Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best browser for XP

Options
  • 19-01-2013 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

I've used firefox with no issue sfor years on xp.Mind you used chrome too with none either so go figure!

Not much help I'm afraid

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Opera is a nice lightweight web browser, my recommendation for slower machines. firefox and Chrome can get quite bloated when open which may be contributing to the video playback issues

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭darren2368

I've used chrome for years without any problems. My laptop was also an XP sevice pack 3 machine, around 9 years old and it did perfectly fine running chrome.

Make sure that you've got the latest version of it, you can check by going to the spanner/menu on top right corner and select "About Google Chrome". It will tell you whether you have the latest version or not and automatically updates if it isn't. Adobe flash player is what's used for playing the videos so if you browser isn't the latest version then neither is the flash player and that can cause problems.

Give it a go and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 83,332 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Many bottlenecks could be causing poor YT playback. Im banking on a PC that old being a CPU bottleneck. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc and look at your Performance tab when the video is trying to play. What CPU model is it and how much RAM do you have. a 7 year old Pentium P4 is going to fare much better than say a 7 year old Celeron

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

K-Meleon is another alternative, very light on resources. My PC is equally as old OP, I run SRWare Iron on it with no problems(it's like Chrome without the privacy issues).

• Advertisement
Advertisement