Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonald's Planning Permission - Blacklion Manor

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

snowman224 wrote: »
    i.e. "Let me just spend half a page getting the last word in, and then everyone should leave it at that....."

Now who's being hypocritical!!! wink.png
    There's a great feature on boards where you can "thank this post" which saves on useless contributions to discussions. Just a heads up. ;)

Many thanks for that and your previous heads up. I now have a much better understanding of how you would like me to post on boards which I will duly ignore but thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

There's a great feature on boards where you can "thank this post" which saves on useless contributions to discussions. Just a heads up. ;)
    Swanner wrote: »
    Many thanks for that and your previous heads up. I now have a much better understanding of how you would like me to post on boards which I will duly ignore but thanks anyway.

Again, please refer to my advice above.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Swanner/Snowman - quit the bickering

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Am I correct in thinking you can view the name and address of the objector online? I so I think this is bang out of order to mention it on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭2 Hell and Back

Am I correct in thinking you can view the name and address of the objector online? I so I think this is bang out of order to mention it on here.

That seems a bit intrusive alright. An invasion of privacy of sorts. But whats new in this day and age with Facebook and smart camera phones etc, the worlds gone mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

That seems a bit intrusive alright. An invasion of privacy of sorts. But whats new in this day and age with Facebook and smart camera phones etc, the worlds gone mad.

It's not intrusive at all. This is public information and always has been. It's the same process that ensures the applicant posts a public notice in a newspaper and an A4 notice in a visible location on the site. It's also the same public process that allows you object. you can't have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭2 Hell and Back

It's not intrusive at all. This is public information and always has been. It's the same process that ensures the applicant posts a public notice in a newspaper and an A4 notice in a visible location on the site. It's also the same public process that allows you object. you can't have it both ways.

Fair enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Right ladies and gents, this has privacy implications.

Privacy is a MUST here on boards.ie. If any poster posts someones personal details, we are left with no choice but to issue a permanent ban.

I have deleted some posts as they are borderline

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Just to clarify, this thread is about a planning application and the for and against views. The op mentioned the name of the company who made the application. I mentioned the written submission without giving the name. But anyone can view the names of the people who submit a submission either online or at the planning office. If someone makes a submission regarding a planning application they would know that it can be viewed by the general public. Surely if I cannot mention a submission then it stands to reason then that the application itself cannot be mentioned.

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Just to clarify, this thread is about a planning application and the for and against views. The op mentioned the name of the company who made the application. I mentioned the written submission without giving the name. But anyone can view the names of the people who submit a submission either online or at the planning office. If someone makes a submission regarding a planning application they would know that it can be viewed by the general public. Surely if I cannot mention a submission then it stands to reason then that the application itself cannot be mentioned.

As below John, personal details are all.

DD9090 wrote: »
    Right ladies and gents, this has privacy implications.

Privacy is a MUST here on boards.ie. If any poster posts someones personal details, we are left with no choice but to issue a permanent ban.

I have deleted some posts as they are borderline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

I kind of get what you are saying but at the same time I think it is unfair to pick on one objection on here. I have no idea of who she is, what she has said (apart from the choice of words from Pix) but I just find it unfair to pick on one person. No one is going to object to anything if an anon forum can pick it to pieces. Do you get what I mean Swanner? We can all agree or disagree but .... ah I don't know anymore. Be passionate but be kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

Don't forget the official terminology used in planning is "comment". We can all comment.

That simple word "comment" can mean a lot of things. Objections, points to consider, suggestions, can you consider..etc.

I do agree with DD9090 that whilst the information is available to those that seek to find it, they did not agree to have their details discussed on an internet forum. Just because something can be found online, does not automatically give anyone the right to share that in the wider spectrum.
    The planning process is an open and public one. In that context, your submissions/observations are placed on a public file with all other documents submitted. This information may also be placed on Wicklow County Council’s website.

No where does it state that information may be freely shared around the internet. You do all know that Google indexes every page of Boards.ie. Those that choose to share the information, I feel, would be on very sticky ground should WCC be made aware that an individuals details are being used for a purpose other than in DIRECT relation to the planning application.

Do not undermine democracy.

Don't forget the official terminology used in planning is "comment". We can all comment.

That simple word "comment" can mean a lot of things. Objections, points to consider, suggestions, can you consider..etc.

I do agree with DD9090 that whilst the information is available to those that seek to find it, they did not agree to have their details discussed on an internet forum. Just because something can be found online, does not automatically give anyone the right to share that in the wider spectrum.

No where does it state that information may be freely shared around the internet. You do all know that Google indexes every page of Boards.ie. Those that choose to share the information, I feel, would be on very sticky ground should WCC be made aware that an individuals details are being used for a purpose other than in DIRECT relation to the planning application.

You put pictures of the planning notice on a public forum. I don't have any arguement with that but did the applicant want their notice freely shared around the internet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    You put pictures of the planning notice on a public forum. I don't have any arguement with that but did the applicant want their notice freely shared around the internet?

Let's set the record straight, IMO, there is a world of difference between a major corporation posting a public notice that the man on the street (literally) can view and someone's personal details submitted on a specific website / location (council offices).

A person would have to have an intention to view submissions, you WOULD not see them just walking down the street or reading the planning applications in the newspapers.

If people want to destroy (inadvertently or not) the very framework of democratic planning processes then god help any future plans this town may have.

No further comment from me. I've PM the MODS so my views are clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Ms Minnie Mouse

Hmmm, let's not forget that planning notices list head office/planners/solicitors addresses, not personal home addresses. I can see how it could be quite intimidating to know your home address would be on public display for all to see. Could perhaps discourage people from submitting their comments for fear of retaliation. I'm not necessarily referring to this particular application but in general. There are some irrational people out there (have had to deal with a few professionally) who I certainly wouldn't fancy having my home address!

Hmmm, let's not forget that planning notices list head office/planners/solicitors addresses, not personal home addresses. I can see how it could be quite intimidating to know your home address would be on public display for all to see. Could perhaps discourage people from submitting their comments for fear of retaliation. I'm not necessarily referring to this particular application but in general. There are some irrational people out there (have had to deal with a few professionally) who I certainly wouldn't fancy having my home address!
    Because my post was deleted let me clarify that there was no name or address of the person who made the submission in my post.
    The name and any other details of the submitter are on the planning app. in Wicklow County Council offices and posted online by Wicklow County Council for all to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

This is rubbish. It doesn't have to be "stated" because it goes without saying.

Anyone who submits a comment DOES agree to have their details seen and discussed in public (offline or online).

You might think it's poor form or something, but people certainly do have every right.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Ms Minnie Mouse

John - I didn't see your post, it had been deleted before I arrived on the thread - mine was more a general comment re public access to personal information. Thank you for clarifying though :-)

mango salsa and I feel that this thread may have run its course.

There just seems to be bickering and sniping going on.

Everyone has had their say on the mater at this stage and it is now up to the planning department.

We feel there is not much more that can be said so maybe this thread should be locked.

If anyone feels strongly against this please Pm one of us and we will be happy to review.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement