    This thread is not about McDonalds in Greystones, in general.
    Its about the proposed plan for a McDonalds on this specific site.

Its obviously a polarising issue and this thread really seems to have run its course.

The planners will have the final say, so lets hope its the right decision whichever way it goes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement