Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonald's Planning Permission - Blacklion Manor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

The NIMBY-ism on this thread (and in the forum as a whole) stinks.

The OP invited opinion, yet has done nothing but argue with those who have offered one contrary to his own. Equating a fast food service to a lap-dancing venue. Really?

Why no objection to the opening of Pebbles, the shop next door or Lidl? They sell confections of many varieties to all who come through the door, yet the OP is quite happy to have the Pebbles on his doorstep, perhaps because it suits his own tastes.

My own experience is that I grew up near to Nutgrove shopping center, where the first Irish Drive-thru McD's opened. It is across the road from a primary school and in sight of a second. It is also on the main route home for a lot of kids from a secondary school too. Is it full of kids at lunchtimes during school terms? No.

When is it full of kids? Weekends and summer holidays. This is my experience of it. I rarely went to McDonald's growing up. My parents ensured we knew about healthy eating and provided lunches for us to take to school.

What I observe nowadays is that a lot of parents seem to just shove money into their kids' hands and tell them to get their own lunch. Giving children a free choice of salad or sweets will only go in favour of the latter, and that is what lazy parenting achieves. Kids from two secondary schools in the vicinity of my office use the nearby convenience store to get lunch, oddly, there's never a queue at the salad counter. The hot counter does great trade in chicken fillet rolls and breakfast roles, however.

This plaintiff cry of "won't someone think of the children" is nonsense. The same folks who are calling on those in authority to stop this will also have a good moan about the "nanny state" elsewhere.

Personally, I don't care that there's a McDonald's going there. It could open in Charlesland for all I care. I'll take responsibility for ensuring my child gets a proper balanced diet and from time to time she MIGHT get a McD's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Not looking for any personal information, but do you live in this area? I do and I WILL be affected. Hence my objections.

This sums it up for me. Not in MY back yard. I live nearby and have no problem with a McDonalds setting up here, in fact I really hope they do !!

Does it really matter where they are placed ? What if it was built on the Mill Rd and I have to pass it every day with kids in the car, can I object on that basis ? Come on. I presume you never drive by fast food outlets on the basis of your argument. That must be tough.

Why not see this as an opportunity to educate your child about making healthy choices ?

I'm so sick of this attitude that the state should nanny and regulate every part of our lives. It seems personal responsibility has disappeared completely.

But hey, thanks for enforcing your opinions on us through your objection and helping to ensure we don't get a long awaited McDonalds in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Ms Minnie Mouse

Third go at posting - bloomin PC

I am a NIMBY and I am proud of it. I have children who attend school here, I live across the road, I think it's an inappropriate location. I will be objecting.

A chain opening here will no doubt affect local business in the town but that is not the basis of my objection. The people of Greystones will choose whether they want to support local business or support an International fast food chain - that's up to them, not me.

HOWEVER, I do believe there are far more appropriate sites than on the ONLY ACCESS ROAD TO WHAT WILL BE THREE SCHOOLS. I would object to any fast food chain opening outside any school - however, this isn't an application for outside any school - this just happens to be outside the one my children attend and opposite where I live. Hence, my NIMBYism is by circumstance, not choice, which having read the thread, also applied to the OP.

I understand the OP's question - I can see why it might be difficult for people who will not be directly affected to see the point of view that a lot of us - who are directly affected - may hold. However, it does appear that those of us who do object to the location of the new restaurant are being accused to trying to hand over our parental responsibilities to the State/planners etc - no one is trying to get out of being a parent, we just believe there are more suitable sites than here.

It is, in fact, quite offensive to imply that objectors are 'Anti-McDonald's, Pro-State Control', which several people have done in response to the OP - that isn't the case at all. Many of us simply believe there are more appropriate places to locate a fast-food restaurant than on the access road to three schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

So really this conversation has not progressed much...

No matter where the McDonalds is your kids will want to go at some point. Having it in your face gives you the opportunity to have the conversation often about healthy eating and the reason why it's a treat. In fact, having it in your face would be good because you can use it as leverage. You be a good kid, do your homework, go to bed early and you get a treat of going to McDonalds. Follow through with not going if they don't do the above. Having it in your faces will remind your kid of what they could have AS A TREAT if they're good.

I still don't agree that kids walking home from a primary school will be going in if they are getting the correct amount of pocket money for a 10-12 year old. If they can afford a big mac or happy meal you are giving them too much money.

I know when McD's got planning in Bray they had to allow a budget for someone to walk the km radius of the restaurant and pick up any McDs litter. I don't know if you've ever walked around Bray but you'll never see any of their litter. Of course, kids that chuck stuff on the ground haven't had parents point out how bad it is by the parents. I just couldn't throw stuff on the ground as a kid. I knew it was bad.

I had to laugh at the poster who had sympathy for the kid who had his toys taken away for two weeks because he stole something...he was shown there was consequences for his actions, currently kids do not have consequences for bad actions and the most important thing a parent can give a kid is boundaries. Now physical abuse is too far but discipline has to be enforced in some manner and if taking away toys for a short while got the message home then what is the problem? I don't think the kid is emotionally scarred by the incident, it seems he/she is grateful it happened. I had similar things done to me as a kid such as having trips out cancelled because I'd been bold. That's what your parents have to do or else you just run wild.

Anyway, on topic, I really do think you're over reacting to the proposed McDonalds. If you're worried about kids in secondary school eating in McDonalds too much that won't last long. Teenagers care about their image, they don't like having bad skin or putting on weight. I can't see McDonalds doing much business to be honest and like I said, if McDonalds was some sort of magnet for kids then the one in Drogheda, serving 40000 people would be out the door all the time. It's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

In Bray it was a condition of planning that McDonalds had to employ litter collecters. You hardly think they did this off their own bat do you? This is a very good example of how planning regulations can create a better environment.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Anyway, on topic, I really do think you're over reacting to the proposed McDonalds.

So, any of us directly affected by this development, whether because it will be outside three schools, because increased traffic will affect us, for any reason - are overreacting.

I think, in this case, the planning application process should be done without, if people can't be trusted not to object! Save everyone a fortune!

In Bray it was a condition of planning that McDonalds had to employ litter collecters. You hardly think they did this off their own bat do you? This is a very good example of how planning regulations can create a better environment.

yes that's what I said? it had to be included in their budget. it still got built tho and it's right next to a number of schools.

yes that's what I said? it had to be included in their budget. it still got built tho and it's right next to a number of schools.

Yeah but what you said was a bit vague. I was clarifying that it was a condition of planning.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

So, any of us directly affected by this development, whether because it will be outside three schools, because increased traffic will affect us, for any reason - are overreacting.

I think, in this case, the planning application process should be done without, if people can't be trusted not to object! Save everyone a fortune!

well yes, that's what i said. And once again - if you're worried about increased traffic you should have objected to the hundreds of housing estates that were built in Greystones in the first place and the poor local public transport which means that if you live in these estates you have to have a car to get to your local shop.

you're welcome to object to it, i just think that you're fearing the worst and also not accepting that there may be some pros to the building of the McDonalds at the proposed site. We've already had a poster say that they went to school next to a McDonalds in Nutgrove but no one who is against the building of it has acknowledged his post. If you weren't over reacting you might be open to some other points of view.

anyway...object away...good luck!

I know when McD's got planning in Bray they had to allow a budget for someone to walk the km radius of the restaurant and pick up any McDs litter.

Thank you but I don't believe saying they "had to allow" was vague...it was obvious it was part of planning conditions...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

Very valid post there PrettyG, my stand is that many children from age 8 upwards walk to those schools without parents. There will be no way that parents can avoid their children seeing and walking into the outlet.

At the moment there isn't a major fast food outlet at the very entrance to the schools. Bray McDonald's isn't a drive-thru either, so not exactly the same issues over littering.

The post "blaming" me personally for blocking the development in Greystones is offensive as no where have I said I object in principal to an outlet if the town wants it. I just object to food linked to childhood obesity being marketed at a school entrance.

Do me the decency of reading the full thread, there are balanced arguments for and against. This certainly is not a one person crusade, so don't paint it that way please.

The nature of planning applications is that people are allowed to voice opinions and luckily in the democracy we live in, we are blessed with this right.

Feel free to write to WCC and show your support for the proposal. This forum is for open debate and so far (less a few personal jibes) it has been civil. Let's keep it that way and give the MODS an easy time.

We all want the best for our children. Healthy eating is just a part of it.

So thanks again PrettyG for not getting personal and your valid comments in support of the proposal.

We should ALL be grateful of free speech.

So, tell me - what are the pro's of THIS particular site? The only counter argument I've really seen here is about the jobs - which would apply anywhere. That, and of course, being told that those of us who are objecting are overreacting! I'm yet to see anything that even suggests why this is the most appropriate site for a McDonalds. I am genuinely interested. A debate is about both sides putting across their points (I know that Lifebegins seems to overlook this) - rather than keep repeating that 'the other side' is wrong - why don't we try to put over the pro/con arguments FOR THIS LOCATION. I believe I've already put my reasons for having issues about the proposed location.

This isn't a discussion about a McDonald's in Greystones per se, just the suitability of this particular location.

Swanner wrote: »
    This sums it up for me. Not in MY back yard. I live nearby and have no problem with a McDonalds setting up here, in fact I really hope they do !!

But hey, thanks for enforcing your opinions on us through your objection and helping to ensure we don't get a long awaited McDonalds in the town.

Long awaited is where we are going to disagree until the cows come home. An improved Guarda Station is long awaited. A new health centre is long awaited. A walk in A&E department is long awaited. There is an established McDonald's less than 5 km away.

Fast food is not a right, it's also not essential to development of society. Long awaited by some, unwelcome by others.

As I said previously, feel free to voice your support of the location to WCC. It's your right to do so.

So, tell me - what are the pro's of THIS particular site? The only counter argument I've really seen here is about the jobs - which would apply anywhere. That, and of course, being told that those of us who are objecting are overreacting! I'm yet to see anything that even suggests why this is the most appropriate site for a McDonalds. I am genuinely interested. A debate is about both sides putting across their points (I know that Lifebegins seems to overlook this) - rather than keep repeating that 'the other side' is wrong - why don't we try to put over the pro/con arguments FOR THIS LOCATION. I believe I've already put my reasons for having issues about the proposed location.

This isn't a discussion about a McDonald's in Greystones per se, just the suitability of this particular location.

Very valid points.

A McDonalds anywhere in Greystones will create jobs, not just at this one site.

So going by what this poster has asked, why is this location directly outside 3 schools the only viable option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 strawberrys

quikquest wrote: »

Just because there is a Mcdonalds right across from a school does NOT mean all the kids will want to eat it and it does NOT mean that parents and teachers are failing in promoting healthy food.

If a parent gives in to peer pressure from their kids - its obvious they can't control their kids but again, that is not our responsibility.

How exactly will their be an increase in vechicle traffic into the Blacklion complex? It's McDonalds and unless their giving out free food I can't see any increase in traffic :rolleyes:

If it was the case surely then all shops beside schools should stop selling sweets because their not healty? Yet sweet shops have been beside schools for years and I don't see kids rolling down the streets that attend those schools because their is a sweet shop beside the school.

If any kids are not eating healthy it is NOT McDonald's fault or the schools or yours or mine. Its is simply bad parenting.

I lived right across from a McDonalds drive through for 2 years - can't say I noticed any rubbish issues tbh. If their are no funds for the rubbish clearing - well then you need to take that issue up with the council.

Regarding Pebbles Cafe - 2 different business models so shouldn't effect them. If it is effecting them then obviously their is a reason why and Pebbles needs to up its game. maybe business will increase because if, going by your thinking, parents are "Peer pressured", maybe the parents will send the kids to Mcdonalds and they will grab something in Pebbles.

Ireland needs jobs and even though its only a restaurant it will provide them to the local area both internally and it will create external jobs (Bin collection, maintence, increase spending etc) Staff will be buying fuel going to/from work, car will need to be maintained etc.

You know people need to stop fearing what can and can't happen as everything your worrying about is hypothetical - and their is no point worrying about it as really it doesn't effect your life. (again I don't mean that to sound snotty it comes across that way in text) :D

A company wanting to start a business in Ireland offering jobs in this day and age should be welcomed with open arms and parents should be parents and control what their kids can and can't have.

It's just ridiculous to think teenagers on their school lunch breaks wont be harmed by the ability to purchase 1 euro burgers compared to a sandwich / roll in the shop for 3 off euro . They will be more inclined to ditch their lunch and grab a burger even if it's just to save their money.

We can't keep arguing jobs all the time. It should be balanced. Fine , have a mac Donald's in greystones but there are loads of other more suitable locations.

I seriously doubt it will be allowed go through at this site anyway due to all the objections that will be posted. An board plannala cannot ignore so many complaints

To voice your concerns or support over this Greystones McDonalds development you need to respond in writing to WCC (within 5 weeks of 18th January 2013) with a fee of €20 and quoting the planning application reference number. Found online at WCC planning enquiries webpage.

Full details of how to voice your opinions are online here:

http://www.wicklow.ie/Apps/WicklowBeta/Planning/AppComment.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Abinoo

Can't find the application on Wicklow.ie as was mentioned on the signage posted at the beginning of this board.. I imagine it should be up by Monday? Also, no current case number applied as that would normally appear on the site notice (I think)
    If anyone find out more info on site/app no., etc. please post it here?
    Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Genius on the part of McDonalds to be opening across the road from a very large secondary school. But I thought fast food restaurants clustering around schools was due to be banned like in many areas in the Uk?

http://www.independent.ie/health/health-news/no-fries-with-that-fast-food-outlets-to-be-banned-near-schools-2930735.html

"FAST food outlets are to be banned near schools, under plans being considered by the Government.

Children's Minister Frances Fitzgerald said she wants to see junk food exclusion zones set up around the country to help battle soaring levels of childhood obesity.

The latest report into child health in Ireland reveals more than a quarter of nine-year-olds are overweight or obese.

As part of the Government's response, Ms Fitzgerald said she is in talks with Planning Minister Willie Penrose about overhauling planning laws to halt hot food takeaways from opening near schools.

"We are in discussions with the Department of Environment to see if our planning regulations can be changed to ensure that in decisions about the location of fast food outlets, if there is proximity to a school, that that should be a reason to think again about whether or not it should get planning permission," she said."

Abinoo wrote: »
    Can't find the application on Wicklow.ie as was mentioned on the signage posted at the beginning of this board.. I imagine it should be up by Monday? Also, no current case number applied as that would normally appear on the site notice (I think)
    If anyone find out more info on site/app no., etc. please post it here?
    Thanks,

Not on the site notice. I posted image on opening post and states can be found online at WCC planning applications. As soon as is known let me know and will edit my OP.

Thanks Cheeky Chops for the link. I was aware of the UK planning restrictions and will mention the Children's Ministers views to WCC in my objection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Job creation, competition etc are good incentives for welcoming a business that benefits everyone, not just McDonalds or the people who like their food.

Greystones is still a small town and to put a drive-thru fast food outlet in that location would change the landscape for the distant future. Once it goes up it can't come down - businesses open and close but when have we even seen a McD's shut?

Drive-thrus belong on the edge of motorways or away from residential areas - why can't they build somewhere off the N11? It should not be the first dining option upon approach to the town.

Long awaited is where we are going to disagree until the cows come home. An improved Guarda Station is long awaited. A new health centre is long awaited. A walk in A&E department is long awaited. There is an established McDonald's less than 5 km away.

You can disagree but you're wrong. A McDonalds has been mooted for Greystones for about 15 years now. The last time there was talk of them opening was when the Meridian was being built but the small minority of do gooders and nay sayers got their spoke in then. Likewise we were to have an M&S but once again those with selfish self serving interests put a stop to that.

As for your other wishlist items, sure it would be great to get them but it's not relevant to this discussion.

Many of us would like to see them set up here. I like an occasional McDonalds as do my kids (Shock, horror !!). A drive thru would be even better as I love a double sausage and egg mcmuffin with 3 hash browns and a cup of tea for breakfast and would avail of it regularly enough. I don't go to the one in Bray cause I find it dirty and parking is difficult.

I just don't see the logic of your argument. If you can't monitor and control what your kids eat that's for you to figure out. The state already tell me how to live enough of my life and i'd prefer if they didnt keep intervening. But hey, it is a democracy and you are entitled to object. I do think some people will find anything to object to though and this smacks a little of that mindset.

Thanks Cheeky Chops for the link. I was aware of the UK planning restrictions and will mention the Children's Ministers views to WCC in my objection.

You are welcome. I would recommend you contact the Minister and see what the current state of play is. I would also contact local TD's and get an official response from them.

This kind of stealth marketing, particularly targeting the 11-18 age group who will not have their parents with them when they leave the school premises, is in my opinion abhorrent. I am amazed that anyone supports a famous fast food establishment with very cheap prices opening opposite a secondary school.

You can disagree but you're wrong. A McDonalds has been mooted for Greystones for about 15 years now. The last time there was talk of them opening was when the Meridian was being built but the small minority of do gooders and nay sayers got their spoke in then. Likewise we were to have an M&S but once again those with selfish self serving interests put a stop to that.

As for your other wishlist items, sure it would be great to get them but it's not relevant to this discussion.

Many of us would like to see them set up here. I like an occasional McDonalds as do my kids (Shock, horror !!). A drive thru would be even better as I love a double sausage and egg mcmuffin with 3 hash browns and a cup of tea for breakfast and would avail of it regularly enough. I don't go to the one in Bray cause I find it dirty and parking is difficult.

I just don't see the logic of your argument. If you can't monitor and control what your kids eat that's for you to figure out. The state already tell me how to live enough of my life and i'd prefer if they didnt keep intervening. But hey, it is a democracy and you are entitled to object. I do think some people will find anything to object to though and this smacks a little of that mindset.

That is the point - moderation is key. McD's opening opposite a secondary school is temptation to the supreme and if you have teenagers you'd realise there is only so much policing you can do. With the best will in the world a fries and burger costing a few euros is going to be difficult to resist. IMHO we have a duty to our kids not to allow this to happen at this location.

And I am not a do gooder. I am a parent. A parent that can add 2 + 2 together and realise that McD's opening across the street from a secondary school is going to impact on our kids health.

Why this location? We've already agreed this is not about the principle of McDonald's in Greystones, it is about the location. Why here? Why on the access road to three schools? I'm yet to see anything supporting the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

So really this conversation has not progressed much...

No matter where the McDonalds is your kids will want to go at some point. Having it in your face gives you the opportunity to have the conversation often about healthy eating and the reason why it's a treat. In fact, having it in your face would be good because you can use it as leverage. You be a good kid, do your homework, go to bed early and you get a treat of going to McDonalds. Follow through with not going if they don't do the above. Having it in your faces will remind your kid of what they could have AS A TREAT if they're good.

I still don't agree that kids walking home from a primary school will be going in if they are getting the correct amount of pocket money for a 10-12 year old. If they can afford a big mac or happy meal you are giving them too much money.

I know when McD's got planning in Bray they had to allow a budget for someone to walk the km radius of the restaurant and pick up any McDs litter. I don't know if you've ever walked around Bray but you'll never see any of their litter. Of course, kids that chuck stuff on the ground haven't had parents point out how bad it is by the parents. I just couldn't throw stuff on the ground as a kid. I knew it was bad.

I had to laugh at the poster who had sympathy for the kid who had his toys taken away for two weeks because he stole something...he was shown there was consequences for his actions, currently kids do not have consequences for bad actions and the most important thing a parent can give a kid is boundaries. Now physical abuse is too far but discipline has to be enforced in some manner and if taking away toys for a short while got the message home then what is the problem? I don't think the kid is emotionally scarred by the incident, it seems he/she is grateful it happened. I had similar things done to me as a kid such as having trips out cancelled because I'd been bold. That's what your parents have to do or else you just run wild.

Anyway, on topic, I really do think you're over reacting to the proposed McDonalds. If you're worried about kids in secondary school eating in McDonalds too much that won't last long. Teenagers care about their image, they don't like having bad skin or putting on weight. I can't see McDonalds doing much business to be honest and like I said, if McDonalds was some sort of magnet for kids then the one in Drogheda, serving 40000 people would be out the door all the time. It's not.
    i glad you find frightening and threatening little kids so funny..says a whole lot.

That is the point - moderation is key. McD's opening opposite a secondary school is temptation to the supreme and if you have teenagers you'd realise there is only so much policing you can do. With the best will in the world a fries and burger costing a few euros is going to be difficult to resist. IMHO we have a duty to our kids not to allow this to happen at this location.

I think you underestimate kids. They have had better education on nutrition and healthy eating choices then we had and in my experience they are not going to suddenly start gorging on McD's every day as they know it's un healthy.
    And I am not a do gooder. I am a parent. A parent that can add 2 + 2 together and realise that McD's opening across the street from a secondary school is going to impact on our kids health.

As am I. When my eldest, who is a teenager, heads out with her friends she is given money to get something to eat. Point being, we control her cash and in doing so we control what she eats and when. They already have the option of going to Joe's, Pinetos or Jokers. I just don't see why having a McD's option will change anything.

Why this location? We've already agreed this is not about the principle of McDonald's in Greystones, it is about the location. Why here? Why on the access road to three schools? I'm yet to see anything supporting the location.

Why not this location ? Personally I don't care where it is. I just don't understand why having schools in close proximity is an issue. Personal responsbility and education allow us to make informed choices. We teach our kids to do the same while monitoring and guiding where appropriate. Simple. If a kid is gorging every day in McDonald's, whose fault is it ?

Why not this location ? Personally I don't care where it is. I just don't understand why having schools in close proximity is an issue. Personal responsbility and education allow us to make informed choices. We teach our kids to do the same while monitoring and guiding where appropriate. Simple. If a kid is gorging every day in McDonald's, whose fault is it ?

Well to a certain extent I believe it is a combination of the fault of parents, educators, planners, the childs peers and mcdonalds. I don't think that the only people who have sole and entire responsibility for children are their parents.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Why not this location ? Personally I don't care where it is.

Therein lies the difference between us Swanner. I do care about where it is built - as to the impact it will have on my local area. It would appear that you simply care that it IS built.

To categorise my objections (rather than simply asking another question as an answer):

a) I believe that outside three schools is an inappropriate site. No matter how well we bring our children up - again, this is not an issue for me and won't be for several years as my children are young primary school age and therefore I am in control of their diets - they will be attracted by bright lights. No matter how well any of us raise our children, when they are outside our control they WILL be tempted to give in to peer pressure.

Yes, they may tell you when they get home that their lunch money went on a sandwich - you'll never be any the wiser (I'm using a generic 'you' here...not anyone in particular).

Some areas (both within and outside Ireland) have already put guidelines in place to prevent the targeting of children by fast food retailers. Concerns have been raised by government ministers over such activities. We can't all be wrong, can we?

b) I believe that the location at an already bad junction is ill-thought out. As I have stated before, I live almost within view of this junction, I have seen how bad this gets at busy periods. I have also seen youngsters, adults and a combination of the two nearly taken out by people jumping the red lights so they're not delayed getting up Windgates

c) A full review of drainage needs to be done before the go-ahead for any more road-side development is allowed to take place. Given the situation on Friday, this is an urgent situation which needs addressing.

d) McDonald's will be the FIRST dining option people will see when on their way in from the north of the town (this is a point I have read elsewhere which I hadn't previously considered - but feel very valid hence I'm including it on my list). Therefore, visitors are much more likely to stop there - either on their way in OR on their way out - to eat, as no-one forgets the Golden Arches and the parking is free - a facility which the in-town independent facilities are unable to offer. This money will not be supporting local business in any whichever way.

e) Do we really need more building/development at this point in time? There are other empty units available. I know the example of Bray has been cited previously in this thread - the main difference being that Bray was the redesignation of an existing building in a high street location, not the building of a purpose built facility at a small shopping parade.

It is interesting to note that the planning application refers to an amendment to the existing permission on the site to build a health and fitness centre. How times change.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement